“Mild disappointment”

Cuisines: Contemporary
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 18 May 2016 via mobile

We came to this restaurant because of all the good reviews on trip advisor, but I have to say I left a bit disappointed. The food was very good, but not great. We had the 15 euros menu with a bottle of Ribeiro. They also charge 2 euros per person for a piece of bread, which was very nice, but I have never paid so much for a piece of bread in a restaurant! In summary, it was nice but lower your expectations.

There are newer reviews for Restaurante A Tafona

Reviewed 16 May 2016

What a nice discovery of this lovely restaurant. All was perfect, food, service, atmosphere. We had the chance to try so many bread types and olive oil. The waiter took the time to tell us about each meal we had ordered. My only mistake was not to have enough appetite to eat more... Good choice of local wines, let the waiter choice one for you. You won't regret it.

Reviewed 18 November 2015

We were amazed. Michelin-quality food for very affordable prices.
We came here on a Friday afternoon and paid only 15 euros each for an unforgettable three-course meal:
1. Garlic soup with rich, diverse flavours and a soft-boiled egg inside (!), and an exquisite, delicate mussel and fish salad as appetizers
2. Fish and scalloped potatoes, and beef and vegetable stew as entrees, both unbelievably delicious and unique. The fish was extremely fresh and delicious.
3. For dessert: some kind of peanut-buttery hard ice-cream with cooked plantains and a delicate sauce on top with crunchy sugar paper (!) that you have to break with your fork into the dessert - that's the only way I can describe it. It was both stunning to look at and incredibly delicious. The mix of flavors and textures was nothing we'd ever experienced before - just unforgettable.

This chef is a young woman from Galicia, and she's attempting to do serious food here. It's not just about pleasing customers, but about creating something new and innovative that is still loyal to Galician traditions. We found an article about her online, saying she's won the best chef award for 2015 for all of northern Spain - Galicia, Pais Vasco, and Catalunya. We understand why. Yet the place is not stuffy at all - the ambiance and staff are super humble.

Reviewed 12 October 2015

I first tried this restaurant 4 years ago on a 2-week stay in Santiago and thought it was the best restaurant in Santiago at the time. I returned to Santiago for a 2-week stay in August 2015 and my sense is that the chef (a young woman) has only improved. The food is a superb example of Spanish nueva cocina: rooted in regional traditions, superbly sourced and presented, and lightened up, intensified, and deepened with influences from other Spanish cuisines and international touches. The restaurant offers several tasting menus, all of them inventive and satisfying. The service is attentive, courteous, friendly, and informed. The courtyard setting (attached to a hotel) is charming. I was so pleased with my meals here, in both stays I had them organize the farewell dinner for the university program I direct. Don't miss this gem!

Reviewed 19 July 2015

We’d decided to try lunch here and were delighted to see the glass covered courtyard behind the simple entryway.

We were able to admire the original stone walls and iron stairway sitting bathed in glorious sunlight from above but still protected by a glass skylight roof from the frequent Galician showers. Our superb luncheon menu started with a cherry tomatoes, basil, and anchovy combination as the first appetizer and a Tiger mussel stew. We continued with smoked mackeral with green beans and a delicious rice dish served with baked pork and a plum on the side. Our light scrumptious desserts were sorbet served with fresh fruit.

And such a wonderful luncheon was priced at 15 euros per person – truly incredible value for the price!

And since the menu was in Galician, we also learned a little bit of the local language although of course all the very friendly personnel spoke perfect Spanish.

1  Thank GermanJody