“Very Good Clean Hotel”
Review of Il Passetto

Il Passetto
Ranked #800 of 3,709 Rome B&B and Inns
Reviewed 6 September 2011

This is a nice hotel near Vatican City (literally you can walk from there).

About 10 minute walk from Ottaviano Metro stop (On Red Line, it is also called Line A). Once you get into train at Ottaviano, it is about 10minutes to Termini.

We were family of four (that includes 2 teenage kids) and we took RomeCab taxi from Airport (FCO) for 55 Euro. It is around 40Euro for two people. I recommend RomeCab as they have very good rating and my experience was very good. The taxi driver was waiting for me in the airport with my last name. So, they are very dependable.

The young lady (I forgot her name) at the hotel is very helpful and friendly person. And you can request her to pack the breakfast in case if you are leaving the hotel very early (before 7.30am or so. Normally, she brings the breakfast to your room just before 8am). We had to do that one day as we were leaving to Naples to visit Pompeii.

Just remember there is city tax per person per day which every hotel collects on top of room tariff. This BTW, is true for Rome, Florence, and Venice. I do not remember paying this city tax in Siena or Verona. So do not get upset if they ask you to pay this taxi. Infortunately, it is not clear. Also this tariff is based on the stars that a particular hotel is rated at. So more the stars more the tax per day per person. I guess luxury comes at a cost!

This hotel is right in Piazza Risorgimento - it is a busy place even after 10 or 11pm. At first, it is not clear to locate it. It is on 3rd or 4th floor. When you enter the building which houses this hotel has a old smell to it but once you are in the hotel itself you are fine -- it is all clean and everything works including AC (In Italy I believe you cannot always count on this though I was fortunate not to face this problem all the 9 days I stayed in various cities in Italy).

On a separate note, in August month, most of the folks (around 2-thirds I believe) from Rome goes to vacation. As a result, the trains service ends at 9pm except on Saturday. So, after 9pm you have to depend on Bus or Taxi to move around. I found bus service very dependable too.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
There are newer reviews for Il Passetto

Reviewed 22 August 2011

We spent 5 beautiful days in Il Passetto in Rome. The girl in reception was very friendly and helpful, the room was very nice and always very clean. We loved the breakfast served in our room every morning with hot capuccino and tasty cornetto:-) Breakfast tipical for roman people...Il Passetto is in the center just few steps from Vatican, it was easy to go everywhere in the city. Really great holidays!!!

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 1 August 2011

The booking worked great and you won´t get a better location for your stay- 100 metres from the wall of the Vatican! Getting here is easy: Leonardo express train for €14 per person leaves every 30 minutes from the airport of Fiuminici and will take you to Termini in about 30 minutes, then take the local express bus 40 from the front of Termini to end station Piazza St Pietro which takes 10 minutes and leaves within minutes, bus ticket for €1 per person in the magazine stand outside of Termini. Walk along the Vatican wall for abt 5 min to Piazza Risorgimento. On the 2nd floor you´ll find the 5 rooms of Il Passetto, which is very friendly, clean, safe and quiet. We stayed 4 adults in the family suite, which was of course a bit crowded but OK. It has a really nice, big bathroom, 4 wardrobes and a small kitchen with water, a stove and a fridge. The beds were OK. Working aircondition. Breakfast means a croissant, coffee/tea or milk w/wo chocolate + juice. An extra city tax of €2 per person and day is charged cash, which was not advised to us before arrival. You can walk all over Rome from Piazza Risorgimento: abt. 2 min to the Vatican museums or St Pietro basilika, 10 min. to Piazza Navona, 15 min. to Via Corso, 30 min. to Colloseum. We truly do recommend this hotel!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank RomeforLife
Reviewed 6 June 2011

We spent 3 nights at this B&B and were very happy with it. The room was a bit on the small side (no sitting area), but had all that we needed for our stay. 2 beds, a desk, and a bar sized fridge. We were only in the room to sleep, so it was suited our requirements. It is close to walk to the Vatican, and close for walking/bus tours. It is in a very nice area, with many restaurants, trattoria's etc. If people are wanting more of a breakfast, there are many options around here. Maggie was exceptional. The room was very clean, and breakfast was good. Some have complained about the breakfast not being substantial, but we stayed in a few other B&B's along the way, and the breakfast ofered was the norm in all of them. Internet was available, not free, but reasonable. The price was great. We were in a room facing away from the street, so street noise was not an issue, but I did hear others in their rooms. Not any different than other B&B's...

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 25 May 2011

My father (80) and I had a wonderful week in Rome; Il Passetto was in a perfect location, the room was excellent, very clean. Breakfast most enjoyable, and having it brought to your room an added bonus! Air-Con was great to have too. Staff were very helpful, courteous and pleasant at all times. The internet connection was useful as I had taken my computer to skype home. I am going to go back, with my wife next time, she has not been there yet, and it is a must, and Il Passetto will be our choice of accommodation, it really is so close to the Vatican City and all amenities. Highly recommended. A most enjoyable stay, thank you.

Room Tip: There is an apartment available too
  • Stayed: April 2011