“Very nice hotel,great location”

Mandarin Oriental, Barcelona
Ranked #27 of 517 Hotels in Barcelona
Reviewed 30 March 2012

As you would expect of a Mandarin Oriental, the hotel had very nice rooms, food(the AC worked very well),location and service. What really made this hotel stand out was the concierge desk. My wife, daughter and I don't speak Spanish and have some dietary restrictions. The concierge staff was able to direct us to great restaurants as well answering general tourist questions about the city.They definitely made our stay more enjoyable. The breakfasts were great! Probably the best example of service occurred during my wife's birthday.I called to request some cake for my wife. Room service put candles on the cake,brought champagne and sang happy birthday! The location was great.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank lenjoytravel
Write a ReviewReviews (1,444)

Reviewed 25 March 2012

Just returned from a week at the MO Barcelona. Overall the service is excellent. They are warm and friendly and try really hard, particularly concierge and Front Desk and bellmen.
The hotel is extremely well situated for sites, restaurants, and international luxury brand shopping. The ambiance and crowd are very chic and upscale feeling. Barcelona is an exciting beautiful and easily navigated city and the Mandarin is located right at the center of the action for a visitor.
We were actually deciding between the Mandarin and the Arts hotel where we have stayed on prior trips. Mandarin is more conveniently located and central. Arts has much bigger rooms with amazing city/ water views. Both have very good service. If you are looking for good value, this is not the spot. In fact we had some friends that checked out early and moved up the street for suites double the size at half the price at an historic well-known hotel in a similar location. We did not, but know in advance that this hotel does not offer you the most in accommodations for your money.
Restaurant recommendations were hit and miss. There was a terrible Tapas place around the corner that did not have one healthy item on the menu, did not have lettuce, or vinegar, and was out of two items on the menu we requested that was highly recommended. Don't go there. The hotel food itself is good so that is always an option. Other than the hotel I woud say our most enjoyable eating experience in Barcelona was the Boqueria Market on Las Ramblas - don't miss that! Truly amazing. Otherwise we found food to be weak or over the top expensive( ie Abac at over $300 p/p) It could have been us but we had a hard time finding quality, healthy upscale dining.
Rooms are well-equipped and well-designed with advanced technology. They are on the small side. Ours had a great shower, no bath, which I would have liked to have with all the walking one does in Europe. We were originally supposed to stay in a Junior Suite which is double the price of a regular room. When we went to check it out we didn't think it was worth moving b/c the room was next door, also on a low floor. They could not accommodate us for the full stay in the suite so we started in the room. We ended up staying in it b/c even though they asked us during make the reservation if we had any requests and we sent a request for a quiet room on a high floor, we were offered the suite on the 4th floor for a 7 nt stay we had reserved well in advance. We were supposed to receive an upgrade based on availability through Virtuoso, so either they don't upgrade, or it wasn't available, but I do wish that when we requested,quiet room/ high floor, when they in fact solicited special requests, with a form they send prior to your arrival that they had answered that our request would not be available.
Breakfast was included with our stay and was good, a nice buffet, but offerings did not change at all during the week we were there, so more exciting the first day, by the end we were grabbing a coffee to go and going out to try something else. There is a great well utilized bar, the Banker's Bar in the lobby. Hotel has a very upscale retail feeling with a Manolo and Tiffany stores in the lobby - not the most practical, but pretty. There are pharmacies, etc on the same block so you can get whatever you need.
Some issues during out stay-While downstairs service was top notch,housekeeping was just okay. In a week we received hair conditioner once and had to call for it and then it took 45 minutes. Ditto with Q-tips. There were three shower caps and four shampoos. Someone could not get the bathroom amenities straight for a week. Oddly for a luxury hotel, towels were noticeably rough, both in the room and spa .I do not recommend the spa. I had a massage the second day and planned on more but was not all inspired to return. I had a less than comfortable massage-room was cold, there were rough towels on the table both below and for a blanket. The therapist did not listen at all to what I requested though I speak both Eng and Spanish. I had to ask the spa front desk for a shower cap in the bathroom. I was sort of kicking myself for leaving a 20 percent tip out of habit b/c overall in was not a good massage experience.
The hotel is heavily scented with amber fragance both in the lobby and upstairs hallways. It is quite powerful and distinct. We were okay with it but it's surprising that they don't chose a lighter more universally pleasing scent. It is what you would expect to smell in a dark, Orientaliste hotel filled with old Persian rugs, not in a light / bright modern place like the MO Barcelona.
In summary it was a nice experience, but in the future I might return to the Mandarin or I might return to the Arts where I was given upgrades and incredible service at the club level. They are the best two hotels in Barcelona for different reasons. If I was with family/ teens or wanted to spend time on the beach I would definitely choose the Arts for the enormous room/ aptmt sizes. If I was a couple or single I might choose the Mandarin if the price was competiive and for the privilege of walking out the door to the fabulous Paseig de Gracia.

