“Cool safe place to stay”
Review of Il Passetto

Il Passetto
Ranked #860 of 3,711 Rome B&B and Inns
Reviewed 3 November 2011

Simple but nicely appointed rooms so close to Vatican you can hear the Pope sneeze. Close to Metro, tram and bus tours too.
It is in a residential style block with an old fashioned lift. Feels very secure, unlike my last stay in Rome which was inpersonal. Kinda made me feel like it was home. Had a fab stay. Thanks I shall return.

• Stayed: November 2011
1  Thank mattznfi
There are newer reviews for Il Passetto

Reviewed 18 October 2011

The room was clean and was perfect for our needs, even had a small kitchen. Maggie was fantastic! Super friendly, always helpful, will recommend to everyone. Close to the Vatican, city transportation, and really 10-20 minute walk from everywhere!

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 17 September 2011

The location was very convenient to view Vatican and the Sistine Chapel, although it is too far from everything else. I think next time I would get a hotel closer to the Roman section and take the subway or a taxi to the Vatican. The apartment was clean, however, once you get the keys, you are on your own. Also, we asked for two single beds, but we got only one bed. Good luck getting hold of these people, there is no phone or email listed on their website, so here it is: [--] [--]. The person in charge disappears and could not be reached. We wanted to have our internet connected, so we tried to call the land line, which is when we discovered that we cannot call out, whatever number we called, the minute we even started dialing, we got a busy tone. Thinking that this may be the dial tone, we continued dialing, but the line remained busy. We had other people try to dial the number with an Italian cell phone, but it just rang in the little closet-office at the B&B. We then tried the cell phone listed on the business card for the B&B, but that number was not working at all. If we lost our one set of keys, we would have been out of luck and would have to sleep on the street. Needles to say, we didn’t get our internet, which would cost $5/day. There are internet access places in the area, but all websites are in Italian and the attendants have no idea how to change the language of the internet browser, not to mention that I couldn’t wait to wash my hands, because the keyboard were ridiculously dirty. Also, there was no way to clear the cache, so you may risk that someone will access your email. You can’t upload any files or pictures there either. It was, therefore, extremely inconvenient not to have internet access at the B&B.
Overall, the place wasn’t worth the 100 €, all the room instructions were in Italian, there was no hair dryer, no alarm clock, no Kleenex. The check-out was at 10am, we wanted to go buy some souvenirs at 8:30 am, before we check out. In response to that, the attendant asked us to pack before we leave for shopping, so that she could get the room cleaned up early, which didn’t go over well with us, we definitely didn’t want to vacate the room way before our check-out. Overall, I found the service poor, it was all about collecting money, with as little service as possible. I should have known, there was no contact for the hotel when we booked it. When they contacted us to confirm the reservation, I asked them about directions, to which they didn’t respond. The Orbitz site lists that there is a shuttle, but there isn’t, they said to take a Taxi. We ended up looking for this place, dragging our luggage through Rome, even the people who worked a block away didn’t have any idea where this place is. If you book this B&B, print a very detailed map! The best/cheapest way from the airport is to take the 8 € bus shuttle, but make sure you print detailed directions from their drop off place, since the customer service at the airport was totally unhelpful, as was the bus driver, when we wanted to know where the drop-off point was. We had no idea where we were when we got off the bus. The good think is that to get to the train station, it is only 15 € taxi ride.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank Gabriela N
Reviewed 6 September 2011

This is a nice hotel near Vatican City (literally you can walk from there).

About 10 minute walk from Ottaviano Metro stop (On Red Line, it is also called Line A). Once you get into train at Ottaviano, it is about 10minutes to Termini.

We were family of four (that includes 2 teenage kids) and we took RomeCab taxi from Airport (FCO) for 55 Euro. It is around 40Euro for two people. I recommend RomeCab as they have very good rating and my experience was very good. The taxi driver was waiting for me in the airport with my last name. So, they are very dependable.

The young lady (I forgot her name) at the hotel is very helpful and friendly person. And you can request her to pack the breakfast in case if you are leaving the hotel very early (before 7.30am or so. Normally, she brings the breakfast to your room just before 8am). We had to do that one day as we were leaving to Naples to visit Pompeii.

Just remember there is city tax per person per day which every hotel collects on top of room tariff. This BTW, is true for Rome, Florence, and Venice. I do not remember paying this city tax in Siena or Verona. So do not get upset if they ask you to pay this taxi. Infortunately, it is not clear. Also this tariff is based on the stars that a particular hotel is rated at. So more the stars more the tax per day per person. I guess luxury comes at a cost!

This hotel is right in Piazza Risorgimento - it is a busy place even after 10 or 11pm. At first, it is not clear to locate it. It is on 3rd or 4th floor. When you enter the building which houses this hotel has a old smell to it but once you are in the hotel itself you are fine -- it is all clean and everything works including AC (In Italy I believe you cannot always count on this though I was fortunate not to face this problem all the 9 days I stayed in various cities in Italy).

On a separate note, in August month, most of the folks (around 2-thirds I believe) from Rome goes to vacation. As a result, the trains service ends at 9pm except on Saturday. So, after 9pm you have to depend on Bus or Taxi to move around. I found bus service very dependable too.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 22 August 2011

We spent 5 beautiful days in Il Passetto in Rome. The girl in reception was very friendly and helpful, the room was very nice and always very clean. We loved the breakfast served in our room every morning with hot capuccino and tasty cornetto:-) Breakfast tipical for roman people...Il Passetto is in the center just few steps from Vatican, it was easy to go everywhere in the city. Really great holidays!!!

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family