“Friday night time opening- A must see when in Rome!”
Review of Vatican Museums

Vatican Museums
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: With more than five miles of corridors, this vast complex of museums chronicles the history and accomplishments of mankind over the last 2000 years, featuring classic masterpieces such as Rodin's "Thinker" and the Sistine Chapel.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed 19 August 2018 via mobile

We had read about the long queues and looked at booking tickets before going. In the end we booked tickets for the Friday night time opening of the vatican. We booked for 8:30pm and there were no queues to get in. Although it was still a bit busy, I don't think it was anywhere near the crowds that amass during the day in high season! It was really nice being there at night, the museum and sistine chapel are truly amazing. Lots of people get a guided tour, but we downloaded a free Rick Steve audio tour on our phones beforehand for the museums and chapel and it was brilliant, so we really recommend that!! I was worried we may not have enough time to see everything going so late, but we actually had plenty of time and it was brilliant. So in august, go on a Friday night if you can for a bit more of a chilled time!

Write a ReviewReviews (33,836)
All reviews
in 154 reviews
"awe inspiring"
in 163 reviews

Reviewed 19 August 2018 via mobile

we went on a following day of 2 closed days. we went at 8.30 and waiter for 3.5 hours. but it is worth. official skip the line ticket is 17€+4€, you have to buy at least 2 days before otherwise it is in the black market. my recommendation is to see the gallery pinacoteca first and then visor the sistine chapel. at the end of chapel, go to right with the tours to skip the st.peter's basilica quee. if you take this exit you cannot go back to the museum but you dont wait in another line in the basilica. we adored the masterpieces, the mosaics etc. museum is short and sweet when compared to louvre or british museums but the masterpieces are the best in the world

1  Thank Banu S
Reviewed 19 August 2018 via mobile

It's like a visit to a history museum. The items on display span from 8000 B.C to our days. I suggest buying tickets in advance from oficial site, otherwise you won't be able to get in because of enourmous queues. The ticket for Vatican museums cover the visit to Sistine Chapel

Reviewed 19 August 2018

The Vatican Museum is a must see place when visiting Rome. Too much to go into. Just GO THERE!!
Note:- As is everything in the Vatican, people everywhere and busy, busy busy. So be ready for a lot of crowds.

See more reviews
Reviewed 19 August 2018 via mobile

I had always dreamed of visiting the Vatican and during summer I finally had my big chance. The museum was one of the most beautiful collections of art, beyond anything I could ever imagine. Going into the Sistine Chapel was the most amazing feeling, I still don’t have any words to properly describe how beautiful it is.

The lines are long so be patient. Enjoy all the art, I think you could spend a week and not see everything but it is worth at least a try.

I did buy “the fast pass” for a lack of a better term. It was only a couple of bucks more and worth it. It moved us all the way to the beginning of the line. Beautiful place. Check it out.