“Never stay here”

Gran Hotel La Florida
Ranked #201 of 513 Hotels in Barcelona
Reviewed 29 May 2017

I recently spent one night at the Gran Hotel La Florida in Barcelona. I am a frequent business and leisure traveller. The hotel is arguably the worst hotel that I have ever stayed in. I have stayed in Motel 6s that are better run than this hotel.

From the time I drove up to the hotel, to the time that I left the hotel, it was one disappointment, and almost disaster, to another. When I drove up to the hotel, the driveway/entrance to the hotel was jammed packed with cars. I had to wait on the street to drive my car to the front door of the hotel so that I could unload my bags. I then had to wait for the valet to park our car as there was nowhere to park, but also because the valet was also the doorman, the bellhop and the concierge. One individual was doing it all.

Upon entering our room (room 108 which is called the Japanese Suite), I noticed a foul smell in the bathroom, akin to sewage backup and that the room was directly above the hotel’s indoor pool with a large window overlooking the brightly lit pool. As that window afforded us no privacy, I immediately requested a different room. I was told at that time (around 7 pm) that the hotel was fully booked and that no other rooms were available. When I tried to go the bed around 12 midnight, I realized that I would not be able to sleep due to the light streaming into the room from the brightly lit indoor pool. It was at this time – around 12 midnight – that the hotel offered us a different room. I guess someone had checked out between 7 pm and 12 midnight. Since I would be checking out in about 6 hours, I decided to stay in the room. The front desk guy came up to the room to hang black curtains over the pool window to darken the room so that I could sleep while I lay in bed. Also, the wifi in the hotel was not working. I wish I could say that that was all that went wrong.

Before retiring to my room for the night, I had requested a taxi in the morning to take me to the airport at 6:15 am. I saw the front desk person write the request down in a book. When I went down to reception at 6:10 am, there was no one at reception and the front entrance to the hotel was locked. Very unusual for a hotel of this size. When I finally managed to track down a front desk person, it was clear that the hotel had not called a taxi for me. Now, normally this would not be a problem in a major city like Barcelona. But at this hotel, it is a big problem. The hotel is on a hilltop overlooking Barcelona, some 20 minutes from the center of the city. The hotel had told me upon check in that it was necessary to call for a taxi in advance as there are no taxis nearby. Since they had forgotten to call for a taxi in advance as I had requested, there was nothing that I could do but wait for the taxi which was finally called after 6:15 am.

I almost missed my international flight. Needless to say, I would not recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Japanese suite room 108 may be the worst room in the hotel
  • Stayed: May 2017, travelled as a couple
QMLaFlorida, Director General at Gran Hotel La Florida, responded to this reviewResponded 30 May 2017

Dear Julie L

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay at Gran Hotel La Florida. I am sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations; please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.
Service excellence is the pillar on which we build upon, and our aim is to consistently provide this to all our guests, so I am therefore disappointed that some aspects were not to your liking your stay. Your feedback has been well noted and been shared with the relevant departments. We are also addressing the service inconsistencies you mentioned and are currently investigating further. Please receive our sincere apologies.
We apologize for any inconvenience caused by the light of the indoor pool, in fact is the first time we receive a complaint in this sense, the Japanese Suite is one of the most requested by our guest.
Regarding to the taxi, please let us inform you that the delay of 11 minutes was caused by the taxi company, since the service was correctly requested. Please accept our apologies for the unrest caused.
On behalf of everyone here at Gran Hotel La Florida we would love the opportunity to have you stay with us again and we hope to be able to restore your confidence in us and look forward to welcome you in a future.
Sincerely

There are newer reviews for Gran Hotel La Florida

Reviewed 2 May 2017

Loved this hotel in every aspect, the views, the rooms, the pool, restaurant, everything was clean and lovely to be around. The staff were very helpful and couldnt do enough for you. The food was also very nice. I would definitely go back!

• Stayed: April 2017, travelled with friends
2  Thank sophien333
QMLaFlorida, Director General at Gran Hotel La Florida, responded to this reviewResponded 3 May 2017

Dear Sophien333,

Thank you so much for your nice comment! it is really rewarding for us to know that you appreciated our hotel and our personalized service.

Our aim is to create an boutique hotel with rooms and facilities with a nice and a friendly atmosphere. We are so pleased that our hotel and staff fulfilled all your expectations.

We are very much looking forward to greeting you again at the Gran Hotel La Florida.

Best regards,

Reviewed 1 May 2017 via mobile

This was our third visit back to Gran Hotel La Florida and with each visit it only gets better. The staff are all so welcoming with special thanks to Nicolas at the front desk for arranging yet another spectacular evening at AbaC restaurant, and to Xenia in Barcelonas restaurant who made our night so special with her superb wine pairing to complement the wonderful tasting menu.
If you visit Gran Florida you must indulge in a massage 'the journey to Provence' experience is truly the best massage and overall experience of any spa I have visited previously. Back to work for us now until maybe a few weeks to steal a quick weekend in Barcelona's hidden gem with the best view of the city.

