“Popular lunch venue”

Price range: US$20 - US$60
Cuisines: British, Pub, Gastropub
Good for: Groups, Business meetings
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Description: Overlooking the beautiful green, we have sympathetically restored the gorgeous historic inn to create a warm, welcoming pub and brasserie. With plenty of nooks and crannies for leisurely lunches, family gatherings and quiet post-work pints with friends and colleagues and our garden perfect for the warm summer weather. Our light, open brasserie serves food all day and is becoming a popular spot for Sunday lunch and we are sure that our comfy armchairs in front of a roaring log fire will be hard to leave on a chilly winter's day. Whatever the reason for your visit, we're sure there is the perfect spot waiting for you so why not pull up a chair and let us look after you. We look forward to welcoming you.
Reviewed 4 February 2018 via mobile

I wasn’t sure if I should book a table for 4 on a Friday lunchtime but was glad I did as it was very busy and by about 1.15 virtually full. All had the set menu and a glass of wine, lovely food and very good value, we wanted to chat so sent the waitress away several times which was a shame for her but accepted with grace. Being full and with tables quite close together it did get very noisy at times but I think we had a particularly loud group of men on the next table. There is no parking so you have to park on the road round the green so it can be a bit of a hike to your car.

Moe_Barley, Manager at The Barley Mow, responded to this reviewResponded 12 April 2018

Good evening,

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave us a review.

I am glad you enjoyed your lunch with us. Our set menu is really important to us here at the Barley Mow, offering delicious, fresh and high quality food at affordable prices. It changes every month, so do be sure to come by and taste our latest dishes.

Whilst not always ideal, we feel on-road parking is a small price to pay for our idyllic position on the green. Nonetheless, we apologise for any inconvenience caused.

I look forward to welcoming you again soon. Perhaps with the lovely weather forecast next week we will see you in the garden for a glass or two of wine?

Warmest regards,

Reviewed 2 February 2018

Visited with a group of work colleagues for a leaving do and all us of had pre-ordered food. Thought this was make things easier but unfortunately the order was still delivered with errors, resulting in us getting food destined for another table (which then went over to that table after a few minutes of sitting on ours!)

Service was undertaken by very inexperienced staff, reaching across the table, knocking things over and generally not thinking about what was being done. Also our main server was very surly, no conversation and didn't notice him smile once.

The standard of the actual food was nice, but it was definitely let down by the service.

Moe_Barley, Manager at The Barley Mow, responded to this reviewResponded 13 April 2018

Good afternoon Tim,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. All feedback is vital as we learn to grow as a business.

We have very high standards here at the Barley Mow, it appears these standards slipped on the evening of your meal. I will have words with my team to ensure this does not happen again. Great service is at the heart of what we do here, so I am very disappointed to read of your experience. Please be assured that any issues will be rectified.

I hope you will return to us soon, so we may show you what makes us so proud of our pub.

Kindest regards,

Reviewed 31 January 2018 via mobile

This is my 2nd visit to the resturant
Sadly be my last. We must be very unlucky as I see so many good reports regardibg good and service. We sadly did not find this. It started very well shown to our booked table and all seemed well. We ordered our foid 2 sole and one beef stroganoff, at 1 o clock advised sold out of the beef. Our meaks came and my sole was a skeleton and skin I would not have offered my cat there was no flesh under skin had to return the meal. They did cooj my a fresh sole which was fine but my veg was cold by time it came. In fairness they did ask if I would like to continue eating whilst fish was cooked. Deserts were ok but waiting to be asked if we required coffee in end had to call some to order when it arrived the filter coffee was slipped over into the saucer no apolige no milk or sugar offered we had to go over and request again. Just felt there was no interest in us at all and that I should not complain about my food which I find poor customer service. I will not be going there agsin twice is too much.

3  Thank stevHerts

Good evening Steve.

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review.

I would like to personally apologise for the mistakes made during your meal with us. We have exceptionally high standards for both our food and our staff here at the Barley Mow, to hear that they were not met is very disappointing.

Please be assured that we have looked into the above, and have acted on them accordingly.

I do hope that you will give us another try, so we may show you what we are so proud of here at the BM.

Warmest regards,

Reviewed 26 January 2018

I visited the Barley Mow last night with a friend. We were the first to arrive in the restaurant and were greeted and shown to the table by friendly waiting staff. We ordered from the set menu, which at £11.95 for 2 courses was very reasonably priced. I chose the beef stroganoff, which was delicious! My friend had the sole, we she said was equally tasty. The portion sizes were just right. We went for the lemon posset for dessert, which was tangy and tasty and well presented. It wasn't long before the restaurant became quite busy. Will definitely be visiting again!

Moe_Barley, Manager at The Barley Mow, responded to this reviewResponded 5 February 2018

Thank you for taking the time to review us Lisafoodtaster!

We are glad you enjoyed your time with us. We have a new set menu each month, with a selection of different dishes!

Hope to see you again soon.

Abby.

Reviewed 26 January 2018

I met a friend here for an early supper, they have a very good set menu which is available before 6.30pm, at a great price of £11.95 for two courses.

The pub has a fresh contemporary decor, you can see the kitchen staff working efficiently in the kitchen.

I had the sole which was served with kale, new potatoes and a delicious sauce, my friend opted for the beef stroganoff which looked very good, we both had the Seville posset for pudding which was very good. They have a good selection for gluten free which I really appreciated.
The staff were pleasant although it took sometime to get our bill as the restaurant became busy.

The loos were spotless and with good quality soap and hand lotion which Is always a huge plus!

Thank you so much for your review Brockhalls!

It's lovely to know that you had such a good time with us. If you are a fan of our set menu, we have a new one every month which has a new selection of meals including a vegan option.

We hope to see you again soon!

Abby.