“splendid”

St. Peter's Square (Piazza San Pietro)
Book In Advance
Ranked #11 of 55 things to do in Vatican City
More attraction details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: This grand and magnificent square has retained its classical beauty and serves as the place from which the masses receive the Pope's weekly blessing.
Reviewed 2 April 2018

This vast and majestuous piazza is beautiful enough to make you forget you are waiting in line to enter the cathedral. Even if it is a long wait (around an hour i'd say), I was not able to get impatient because there was always something to look at.

Write a ReviewReviews (7,640)
All reviews
in 187 reviews
"wednesday"
in 134 reviews

Reviewed 1 April 2018 via mobile

Knowing that the piazza holds a highly significant place in the history of my faith, I found being at Saint Peter’s Square very humbling. The sculptures are beautiful. The architecture surrounding it is overwhelmingly awesome.I plan to go back for a chance to see the Pope at the Square.

Reviewed 1 April 2018 via mobile

St Peter’s Square is everything that I thought it would be but smaller than I had imagined. Part of this appears to be due to a splendid use of symmetric architecture and part I due to the staging for the Easter celebrations.

I don’t really know how to express how much you have to go see portions of the Vatican. It is truly beyond words. I am rating them and marking where we were able to go during our half day tour.

Go see it and go see more than we did, book at least retail full days.

Breathtaking, awe inspiring, historic, amazing. It was spiritual.

Only distraction: the crowds. You have to be prepared to deal with the crowds and frankly if you allow yourself to pay too much attention to the crowds, you will miss the sights. Don’t miss the sights!!!

Reviewed 31 March 2018 via mobile

So taken aback by the sheer size of this place! Absolutely amazing!! We were knackered after a 3 jour guided tour through Vatican City, Museums and St Peter’s Basilica so we didn’t hang around very long but very much worth a visit! Easter weekend was manic but the size of the Piazza hid the ridiculous number of visitors!