“Superb pulpo and seafood platters in a non-tourist restaurant”

O' Retorno Restaurant
Ranked #984 of 11,104 Restaurants in Barcelona
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Eixample
Reviewed 12 August 2017

Dine amongst the locals in this hole in the wall neighbourhood joint and eat some of the best seafood in Barcelona without having to take out a bank loan. The Galician-style pulpo (octopus) plate is indescribably delicious. A must order. And the 'mariscada' aka seafood platter is magnificent to behold and even better to consume--razor clams (navajas), langoustines, prawns, mussels and clams all bathed in a moreish garlicky parsley sauce. Go with a group for this platter, otherwise it may be too much food. Get some pan con tomate and a few ice cold cañas and you have the makings of a fantastic meal in BCN. For dessert: Tarta de Santiago (old school recipe of almond tart that's not overly sweet) Go early, it gets packed.

Reviewed 12 August 2017

This is the first time that I give one star to a restaurant !!!
Service, food and managent sucks. We had scampi, when we told the waitress the darmcannal was not removed, suddently all her english knowledge was gone, I went to the kitchen same story, so I asked to speak to the management. They were really rude, they told me that if I didn't spoke spanish I had nothing to do in this place. unlucky for them I speake and understand Spanish. When I told her that the waitress told the guys in the kitchen I didn't have scampi , I was insulted by the guy of the kitchen, the manager and the waitress. They told me to leave, when a nice man explained me that in Barcelona they never remove darm canals , so if you re not a local and if dont speak spanish, stay away,. you know that i had to show my bill to prove my bill that we scampi before they believed me. This is a place for locals all though they have free tables they don't give them to tourists, I made my reservation by phone in Spanish, that's probably the reason why we were the only tourists...

Reviewed 31 July 2017 via mobile

This is an authentic Galician place that serves simple but delicious seafood and nice cold Galician beer. We were not impressed by the pan con tomate that is soggy and light on the tomate/olive oil, but that's not what you come here for anyway. You can tell it's a good place too because it's packed with locals.

Reviewed 4 June 2017 via mobile

Great great great great great Carmen
People food price say no more ...
on a the corner you would drive by 100 out of 100 times you need to stop !!!!!

Reviewed 2 June 2017

This is in the L'Esquerra de L'Eixample neighborhood at the corner of Comte D'Urgell and Carrer de Mallorca. It's not fancy... and may even look a little uninviting from the outside, but this is where 'locals' hang after work on Friday... according to a friend of a friend who lives in Barcelona.

We arrived at 7:30 and got the last seat outside. Note: Comte D'Urgell is a major evacuation route for workers on motor cycles going home from work. It is a little noisy outside. The group next to us were really into their food and especially their beer... and highly recommended the pulpo and potatoes as the best anywhere. Our server arrived... and went with the local beer and wine for drinks and the Pulpo e Potates, Butifarra with fried potatoes and what looked like a loaf of tomato bread.

The beer and wine came immediately... then the food a short time later. The octopus and potatoes were grilled with olive oil and paprika... and it was piled high on a dinner plate and was 1/2 of racion. The sausage was grilled and the fries piping hot... and again the plate was piled high. We had a racion of the tomato bread (the smallest serving) and it was four generous slices

As we ate our way through the feast... more and more 'neighbors' poured into the place. As soon as an outside table came free, somebody showed up. By the time we left at 9:00 the inside was packed.

The pulpo was rich and tender and practically melted in your mouth. The potatoes... ditto. The sausage was spicy and rich. The fires were perfect... crispy on the outside and fluffy on the inside. We couldn't finish our servings, so we didn't get to try some of the other offerings which looked great too.

The service is neighborhood friendly.. especially to only non-neighbors... and efficient. The bill... for more than we could eat... 32.00E. The experience was priceless as we met some new friends. .