“Thanks Rick”

Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 16 May 2017

To be honest when I knew I was going to visit Bologna I just has to go to this place because Mr Stein had been there on a recent tv show. You have to seek it out as it is down a rather ordinary alley . Food wonderful. I had squid and then lamb but the guy next to us had the tasting menu which look wonderful too. Attentive service and not a word of English spoken! Hurrah - love love it.

1  Thank Minerva88
There are newer reviews for Scacco Matto

Reviewed 16 May 2017

We went here off the back of a Rick Stein recommendation on his TV show. I like Rick Stein a lot. We actually checked out his new London restaurant a week before visiting Bologna - and it was wonderful.

I have NO idea what the hype is about regarding this restaurant. We looked around at two other tables who were similarly unimpressed with their food and laughed at each other.

The owner / manager gentleman needs to spend more time tasting his food and less time rustling the paper invoices at the desk at the front calculating all of the bills. He would also be well served to not query whether my (Italian) wife knows how to eat an artichoke and why she (as a pregnant lady) is not drinking wine.

The food had no flavour. At all. The table next to us of American diners shuffled their plates among one another trying to get each other to finish the food they did not want to eat. I ordered a squid ink pasta with mandarin sauce. Yes, my fault. I didn't eat it. My wife did not eat her pasta either. We asked for the bill right after our main courses and left. Much the the bemusement of the manager / owner who was shocked that we wouldn't stay for dessert.

The restaurant itself if in a city full of wonderful food options. The raw materials locally aren't hard to source so surely restaurants can't go far wrong. This place is clearly very popular (lots of Brits and many Americans) but it was definitely the worst place we ate during our four days in Bologna. The fish restaurant next to the seafood stand at Mercato delle Erbe was the best followed by Trattoria del Biassnot.

If you like classical Italian food done really well with friendly service - do not visit here. If you like mandarin with your cold squid ink pasta and stale bread to go before it, give it a go.

Reviewed 16 May 2017

This restaurant is not in all the guide books. Just as well as it is a hidden gem.
This is Michelin quality cooking with local ingredients. The place was fully booked on a Friday night by locals.
The food is refined and imaginative.
The tortellini dish of fresh pea and asparagus summed up spring.
The meat dish of veal belly with carrot liquorice puree and chicory was light and flavourful.
We had an excellent bottle of vintage Sangiovese wine from Emilia.
This place sums up what good dining is all about.

1  Thank chriswood2015
Reviewed 15 May 2017

I can assure this is the best restaurant in Bologna if you are looking for something special and delightful. Read carefully the menu and you'll find something for you both fish or meat. Don't forget to ask for dessert.

1  Thank TizianaMontalbani
Reviewed 27 April 2017

This is a very unassuming restaurant not in the main restaurant area but well worth the visit. It would be easy to walk past and not really notice it but you'll be in for a treat if you go in. Not fancy decor but the waiters, who spoke little English, could not have been more helpful with our food and wine choice. Very good selection of dishes and cooked with a lot of love and attention. I recommend the grilled squid appetizer and the rolled goat main course.

1  Thank Ritabirdie