“Easter Sunday dinner”

Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Trastevere
Description: Glass Hostaria restaurant in Rome’s Trastevere quarter is an eye-full for lovers of superhot modern design. Set in one of Rome’s oldest, most atmospheric neighbourhoods, Glass Hostaria’s fabulous high-concept dining space with its soaring ceilings, open staircase, part-glass floor, sleek seating and stunning gold-filled niches contrasted with raw brick pillars and original beamed ceiling has won accolades and international attention. The Italian menu under the direction of Cristina Bowerman is an inventive balance of then and now, with dishes like starter of foie gras with caramelized bananas (yes, that’s right) and brioche, first course of risotto with oysters, crème fraîche and crunchy artichokes, second course of pork filet with quinoa, smoked tomatoes and orange sauce, and dessert of chocolate cake with rosemary ice cream. The tasting menus are good value and the wine list has over six hundred labels on offer. Hire of this venue would make a superb site for stylish launches or sophisticated parties. The service is excellent and, after dinner, Glass Hostaria turns into a wine bar, so you can linger on and on.
Reviewed 2 April 2018

I have always enjoyed eating good food alone, with a good book. Tonight was delightful. My return to Glass was happy. Delicious food, as always excellent service and a relaxed, welcoming atmosphere. The risotto with brown butter and sole was heavenly, and the lamb was sweet and tender, with a dark bitter beer sauce: a great combination. The warm bread with whipped olive oil and black salt is not to be missed. I will be coming back for sure.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,233)

Reviewed 20 March 2018

GLASS RESTAURANT, Wow a really nice restaurant, really modern, in a very old part of the city. Michelin star candidate. Allow me to explain, we arrived for dinner and were greeted by an amazing host, we were seated and provided with great service, up until the end of the dinner. the food was spectacular, and I would have given 5 stars but then the disappointment started. we asked for the check and it honestly took 17 minutes for the check to arrive at the table, it then took 14 minutes before I stood up and hand delivered the money to the waiter at another table so I could pay the bill. Then another 11 minutes for the change to arrive at the table.

for such an amazing restaurant, in such a wonderful area of Rome, the service really needs improvement. maybe they don't understand that the meal is not over until the customer leaves the restaurant.

Shame on the manager of this establishment

1  Thank jose3372
Reviewed 19 March 2018

This is a restaurant in the Danish mode of trying to rethink the food 'expereince'. Applause for offering a vegetarian menu - that takes real courage in Italy. Many dishes of small portions in a very busy restaurant need relaxed and patient diners, so this is not a restaurant to rush through. Having had champagne I cannot asess the extensive wine list. Some dishes, such as the pasta with truffle caviar were A+ lovely while others - popcorn, undercooked eggs, & candied bits of fruit with celery were peculiar. (Fun or just funny but A for effort) Also, many different hurried servers - not sure why. Unfortunately we forgot it was St. Patrick's Day. By 21:30 the area outside had transformed into a raucous fraternity party. Impossible to get a taxi and rather unnerving to get through tipsy mobs filling Trastevere's alleys and squares.

Reviewed 18 March 2018

We had made a reservation in advance and to our surprise we could choose from several tables when we arrived at the restaurant. That was a nice gesture, however the restaurant never got completely full, even on a Saturday evening. That surprised us! We went for the set menu to 90€ and we got some appetizers as well as the courses listed in the menu. When we sat down we got the water right away as well as the menus for food and wine. We ordered the food, but it took about 10-15 minutes from we wanted to order a bottle of wine until the sommelier found her way to our table. We had to ask 2-3 times. We did not get any bread until half way through our meal. The service felt unprofessional and poor. Throughout the meal there were almost no service. They just put each dish down and did not ask how the food was. The food however was overall good. Some dishes were great, others were just okay and not Michelin worthy. I had high expectations to both the food and service and they did not deliver on my expectations, that is why I will not give this restaurant a top rating. The atmosphere was not that good either. The lighting were too bright and the furniture felt a little Ikea. When we wanted to get the check we had to ask two times before they brought it to our table. When we the second time pointed out that we were tried of waiting the got a little rude and insisted that this was the first time we had asked for it.

2  Thank N0rwegianGirl
Reviewed 4 March 2018

I came to Rome to celebrate my Birthday. I had no plans and on my arrival (my Birthday) spontaneously checked website rooming.it and found Glass Hostaria. I checked their website and I decided I will go there for my dinner. I didn't make any reservations, just walked in around 8pm.
I was greeted with very friendly an professional staff. There were few tables already having dinner. I asked for table for one and they accommodate me with no problem.
From moment I set down through the dinner I had a wonderful experience. The servers were very professional and attentive, the food was absolutely delicious.
The amuse bouche was delicious, the fresh loaf of bread with whipped oil butter outstanding. I started with a small portion of steak tartar, follow by gnocchi (month watering). In the time I finished my pasta course Cristina Bowerman came from the kitchen and checked on every single table. It was a lovely touch and it shows how the owner and chef cares about her guests.
When she stopped by at my table we had a lovely conversation. I live in NYC and I used to work for high end restaurant and celebrity chefs so I really focus on hospitality and food. This place really stand out.
After the pasta course Cristina surprised me with taste of parmesan ravioli (light, delicious, like a little cloud of heaven). I had venison for my entree - perfectly cooked- melted in my mouth, flavors were outstanding.
I was pretty full after my lovely meal so was not sure if I can eat dessert. I asked if they offer maybe sorbet or fruits, they had nothing on the menu but they were very happy to prepare fruits/sorbet dish for me. It was perfect!!! refreshing and light.
When I asked for check severs arrived with patty fours and candle with rose petals on the plate and wished me Happy Birthday.
Since it's rare to see solo eater in Italy restaurant I really felt welcome and they made my Birthday dinner very special. I also meet lovely people from the table next to mine.
Thank you Cristina and all Staff for this wonderful experience.
I will be back soon.