“Our favourite lunch spot in Barcelona”
Review of Cafe De L'Academia

Cafe De L'Academia
Ranked #181 of 10,750 Restaurants in Barcelona
Cuisines: Spanish
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Barrio Gòtico (Barri Gòtic)
Reviewed 5 June 2011

You cannot beat the location, in the beautiful Bari Gotic, surrounded by history.
We went there for lunch and the food was INCREDIBLE. We dined with another couple and each dish was equally as good. I had been craving greens (as it is hard to find in Barcelona) and I ordered one of their salads which was excellent! We all shared the eggplant terraine which was also fantastic, I had the half portion of rack of lamb which was amazing, my husband ordered the beef carpaccio which was also great and my sister in law had the best dish of all, the quail which was SO SO Good. We enjoyed a few good glasses of cava and the price was totally reasonable. I would have gone there everyday for lunch if I could have. Do not miss this place.

2  Thank katmahmood
Write a ReviewReviews (1,150)

Reviewed 26 May 2011

This is a lovely little restaurant. It is quite difficult to find, so bear that in mind. I had the duck pate with truffle toasted sandwich followed by guinea fowl and crema catalana - all absolutely delicious. We all considered this to be the best meal we had in Barcelona. The service was efficient and apart from waiting a while to order, it was perfectly appropriate to a leisurely meal. We were disappointed not to sit outside as it was a warm evening, but when we left it was because there was a fiesta in the little square, so we joined in with the dancing!
I did ring a week before to book a table (couldn't find an email address), and I was glad I did because the restaurant was packed.

Reviewed 19 May 2011

We asked our hotel about this place and they said to avoid it because it was expensive and a bit of a 'tourist trap'. We took their recommendation for dinner instead and were sorely disappointed. Out of curiosity we stopped via this place during the day and make a reservation for that night....best thing we ever did in Spain! The food was fantastic, the atmosphere was awesome and the value was top notch.

The second night was even better than the first!

3 tips though. 1) Make a reservation (doors open at 8:30 and try to arrive early due to queues) either by phone or visiting during lunch (we did both). 2) if they don't have the lamb rack then there's a divine lamb shank that's only found on the Spanish menu....superb! 3) I ordered the sirloin the first night and asked for it medium-rare, maybe it's a European thing but I think it was more rare (even blue in places). Medium would have been ideal for me in this case even. Though it was still very nice.

Enjoy, you won't regret going.

1  Thank Mrandmsa
Reviewed 8 May 2011

I was disappointed with this restaurant given all the fantastic reviews, maybe I just went on a bad night? The location and atmosphere of the recent is very good, we ate outside in the small square which was quite pleasant, the inside also looked appealing. The food was better than average but nothing exceptional IMO. Food seemed to be reasonably priced. The main problem was the service, absolutely shocking..................it took forever to get served and then a long wait for the food. The couple next to us who arrived shortly after us were only getting their main course when we were leaving. The waiter knocked my wife's wine over, an apology but nothing more no replacement and another wait before he arrived with a towel to clean it up.

Reviewed 27 April 2011

Despite a mix up with our reservation, the manager went out of his way to provide a suitable alternative. It was handled with warmth and elegance - that in itself is a recommendation of an establishment.
The food was excellent - good quality and some innovation, ambiance warm, good value for money.
Possibility to sit outside in the square - very pretty/ pedestrian area.

1  Thank cranny