“What a respite from free usual Italian! ”

Africa - Ristorante Tipico Etiopico-Eritreo
Ranked #1,677 of 13,627 Restaurants in Rome
Price range: US$13 - US$38
Cuisines: Ethiopian
Good for: Child-friendly, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Esquilino
Reviewed 15 January 2017 via mobile

Loved this place. It is surely not very popular and a hidden place near termini station. We were staying at Smart hotel and was craving for other kind of cuisine. Don't be surprised if the place looks deserted but surely go their for the authentic Ethiopian cuisine. We went there twice during our stay in Rome for the culinary marvels.

Reviewed 9 January 2017

Ristorante Africa is a lovely little restaurant less than 10 minutes walk from Roma Termini station. I stumbled upon it while look for places to eat near our hotel and was not disappointed. The service is friendly and welcoming, and the portion sizes are great. Why not relax with an Ethiopian Premium Lager while waiting for your meal?
A note for those who may be intimidated by new cuisines: your meal may be served without cutlery - I was served a soft flatbread to use to scoop up my meal - it was a fun experience and nice to appreciate a different cultures approach to food. They can provide knife and fork if you need it, though. :)
I finished off the night with a cup of tea - it was one of the most aromatic and flavoursome teas i've ever had, definitely worth a try. If you're ever in Rome and looking for something beyond the standard Italian fare, give this place a try!

Reviewed 8 January 2017 via mobile

We came to Rome for my 50th birthday and we're staying nearby, we visited here on Friday 6th January

We came fairly early in the evening around 19.30 so we were the first in, the place is very clean and decorated in a nice way with African themes

The food was very nice and the service excellent so I would definitely recommend anyone to come here you won't be disappointed

Reviewed 24 November 2016

This was close to my hotel and I was intrigued. Though a little worried as no one has reviewed this restaurant in awhile.

I went fairly early on a Tuesday night and I was the only person here. Sadly the service was lacking - the waiter remained on his mobile the whole time and at times I had to remind him I was there! In fact after being seated, I was left - no drinks order taken and he just disappeared.

However, the food was fantastic. I wasn't too taken with the cold dip served with my slow roasted lamb but it was tasty.

This was the only meal I had 2 courses with wine and it was still the cheapest.

It is certainly worth a visit if looking for something different. I do assume that the service on busier nights/times is better!!

Reviewed 14 July 2016 via mobile

This restaurant is exceptional it's calm peaceful and delicious, the staff are wonderfully amazing the food is sublime and overall me and my fiancé had an absolutely wonderful meal. The food is not only in plenty but wholesome too. I've been out a lot during my week in Rome but this meal was my favourite and I would recommend to anyone, especially to vegetarians as you are well catered for!