“TERRIBLE!!! KEEP AWAY!!!!!”

Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed 2 weeks ago

I've spent almost a week in Madrid, so far. I still have two more days to go. Till now I've had wonderful Spanish food. Today I was visiting the multicultural part of the city, Lavapies and my intention was to eat at El Boquerón. Too bad today it's Easter Sunday and the place was closed... so I decided to eat in one of the many Indian restaurants that you can find here: they all mostly offer the same deals and - BAD SIGN - the waiters try to get into their restaurants. I should have known better... But, I was was hungry... so I went to Shapla. I had the vegetarian menu with Indian beer (8,50 euro). It's cheap, I know... and it's not a good deal at all!!!!! I had samosa (tasteless), the two sauces that come with it are simply impossible: the dark red one is also tasteless (should it be the spicy one???), the other one is bright green, looks and smells like liquid toothpaste! The waiter caught my puzzled look and explained to me it's a mint sauce, at this point I asked about the crazy color but didn't get an answer obviously... The nan was ok, and so was the dal. The beer was deep frozen and couldn't pour it. To counterbalance it was the mango lassi warm (but I got a chunk of ice with it). The colour and texture of the mango lassi were EXTREMELY ARTIFICIAL. I was very upset, I paid and I left to get to the hotel, wash my mouth and write this note. I hope that was it and that I'm not going to suffer any further from this VERY VERY VERY BAD experience.

Reviewed 8 February 2018

Their food has tremendous amount of food colouring, and only chilli powder (as to show that it's indian food, without caring of the fact that indian food has more spices and herbs other than chilli).
their chutney its nothing but curd with neon coloured food colouring, naan is a thick bread no where near the real naan.
I advise all the non indians to avoid this place as it is nothing like real indian food and i dont want a wrong impression of it.
And to all my indian fellows , ignore this place, its not worth anything.

Reviewed 9 January 2018

The place doesn't look inviting and the service/kitchen is not very attentive. However, you can get very flavorful food at great prices. The spicy chicken tika biryani is a party in your mouth, ask for extra lemon!

Reviewed 15 November 2017 via mobile

Shapla is a great place to get Indian food. Not only you have a variety of dishes you can also pick a combination of an entree, a main dish and a desert (plus a drink) for only 11 euros.

Their portions are very generous and many of their dishes are very tasty.

This is a great place to go and try something new if you're feeling very hungry.

I frequently come back.

Reviewed 29 July 2017 via mobile

Back in the menu we found complete dinners with starter, main dish, dessert and wine/bear/soda for 7-9 Euro.
We ordered 4 menus and got it fast. We got an abundance of food, but that's all there was to it. No fresh herbs was used, no hot spices, odd tasting nan etc - exactly what you can expect for that kind of money.
But the staff was kind and we chatted about their journeys in our homeland.