“Just not that good”

Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed 1 April 2018 via mobile

Pure mediocrity, cheap wine is the only save and grace, overall all the food kind of sucked. Any other restaurant not on the water in Varenna is much better. Also, 3 euro cover is rude and unnecessary

Reviewed 10 March 2018 via mobile

I have had a trip advisor account for many years, and have never felt compelled to leave a restaurant review before. For context, I am well travelled and have spent block periods of time travelling in asia, north central and south america, and europe. I have eaten some wonderful, mediocre and terrible food. This restaurant falls into the terrible bracket. The appearance and ambience is quaint and warm. Small and cosy, with an authentic appearance. The waiting staff served us quickly and seated us late - we arrived about 9.30pm. So far so good. My boyfriend ordered a caprese salad (€12), as he was no overly hungry and wanted just a snack. I ordered the lake fish fillet (€18), asked the waiter what it was served with, he replied only lemon, so I added a side of grilled vegetables (€6). The food was served within about 15 mins. The caprese salad was a small to moderate sized portion (ordered from starter menu so fair enough) but the taste and quality was good. The lake fish fillet portion was almost laughable it was so small. Please see the picture for reference. There was two tiny fillets on a large plate. In the picture one fillet remains and I have taken a small bite out of it. It actually looked comical on the serving plate. The grilled veg were likely pre prepared / grilled and reheated as they were initially served quite cold (not even barely warm) and could not have been grilled freshly at that time. There was one small slice of pepper, one slice of courgette, two slices of aubergine, and half a tomato. Five mouthfuls / bites of vegetable for €6. More than a euro a bite. I called the waiter over to inform him the veg were cold, i questioned the fish portion size and he replied it was just the size. The veg were reheated. The taste of the fish and veg was fine. Thats all, just fine. Not great, not terrible, tiny portion and definately not worth €24 combined. At the end of the meal the total bill (see picture) was €44.50 with a €6 table cover charge for bread and use of glasses apparently (as per our waiter), and a €2.50 charge for a small caraffe of water. When the bill arrived I stated to the waiter that i did not believe the food reflected the price and was surprised there was no amendment of this in the bill as I had expressed my disatisfaction of my meal earlier. He shrugged his shoulders and stated that was the price, it was actually quite an awkward encounter. After 1 or 2 minutes of conversation back and forth he seemed to reluctantly offer €6 off the bill, but I actually felt quite embarrassed and annoyed by his reluctance to accept negative customer feedback. His poor customer service attitude was obvious, he genuinely did not seem remotely bothered that we were unhappy with our meal. In annnoyance we paid the full bill and left. Probably should have availed of the reluctantly offered €6 deduction in retrospect. Oh, and he questioned where else we had eaten locally as if he did not believe we had eaten better food in Varenna! You can find better prices, better food and better portions within just a meters of this place so please avoid!

2  Thank maxi-the-dog
Reviewed 3 February 2018

Most places are shut at this time of year so we were trying a restaurant we have never frequented. We are in Varenna very often and know the other restaurants really well; we are spoilt for choice of good food in this small village. The prices were just a little higher than everywhere else in Varenna - so we expected more. The service in this tiny restaurant was excellent, especially considering the few staff. However my fish was unpleasant and when asked how the food was I mentioned it didn't taste nice. Nothing was done about this apart from being told it was fresh this morning and a suggestion of putting some olive oil on it. I did not eat the fish and made do with the vegetables which we ordered as sides. The grilled vegetables were only tepid; maybe that's intentional. I ordered a dessert - well, I was still hungry - a hard, tough tart. No return for us........but if the owner had thought to offer something by way of compensation I'd feel better about the experience.

Reviewed 20 October 2017 via mobile

Had dinner here last night. The food and service was great. The starter Cheese and Meat Plate could be an entire meal. Wonderful selection. A great way to celebrate our last night in Varenna.

Reviewed 18 October 2017 via mobile

We ate dinner at this restaurant on our last evening in Varenna. It is a small place one block up off the water. Very friendly waitstaff and overall atmosphere. Everyone eating here was having a good time. We started with bottle of red wine blend. I had some pasta for a first course and pork with gravy and potatoes as a second. Both were really well prepared. Another in our group had a steak she really liked, and one person had the “Secret Pasta” that he thought was great. I advise making a reservation as we saw people turned away on a Sunday evening.