Stayed: April 2017, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Catherine L
QMLaFlorida, Director General at Gran Hotel La Florida, responded to this reviewResponded 2 May 2017

Dear Catherine,

We would like to thank you for sharing your experience and letting us have your comments on your recent stay at Gran Hotel la Florida.
Nothing makes us happier than knowing that this is not the first time you come to the hotel. We strive very hard to try and meet our guests’ expectations and receiving feedback from our clients is really helpful and appreciated.
I am glad to know that our team helped you at everything that you needed. I can assure that your comments and my congratulations will be communicated to him, specially with Nicolas and Xenia.
We hope to welcome you soon
Sincerely

Reviewed 1 May 2017

My wife and I stayed here for three nights last week. Our room overlooked the mountains as we forgot to ask for a city view. We are arrived late on Monday night, having used public transport to Vallcarca and then a taxi from there. The Barcelona Tourist Board site suggests that a taxi for this journey is about 10 euros -It was 15 (which wasn't a problem)
We were given a junior suite. The night view of lights stretching out into the distance was very pleasant. The following morning the view was lovely. We had a side balcony which had a view of a part of Barcelona and the sea
but the weather was hazy so the sea was fairly indistinguishable.
Breakfasts were included in our booking (they appear to start at 28 euros) and there was a good choice.
The idea had been a budget city break, but I found this hotel (with breakfast included) for only £30 more than the three star hotel I had found, so it appeared to make sense. We were upgraded on arrival
On day two and three it rained - and rained and rained. From our fourth floor room, you could see the far side of the road outside and being at the top of the mountain-nothing else. This obviously extended to the front of the hotel where you couldn't see past the patio. This being our second trip to the city, this was weather we clearly hadn't anticipated ! If staying at this hotel the weather will make or break it, and I am sure we were just unlucky. Going into the city later in the day, the cloud was still stuck on the mountain whilst the city was just wet.
The hotel fully justifies it five star rating. The suite was lovely, towels, dressing gowns slippers and toiletries were provided and all were luxurious.The staff were extremely courteous and polite. The swimming pool, jacuzzi and sauna were enjoyable
We used public transport as we had bought a four day Barcelona Travel card (we didn't buy the Barcelona card as we had visited most of the places of interest on our first visit ---If on your first visit the Barcelona Card is 10/10 !!!)
One of the few forms of transport not included in the travel card is the Tibidabo Funicular (which is quite costly but five minutes walk))

There are bus stops visible from the hotel. I had read about a bus that goes straight to the city centre. It is the T2B but is seasonal. In April it only runs at the weekend.

The 111 bus runs from the stop opposite the hotel every 30 minutes. It goes up the hill (then over the top and down the other side and takes just under 10 minutes (with lovely views) to Vallvidrera to get the funicular (- The bus stops directly outside). We never waited more than a few minutes for the funicular at the bottom of which is the railway station at Peu del Funicular . There we never waited more than 5 minutes for the S2 train to Playa Catalunya in the city centre. The last part of the journey takes 15 mins. (bear on mind on the way back it is a short platform -the trains appear to have four carriages -some trains were walk though and some were not - get in the middle two to ensure you can get off)

On a downside the last 111 bus from Peu del Funicular appears to be at about 2115,so you may need to factor in cabs (but certainly not from Vallvidrera as we saw none there it is too remote.

If you stay at this hotel make sure you have breakfast included as there is nothing else nearby

If you do not stay at this hotel and visit Barcelona make sure you visit Tibidabo as the views are fabulous !!!!!!. On our first visit we went to Montjuic -the views here are much better. If going for the day the expensive funicular to Tibidabo would make sense BUT come out of the funicular station and turn left away from the amusement park-follow that road for five minutes or less and you will reach the fabulous views of the mountains which are also not to be missed

Stayed: April 2017
4  Thank NickofSurrey

First of all we would like to thank you for having chosen the Gran Hotel La Florida for your trip in Barcelona and for sharing such a lovely review with other travelers on Tripadvisor.

The hotel has an exceptional location which allows you to have the best views over the city. It's a shame that the weather was not very good during your stay

We are glad to know that we offered you a great experience and that you enjoyed your stay

Looking forward to welcoming you back next time you are in Barcelona.

Sincerely yours,

Reviewed 29 April 2017 via mobile

An expensive choice food a special occasion. The restaurant is nice and there is the possibility of booking for groups. Nice food, good service, outstanding spot. One should know this is a first class restaurant within the hotel La Florida.

Stayed: November 2016, travelled with friends
1  Thank Gonzalo M

Dear Gonzalo M

Thank you very much to share your good experience in our Hotel, specially in our restaurant.

We are delighted to receive such a wonderful review, and to know that you appreciated our gastronomy and service.

We hope to welcome you in a near future.