“Fantastic Hiking Area”
Review of Gran Sasso

Gran Sasso
Ranked #33 of 2,351 things to do in Abruzzo
Reviewed 23 September 2014

Visited with friends and did a couple of hikes over 2 days.
Amazing plateaus and mountains. Well trodden trails mostly but a good map essential. We were out of season ( End Sept) so mountain cafes were closed. Beautiful scenery, well worth a visit.

1  Thank Doccrow

Reviewed 20 September 2014

We visited the ski resort on Gran Sasso with family on our visit in April. We took the ski lift to the top, and even though it was spring, people were still skiing, and the snow was abundant. Of course, being tourists, we went in sneakers and trudged through the snow to climb to the very top to ring the bell near the Madonna and leave our personal items there. It was truly fun, and if I were a ski enthusiast, it would have been even better. The part that was the most amazing for us was the beautiful view from the top. Pictures can not do it justice, and this mountain is so majestic,and so breathtaking. This is a must see for all travelers in the area.

Reviewed 5 August 2014

Really enjoyed both the journey to/from Gran Sasso and the experience of walking there. The wild flowers were so beautiful, all in flower at the same time, I feel privileged to have had the good fortune to visit at this time. When thinking to go there I did not envisage the scale or magnificence of the mountains in this region. This mountain re-wrote my whole impression of the area... and no mosquitoes up there either!

Reviewed 21 July 2014 via mobile

This mountain area (or plateau) has something for everyone. Either if you like mountaineering, hiking or just barbecuing this place definitely has something for everyone. Easy accessible by car

Reviewed 16 November 2012

Our family wanted to take us to the "montagna" and we couldn't wait! This is way out of what we see in Philadelphia. There were 8 adults and 2 kids and we drove 2 cars up, up and way up to the top of Gran Sasso. Wow, what beautiful views while driving up. The roads are quite narrow and I am afraid of heights but we drove slow so I was ok.

We get to the top and park our car. When you step out of the car, and breathe in that air, it is amazing. So clean and fresh, your lungs can feel it. I was told it was a bit chilly up at the top but we brought jackets and didn't need them. It was August so it was refreshing to not drip in sweat.

There is a lift that takes you to the tippy top so 6 adults and the 2 kids went. They all fit in one lift. At the top there are absolutely breath taking views and great photo opportunities. You can bring an item or photo of a loved one and leave it there, there are many items in memory of loved ones who have lost their life. Then you ring the bell there.

You can stay at the top as long as you would like, you walk around, take photos, explore. It's VERY VERY high up! :)

When we came back down, we got back in our cars and drove to a picnic site. It was awesome. We had blankets, packed food and a ball for the children. We played American baseball with our Italian cousins and ate delicious food with a great atmosphere. Many other families were around, it was so fun.

This was probably my favorite day in Italy. I would have never thought that I would be on the top of a mountain in Italy with my cousins, eating Italian sandwiches enjoying life! It was AMAZING!!!!!! You must must must go see this if you are in the area. You won't be disappointed.

10  Thank islandgetawaygirl