Room Tip: higher floor
2  Thank tripindicular1
Reviewed 24 March 2012

We had an amazing experience at this hotel. This was my first stay at a Mandarin Oriental, and it far exceded by expectations. I really cannot say enough good things about it. Service was impeccable at all times. The location was perfect with upscale shops very nearby, more moderate shopping one block over, two Gaudi buildings within a 3 minute walk (one was across the street and viewable from our room), and of course a doorman was always there to give us directions, greet us, and help us with a cab. We never actually had to wait for a cab because there were always several right there in front of the hotel. It was rainy when we were there and the doorman provided both myself and my fiance with umbrellas for our sightseeing. Front desk staff provided a map and all spoke excellent English. In fact, every single member of the staff spoke excellent English (this was not the case when we stayed in Valencia and Paris at different hotels) so we really appreciated it here. The room was beautiful, although a bit smaller than American hotel rooms. Every single thing I could possibly have wanted was already in the room ~ little things like bath salts, a bookmark, a magazine with an article on the Michelin starred restaurant in the hotel, electrical outlet adaptors, Ionic blow dryer (important if you are female), a remote control for the black out shade, champagne/white wine/red wine glasses, two different sizes of slippers, just anything and everything one could need or want was already there. The bed was very comfortable and the windows eliminated all outside noise. We were on the sixth floor and heard absolutely zero street noise (vastly different from New York City where I stayed in a hotel on the 31st floor of Le Parker Meridien and was kept awake by street noise). The black out shade was so effective and the room so quiet that I inadvertently slept until 1 in the afternoon.
You must check out the Banker's Bar ~ it doesn't have bartenders, it has mixologists. The cocktails were innovative and contained the freshest ingredients. The hotel was once a bank and the bar contains safety deposit boxes on the walls (and ceiling). There was also a lovely patio outside, but it was rainy so we didn't have the opportunity to enjoy that.
We also had dinner in the hotel and spent 4 hours in the spa. I will review those as well.
In summary, it is going to be very difficult for me to stay at any other hotel now. I am fairly sure they will have a difficult time measuring up to this one. Absolutely the pinnacle of excellence in all areas.

Room Tip: Choose a room with a bathtub. They don't all have them, and with the bath salts, it makes for a...
Reviewed 16 March 2012

This is my second trip to Barcelona.
MO Barcelona remains one of my favorite city hotels. Staff are professional and friendly. The hotel also cannot be in a better location.

Last time I didn’t get to try out their Michelin restaurant because it was closed for a Summer break, but this time I finally dined at MOments. MOments serve modern Catalan cuisine and we tried their tasting menu. Chef Raül Balam is very creative, with a strong respect for each ingredient’s original taste. His team picks the season’s finest and freshest, and create dishes with a modern twist to the authentic Catalan flavors. Presentation is also a key element here, as each dish is presented like a piece of art.
The 2 Spanish wines which the Sommelier picked were both excellent and complimented perfectly to our meal.

The next day, I went to the Spa and had two of their “star” treatments (offered only in very few places); the Bastien pedicure and the Linda Meredith Haute Couture facial (I was told the LM facial is a favorite of Kate Moss, Gwyneth Paltrow, Madonna and Jude Law)!!!!
The Bastien pedicure is exactly what I needed after much walking in the city. The leg massage soothed my tired feet and the pedicure gave my toe nails a nice clean natural shin (perfect as I especially prefer no nail coloring when travelling). Then the Linda M facial therapist analysed my skin (my face was calling for S.O.S. after much flying), and gave me a deep (non-harsh) cleansing and deep hydration facial – a much needed water plumping to my dehydrated skin.

Going back to our Suite, it is sunset time, and our Butler has already arranged my favorite cocktail (Banker’s bar signature ginger martini) for our enjoyment at the balcony! Salud¡ Así es la vida¡

2  Thank Trendspott
Reviewed 15 March 2012

I travel a great deal and thus, I am no stranger to hotels around the world.

I recently stayed at the MOB with my wife and two children (14 & 3). We were amazed by the service, food (great room service food too) and their exceptional customer service.

From the personal greetings including toys for our son Luke, the welcome notes and truffles in the rooms, a personalized welcome in the bath spelled out for Luke, an exceptionally helpful butler service and the overall overly helpful staff around the hotel we had a simply marvelous and relaxing time. And the bedding is simply wonderful.

I can assure you that whenever we take a break in Barcelona and whenever we are asked for a recommendation for a hotel in the city, it will be Barcelona Mandarin Hotel that we suggest.

...and make the time to check out their spa...!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family