“Overlooked historic center”
Review of Centro Storico

Centro Storico
Reviewed 18 November 2014

The old historic center of Cosenza is worth spending some time exploring. It's not fancy but a real town where people live and work.

2  Thank TerVicenza

Reviewed 14 September 2014

I highly recommend a visit to Cosenza if you are thinking of going to southern Italy. The town is gorgeous, medieval-looking buildings piled on top of each other and tiny alleys twisting steeply and mysteriously up the hillsides. We enjoyed one of our best meals in Calabria here (at Calabria Bella, right by the duomo in the center) and wished we had planned to stay longer.

I gave it only four out of five stars here because we visited in August--silly us--when everything was closed. We were surprised at how dead the city felt until 8pm, when things finally started coming to life. But I hear it is very lively year-round otherwise!

3  Thank Juliet G
Reviewed 2 June 2014

George Gissing visited Cosenza just over a hundred years ago, and wrote about it (in two chapters, I think) in his book "By the Ionian Sea". Before you go try to read what he had to say, not just for the things he mentions that still remain - the confluence of the two rivers under which Alaric was entombed with all his treasure; his hotel, the "Due Leonetti", which used to stand at the bottom of the street leading up to the square in the old town (I thought I could just make out the remains of the sign painted on the wall); and the anti-theocratic plaque he admired so much, still there outside the theatre), but also for his obvious love for the place and the people. The book should be available on the net, and may have been translated into other languages.

Reviewed 1 March 2014

We took a nice walk up to the cathedral and the old town in Cosenza. It is very interesting and not at all touristy. However, they have a severe garbage problem so I can imaging that it does not smell very nice when it is warmer. We had a nice walk and a coffee at the historic café behind the church. It is interesting to see the people living there and the shops along the road. Shoemakers and musical instrument shops. Refreshing after the "fancy" shops on the pedestrian shopping street.

3  Thank KTLund