“Rome's Best Budget Hotel”
Review of The Beehive

The Beehive
Ranked #6 of 1,170 Speciality Lodging in Rome
Reviewed 13 December 2011

Great hotel away from home! The high standards of the owners are very obvious. The setting of the hotel is very decorative, spacious, clean, and positive clear reminders are posted. Guest rooms & ample bathrooms are all on first floor which is a great convinience for senior travelers. Email communications during reservations were very quick and clear. Staff are friendly and very helpful in all areas of clients needs.
Location is very safe, convinient, and ideal for transportation to Termini station for train travel to the Civitavecchia Port, etc, two blocks to the bus shuttles to the airports, buses, metro, and many tourist amenities.
This is the best budget hotel I have ever stayed in. Congratulations!!! Beehive Hotel on a very well maintained hotel.

Room Tip: Reserve early.
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 12 December 2011

My husband and I stayed at the Beehive for 2 nights at the end of a 3 week trip in Italy in early November 2011. We are in our 50's, not your typical back-packing/hostel age. We really liked the Beehive. The location is great, a short walk from the Termini Station in a neighborhood that is nicer than some of the other sides of the station. We loved the clean, bright colors, and the modern facility. The staff was very friendly and helpful, everyone spoke English. My husband needed to sew a button on his pants, and he asked if they had needle and thread. A staff member called her husband to bring a sewing kit from home for him to use. Very nice and considerate. The downstairs room with couches, chairs and a nice dining area was great and very cozy. Free internet on their destop computer was really convenient. On check-in they loan you a booklet with lots of good advice about Rome, recommendations, tips, etc. We stayed in a double room. I was a little hesitant about the shared showers, but they were very clean and convenient. We stayed mid-week in the off season, so there wasn't any wait for a shower. It didn't seem like they were fully booked at this time. We also had a sink in the room, with a really cool colorful tiles around the mirror. This was just one of the artistic touches that added a lot to the pleasant experience. I particularly liked the great framed photos and the framed children's artwork on the walls. The little cafe downstairs was good with a friendly cook. It was nice to have a breakfast option in the building. All in all, we really enjoyed our stay at the Beehive, and would go back there without hesitation. Also, they offer a great service to find other places to stay if they are booked. It's called "Cross-Pollination". We stayed at a place that we found through this service at the beginning our our vacation (also in Rome) and the Beehive facilitated, communication, etc. That was very helpful. I felt like I knew the owners Linda and Steve from reading their website. I was sad to learn from their info booklet, that they did not live in Rome anymore, as I was looking forward to meeting them and their beautiful daughters. But they still lived in Italy, so you may have the pleasure to meet them if they are in Rome when you stay.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 December 2011

Can't recommend the Beehive highly enough. The staff are super lovely and out of their way helpful, and the place is clean, bright and has a great vibe.
Also very convenient location - would absolutely stay here again on my next visit to Rome.
I also used their sister website, Cross Pollinate to find well priced and friendly accommodation elsewhere in Italy and Europe, and had excellent experiences at all times.

• Stayed: October 2011
1  Thank Megeowyn
Reviewed 9 December 2011

I'm 46 years old and still backpacking after almost three decades (perpetual student and low New Zealand dollar are my excuses). About eleven years ago, I stayed at one of the "all the partying you can handle" hostels a few blocks away from this one in Rome and almost decided that my backpacking days were over. It was noisy, drunken and shabby. I'm not sure how I stumbled on this one, but I've been back twice now. It's beautifully quiet and clean, but not in a blandly institutional way. It's beautifully decorated. The little kitchen in the basement serves well-priced and imaginative food. If you're feeling in a quiet mood, there's nothing to stop you from sitting and reading a book (I got through a couple), but if you're in the mood for talking there are usually interesting people around to talk to. I speak a few languages, but my Italian is crap, so I have to admit it comes as a relief that the owners speak English. The location is great in my opinion. It's a couple of blocks from the station when you come in from the airport. It's a 30 minute walk from the forum, Colosseum etc, and just a couple of blocks walk from two magnificent parts of the Museo Nazionale Romano. It's also a short walk from Santa Maria Maggiore, one of my favourite basilicas. Lots of cheap eating in the vicinity, though, as I say, the basement kitchen is well-priced and is worth a few visits.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank Nick T
Reviewed 4 December 2011

The Beehive is close to the Termini station, in walking distance to many sights and a really nice place to stay in Roma. I stayed in the dorm for a weekend and I just liked this place. The staff is courteous, english-speaking, helpful. It's a really nice and relaxing atmosphere. The beds are comfortable and the bathrooms are clean. I really enjoyed my stay there.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled solo