All reviewsshared kitchenperfect locationkettlefloorcerealwifitoiletriesairportmetroapartmenteurotaxi
Reviewed 16 February 2017 via mobile

We stayed here in early Feb 2017 and had a great stay. We were met upon arrival (needs to be pre-planned) and had a fantastic 6 nights here. Ram was around each evening and sorted out taxis etc as requested. The breakfast stuff was basic but good and sufficient. Superb accommodation for the price and location is very good.

Stayed: February 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 29 October 2016 via mobile

If you are looking for a modern room in a good location and don't care much about breakfast & the service then this is a good place. It is a little bit more expensive than its neighboring hotels none the less.

When we checked in a nice lady receptionist informed us that there is no 'receptionist' at all times so the only way to contact for any extra information or help is through WhatsApp or phone call. We didn't mind that as long as we have everything we need. She also mentioned that breakfast would be provided in the room as we book the room with bf.

We left the bags and went out to explore town and came back to discovered that our breakfast was actually bunch of cookies, biscuits and in the fridge is some cheese and salami. I was just very upset because in Italy you can easily find fresh bread and bakery. It was not comparable for the price we paid.

I expressed my thoughts on Whatsapp to the manager because the 'breakfast' was in my opinion ridiculous especially when we are in a country where everything can be bought fresh. They got us a loaf of packaged white bread and quality cheese to make up for our complaints. I appreciate that they made the effort.

The room was modern and nice, however, we found a Tommy Hilfiger shopping bag with bills inside that didn't belong to us. We just left it outside at the trash for them and didn't bother asking about it afterall, the team can be a bit slow with replying and we do not want to make it a big deal. We did ask for new towels but never got them as no one read the message until our check out day.

I appreciate the room, location and the help they provided, however, in my personal experience travelling in Europe other b&b we stayed at provide a more friendly, prompt service and fresh breakfast.

Stayed: October 2016, travelled as a couple
2  Thank TheSabina
Reviewed 17 July 2016

This place to stay is satisfactory in a lot of ways. But it has one big negative against it. If you book a room there, realize that it's not a hotel but more of a guest house. That's fine---but guests expect that there should be a reception area with someone on duty to answer questions, offer assistance, etc. There isn't. Management and staff are there for only a few hours during the day, at a time when most guests are out. The guest house is on the 5th floor of a 19th-century block of flats, accessed from the street by a locked iron gate. When you enter the actual guest house, you step directly into a narrow kitchen space that seems no one uses. The rooms---6 or 7, as far as I could tell---are straight ahead down a hall with odd lights on the floor!
The manager I met (from Nepal) was friendly, as were the women who cleaned the rooms and served at the breakfast quarters (outside, about 5 minutes' walk away, on Via Silla). Their website has outdated photos---some show earlier days when there was actually a reception area. (Now---no more!)
I really wanted to see some staff when I returned from sightseeing at the end of the day. Them not being there made me feel uncomfortable and annoyed. My room was at the front, right on busy Via Cola di Rienzo. Some Tripadvisor reviewers mentioned that the traffic noise was disturbing. For me, it wasn't a problem because I was so tired at the end of the day that I was asleep 10 minutes after my head hit the pillow! No air-conditioning in my room, but in June I didn't mind because it cooled down somewhat at night.
A big plus was that the room was spacious and clean, and fresh linen was changed daily. The room decor was unusual. I was in a room with big silver polka dots and a picture of Charlie Chaplin on the walls (!?). Buffet breakfast was the same every day, served in a semi-dark basement that doubles as a bar at night! But there was enough food (plus great coffee!) to fuel me up for several hours.
The price is good; the location is good (in a classy shopping district close to St Peter's and the Vatican). I did have some major problems with keys, though. You get a set of four of them that you have to carry around. Annoying! If you want to ride in the oldest, slowest, creakiest and smallest elevator in Rome, stay here! It's quite an experience to go up and down in it!
I wouldn't stay at Cola Vatican if you want everything to be predictable. Stay here for an idiosyncratic Roman lodging experience.

Room Tip: try to get a room at the back, though even here there's some echoing noise from the courtyard below
  • Stayed: June 2016, travelled solo
Reviewed 6 March 2016

Clean room, comfortable, very good breakfast(served at a 3 minute away bar, because the kitchen is small), and at a 5 minute walk from the Vatican and Ottaviano metro station, what more could you ask? Very pleased with what we got for what we paid.

• Stayed: February 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 February 2016

We traveled as a group of eight, our main purpose was to watch England play Italy in the 6 Nations but luckily it coincided with a half term break so we were able to tag a couple of days onto the trip. Upfront i have to state that we had a fantastic time at Cola Vatican Rooms, the rooms are very clean, (fresh sheets and towels every day) and the location is perfect, in fact you can actually see the Vatican from the front rooms. There are bars, shops and restaurants at every turn and with the Metro being about 500 mtrs away it means that every part of Rome is accessible. The staff could not have been more helpful, via text/whatsapp and email they managed to arrange transfers to and from the airport and a fantastic VIP tour of the Vatican. Usually at this pointin a review you get the "but" moment, well in a break with tradition i am not going to use this, instead i am going to use "however" as there are a few important things you do need to be aware of before booking, if you can live with these then you will have a great break.

Stairs - As others have pointed out, the rooms are on the 4th and 5th floor of a very tall building, the lift can only take 2 people at once so we chose to walk, 131 steps in total.

Noise - This is not a traditional hotel or a B&B, it is like a set of dormitory rooms for adults. The bedrooms (5 on each floor) are joined by a communal kitchenette and hallway, this means that if anyone is using the kitchen you can hear every word or every scraped chair, especially when it is late at night. The front facing rooms do get road noise and the rear rooms suffer from the sound effects created by the courtyard.

Heat - The weather was fairly moderate in Rome (around 16 degrees C) the rooms and hallway had underfloor heating and being at the top of the building also benefit from rising heat, this meant we had to sleep with the windows open, this of course meant that the noise was even more of a nuisance.

Breakfast - This was the strangest part, our room price included breakfast, however we didn't realize that it would involve a quarter of a mile walk to a "nightclub" to be served buffet style breakfast , this was not as bad as it sounds, just quirky.

Enjoy