All reviews train station the cafe downstairs two blocks close to termini private bath shared kitchen home away from home common room a great place to stay roma termini around the corner double room convenient location stayed nights gelato trip to rome public transport
Reviewed 30 September 2012

I stayed in the dorm for 3 nights in July. The room was spacious and lovely, with bright floor tile, wall decor, plus spotless sheets, and perfect for chatting with other travelers. I had a great chat with Steven and we became friends!

Yes, it's fan not a/c, but hey, Rome gets pretty cool at night! Def no need for a/c! It's kinda hot in the day but you won't sit around all day there right? The receptionists, Steve, Francesca and others, were extremely friendly! Chef "Ming" at the kitchen told me where to buy moka pot. There's a Bialetti counter at UPIM for all the supplies! The kitchen was a nice breakfast place for comfort food. But better do as the Romans do, be a regular at your favorite caffe, stand up, order "cappuccino e brioche", and do it quick.

Via Marghera was a pleasant neighborhood, north of Termini, quieter than the south. I also stayed at Bluehostel, it was on the south, in a Chinese community, it's not as lively and close as the north. The majorities in the dorm were American/Aussie and Korean, just for information.

I would definitely choose the Beehive next summer without a second thought. And try their massage I forgot to do last time. Methink Beehive is the place to stay for the rest of my life when traveling to Rome.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 30 September 2012

Best Value of any of my accomdations in Italy, friendly staff, clean room and bathroom, Felt very safe, Not a party spot. Best if you are looking to see the sights. Close to the Rail station and other transportation options

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 26 September 2012

This hostel/hotel is a delight. I stayed in one of the rooms with shared bathroom and kitchen - and it was so great meeting such friendly fellow travellers. The walk-in shower was a delightful surprise as my previous experience of Italian showers has been old, and not v user friendly!
The staff are friendly and helpful, and we even spent one afternoon in the small garden courtyard because it is so pleasant. V convenient central location and peaceful.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 22 September 2012

This hostel/hotel is an absolute gem,and we can't recommend it highly enough. We spent a week there in early September,and then a night on our way home. This was our very first visit to this amazing city,and the staff could not have been more helpful or friendly. Re:a previous comment about feeling unsafe,we felt completely safe. Termini Stazione is literally 5 minutes away,as are the buses. We walked most places within a half hour stroll. We stayed in the Classics rooms,and found them clean,comfortable and cosy. Bathrooms and toilets were spotlessly clean,as were all other areas.The garden is a peaceful oasis,and we always felt safe there,even at night. What really makes this place special though is its unique atmosphere,that really makes it feel like a home from home.Hopefully we will visit Rome again,and we will definitely stay at the Beehive.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Heathersmile24
Reviewed 20 September 2012

My husband and I stayed here for 6 nights at the start of September. We spent 4 nights in the "Sweets" and 2 nights in a classic room. The Sweets are lovely and a bit more private but to be honest, aside from the private bathroom, there wasn't much difference between them and the classic room. This is not an affront to the Sweets, rather a credit to the classic rooms. Both rooms were airy and bright and very comfortable, with a private bathroom in the Sweets and a basin and mirror in the classic room.

The shared bathrooms are very clean and comfortable. More like a bathroom in someone's home than a hostel type bathroom. Never had an issue with having to wait for a bathroom.

We did have the option of an air-conditioner in the Sweets but had to pay extra to use it. The fan in the Classic was more than adequate and would have been preferred in the Sweets.

The cafe is vegetarian, which we were aware of when we booked, but although it's a nice idea, i think they're missing out on a bigger market. We didn't really eat there at all, which was good in a way as it got us out and about straight away, where we found some beautiful cafes.

The location is ok. It's at the back entrance of Termini station - a much quieter area of Rome, and not in great walking distance of anything, It took some time to work out where "Rome" as such was but once we worked out how easy the metro is to use, it actually worked out well. We'd pay the 1.50 Euro for 100 minutes to use the metro, which gave us access to all the main sights - just about everything has it's own Metro station, including the Colosseum, Trevi Fountain, Vatican and Spanish Steps - and then we'd return to the Beehive which seemed like a sanctuary in a city that never stops.

The staff were helpful, although we were a little disappointed when they double booked my brother (we got married in Italy and my brother was part of the wedding party) and they cancelled his booking. They referred him to The Yellow when he asked for suggestions of similar quality accommodation, which turned out to be a very young "party" hostel where he barely got any sleep and he ended up cutting his Rome trip short by two days. Note to management: you might want to look at finding better recommendations, as that dragged our estimation of The Beehive down a bit.

All in all, a clean, very comfortable hostel/hotel and I would recommend it to people who were looking for something a bit quieter in a very fast-paced city - however next time we will probably look at staying somewhere a bit more in the heart of things.

7 out of 10.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
LindaatTheBeehive, Owner at The Beehive, responded to this reviewResponded 23 September 2012

Dear Nic_Goodman, I'm glad you liked your stay in The Sweets and in our Classic rooms. I'm very sorry though that because your brother stayed at another hostel which he did not enjoy, that that "dragged your estimation of The Beehive" giving us an Average rating. In regards to your brother's reservation mentioned in our review, there was no double-booking nor did we cancel his reservation. He submitted a request and we did not have all the nights available so he was never confirmed to stay here. We then gave him a list of hostels in our neighborhood since what he requested was a dorm bed. We have never stayed in other hostels in Rome nor do we claim to. As a courtesy we provide a list of places that offer dorm rooms, but it would have been your brother's responsibility to do some research and determine whether those places were suitable for him. I'm sorry you felt that we were "not in great walking distance of anything" because within a 10 minute walk are a few of Rome's many historical treasures. We are happy to point them out to guests when asked and they are also in the updated version of our guide. Best regards, Linda