“Avoid!!”

Barcelona Zoo Entrance Ticket
Ranked #191 of 794 things to do in Barcelona
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Useful Information: Wheelchair access, Activities for young children, Activities for older children, Food available for purchase, Bathroom facilities, Lockers / storage
Reviewed 2 April 2018 via mobile

I usually enjoy visiting zoos but I will think twice about going to a zoo again after my visit to Barcelona zoo. We booked tickets before we arrived and got money off so I thought we had a good deal. Unfortunately the visit to the zoo left me feeling incredibly upset. In my opinion the animals do not look well cared for or happy. The enclosures are far too small and not appropriate for the large animals. To see dolphins swimming around in circles in a small pool was heart breaking. There were customers throwing food into the enclosures and when we asked them if they should be doing that they laughed and carried on. I saw no staff/animal carers whilst walking around the zoo. The only hope i have is the money I paid for the tickets paid for some animal food. Somebody needs to take action to ensure these animals are better cared for. I was looking forward to seeing all the animals but it left me feeling very sad on holiday. Avoid.

7  Thank Rebecca R
Write a ReviewReviews (3,645)
All reviews
"dolphin show"
in 323 reviews
"albino gorilla"
in 30 reviews
"wide variety of animals"
in 24 reviews
in 18 reviews
"euros"
in 81 reviews

Reviewed 30 March 2018 via mobile

Be warned... there are, sadly, still dolphins here. I would have avoided this zoo had I realised prior to entering. However, to rate the zoo as a zoo, it is massive and there’s tonnes to see. Mostly the animals look well cared for with good enclosures. In the reptile area, Some people seemed to find the mice (which were feed for the reptiles) to be cruel and didn’t like it... but seemingly were happy to watch dolphins?! However, the mice are already dead and it’s feed for the reptiles who only eat when they’re hungry so to feed them out of public View seems like it would be unrealistic.
As mentioned above, the Zoo is very good but I wish I’d done my research first as I wouldn’t have spent money knowing there were dolphins here so I can’t rate 5 stars.

Reviewed 25 March 2018

We caught the Metro down to the zoo as we knew that there would be quite a lot of walking involved! Before you go in to the zoo there was a special park for people to walk their dogs - such a brilliant idea, they could be off the lead and run around through the trees - the UK needs to make more parks just for dogs! Anyway, once inside the zoo we went to the restaurant for coffee and a pizza Margarita between the two of us. Unfortunately, there were a couple of British families there who let down our country with their behaviour. There were plenty of small areas to get something to eat and plenty of places to sit but these were not open, probably until Easter. We were lucky going on a day when although there were plenty of Spanish families the number of tourists was much smaller than during the summertime! We went into the Dolphin Aquarium and watched a dolphin having treatment for something like asthma. The other three dolphins were swimming around and doing some tricks. We were also lucky enough to see an otter, he was finishing his dinner - a salmon! There was a Humboldt penguin standing on top of a rock, every now and again he would shout - he sounded like a bear! We saw red pandas - asleep, lions, tigers, giraffes, elephants, white Rhino, hippos including a pygmy hippo, giant tortoises, gazelles, lemurs, chimpanzees, orang utans and some really funny monkeys. Some of them looked as though they had a bad hair day, then others had moustaches! There were gibbons, who when they came outside one of the young ones came out on his back legs holding onto his tail. The zoo was kept very well and they are also building a larger savannah area for the elephants.

Reviewed 24 March 2018 via mobile

There was a lot to see at Barcelona zoo, I would definitely recommend going! It’s good for all ages. The dolphins and sea lion attractions close at 3:30, so if you want to see them go before this time. The feline area was my favourite. The leopards, tigers, & lions all have big enclosures and look really well looked after.

The only down-side was the reptile room.

The reptiles themselves were very impressive, however, in one of the lizard’s tanks there were live baby mice in a bowl. This is obviously food for the lizard, however it was very distasteful, and cruel to the mice. My friend got very upset when she saw this. Other guests were also visibly upset/disgusted, and a few ushered their children away as they obviously did not want them to see this, as it was upsetting.

The lizard was sleeping, so clearly he wasn’t feeling hungry. I feel that the lizards/reptiles should be fed before/after the park opens, or at certain times of the day, instead of live baby foetus mice being left all day in a bowl for guests to see. Guests of various ages were upset to see this, not just the guests with children. It was quite cruel. This is the reason I am not giving 5 stars.