“Great hotel, great breakfast, exceptional service”

Hotel Arts Barcelona
Ranked #67 of 517 Hotels in Barcelona
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 18 April 2012

We stayed at the Hotel Arts in Barcelona in February. We were a family of four. It is pricier than we would normally prefer but the deal we got included breakfast each day and the location really can't be beat. The rooms are clean and they brought in an extra bed which meant that my kids each had their own. The bathroom was large and there are lots of fun bathroom amenities.

The breakfast was the best I have ever had anywhere. The friendliness of the staff was amazing. Your glass was never empty and one of the chefs would walk around asking you if wanted anything fresh made. The presentation of the food was fabulous and on the fresh made churros and chocolate plate that they would bring to your table, there was often a written message in chocolate, like welcome, or hasta luego.

I cannot say enough about the staff who always smiled, always helped out, and always went that extra bit to make sure you didn't need anything.

The only negative I can say about the hotel is their charge for the internet which I believe should at least be free in the lobby. It's a hefty charge and for the amount you are paying already, seems a bit excessive.

I would avoid the restaurants along the harbor for meals. The concierge will recommend you eat here. There are much better and cheaper ones in the city.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank callehiedra
Write a ReviewReviews (4,836)

Reviewed 18 April 2012

The Hotel Arts, Barcelona (owned by Ritz Carleton), is lovely. The rooms are huge and tranquil (zen), and the service is amazing. Breakfast was included in our room rate and it was by far, the most varied and delicious breakfast buffet I've ever experienced in a hotel. Stay here and you won't regret it. I'd return in a heartbeat.

Room Tip: I can't imagine there being a "bad," room here.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 April 2012

We, me and my boyfriend, stayed at the hotel at the end of March in a superior suite. The view was great and the room clean and spacious. The staff was friendly. Only con is the wifi in the room for which you have to pay (EUR 25/24 hours) and the expensive breakfast which was not included in the room price (EUR 30).
I had a massage (EUR145 for 1 hour) which was good, but a bit expensive. The spa is located on the 57th floor, so great views on the harbour and beach. The spa is clean and quiet and again very friendly staff.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 April 2012

Hotel Arts Barcelona is a very good hotel! The service that we wanted was there, and we like the style and the decorations. We liked the rooms and the view and everything was great! The location of the hotel was very convenient to reach everywhere in Barcelona. There is only one thing that we would like to improve: the variety of the breakfast choices in the club lounge should have warm foods such as eggs, omelets, or pancakes etc. Other than that, we enjoyed our stay in Hotel Arts and overall, Barcelona.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 15 April 2012

Attended a conference and stayed on over the weekend. In the Marina District, the Hotel Arts has great proximity to the beach, and if you like walking, about 20-30 mins from Las Ramblas and the Old City. Taxis are plentiful, so no transportation issues.

Yes, the hotel lobby is on the first floor (not the ground floor) but hardly an inconvenience. Staff were all SUPER friendly and helpful. I arrived at the hotel about 10 am (overnight from US) and the hotel was able to check me in immediately. Much appreciated! Every time I asked the concierge a question, I ended up with a pocket map of Barcelona.

I had a king bed room, with an Eastern exposure. From the window, I could see the city (to the left), the Marina (straight ahead) and the Mediterranean off to the right. Room was very large by European standards. The bathroom was very nice, separate tub and shower. The shower was more of a mini-steam room complete with a bench to sit on. Water pressure and temperature was awesome.

We ate a couple of times in the hotel restaurant/coffee shop adjacent to the lobby and the bar. Never busy, the food was prepared well and the chef had some interesting versions of classic dishes. One that stands out was tiramisu. Instead of the classic construction, this one was "unassembled". Lady finger cookies were provided along with a small bowl of the prepared marscapone cheese mixture, and a separate small dish of cold espresso. Idea was you take the cookie and dunk it into the cheese and coffee. Quite good and I liked the novel presentation.

Some random notes:

Hotel dining is expensive. With the marina right next door, you have many other choices, although pickings are slim at breakfast (no, things really do not open before Noon in Barcelona!).

Did not try the in-room Wifi, due to price.

Watch out for the pod coffee machine in the room. My bad, I did not realize they were charging 4 Euros per pod until checkout. I am a coffee drinker, so OUCH.

If you like the hop on, hop off bus tour thing, the bus stops next door to the hotel (east about 50 feet on Avinguda Litoral).

The "Gran Casino Barcelona" is right next door. There is an entrance to the Casino right at the Hotel driveway/entrance. Not Vegas by any means, but a nice, clean casino. Some slots, video roulette and blackjack, video poker. Downstairs are the table games; you need a "ticket" to go downstairs which you get when you enter the casino (need passport to get in). Mostly roulette, some variation on 3 card poker (forget the name) and some blackjack. One corner of the floor is the "poker room". One thing to note, unlike Vegas, NO SMOKING in the casino. Yay!

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business