“Nice canal hotel in great location”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel Canal Grande

Hotel Canal Grande
Ranked #11 of 386 Hotels in Venice
“Nice canal hotel in great location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 March 2012

Found this hotel at the last minute and it was lovely. Great location a short walk from train station ans car rentals and right in the canal. Room reasonable by Venice standards. Lovely breakfast overlooking canal and friendly helpful staff always eager to help.

• Stayed June 2011
5 Thank GguyinCA

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (437)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hungarian first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 February 2012

My wife and I just spent Carnivale in Venice, Italy. We booked a 6 night stay at the Hotel Canal Grande based upon the reviews in Tripadvisor. Everything was exactly as stated in the reviews. All of their employees from the front desk to the maid were excellent. The hotel is a short ride on the the vaporetta to St. Mark's Square. There are plenty of excellent locate restaurants nearby. Our room was small by American standards, but not by Venetian or European. And, it was exactly as you would picture a bedroom in Venice. The hotel itself is perfect. It was renovated several years ago and has been perfectly maintained. The breakfast is a wonders Italian (not American) breakfast. Those manning the frontdesk will do anything necessary to make your stay enjoyable and perfect. My wife and I have been to Europe numerous times and rate the Hotel Canal Gande as one of the best, if not THE best hotel at which we've stayed.

3 Thank houston1949
Essex, England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 February 2012

I booked the Hotel Canal Grande because of the reviews on tripadvisor and my wife and I were not disappointed at all.

I had contacted the hotekl in advance to arrange champagne and flowers for the room and they were extremely helpful indeed.

The Hotel is perhaps 7 or 8 minutes walk along the Grand Canal from the Piazzale Roma bus station where all the coaches arrive. It is also just across the Canal from the Venice railway station and the Ferrovia vaporetto stop.

We were able to walk through the streets to the Rialto Bridge area in 15-20 minutes at a leisurely pace, and then it was only a few more minutes to get to San Marco.

The hotel staff were lovely - especailly Gianni at the front desk who did everything to make our trip so good. We had a free upgrade to the Casanova room in the converted loft of the hotel with views of the Canal as it was our 15th wedding anniversary. The room was nicely decorated and clean.

Breakfast was a buffet style but with a great selection including meet, cheese, salami, cereals, fruit, yoghurts. breads, croissants, pastries, maccaroons, cakes, biscuits, toast etc. plus of course fruit juices, coffee, cappucino and properly thick Italian chocolate drink.

We would definitely recommend the Hotel Canal Grande. It is very obvious that staff and management care about their customers. To receive such great service and attention to detail at such a reasonable price was suprising and very welcome!

7 Thank mikepaterson
Bayeux, France
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 February 2012

Giovanna gave us a warm welcome upon our arrival, we felt straight away at home. The bedroom was magnificent, nice and quiet even though we were close to the canal. As for breakfast, nothing to say except that we appreciated it with a nice view on the Grand Canal. Giovanna as well as the other members of the hotel are attentive, discreet and professional. We were particularly moved by Giovanna whom on the behalf of the hotel offered a beautiful rose for my spouse birthday which she discovered upon our return from a night at the opera. What a pleasant suprise! Needless to say that we will definitively come back to Venice and more so to this beautiful yet discreet hotel. Rodolphe and Christelle from Bayeux, France

Room Tip: Even though sleeping on the Grand Canal must be quite a thrill I would recommend a room on the pedes...
4 Thank Rudy P
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 February 2012

we went for our anniversary, the view over the canal is beautiful.
The location if the hotel is convenient for getting to/from airport/train station
I was slightly disappointed by my room, probably more because I had my expectation set for a room with big windows and blue decor, rather than anything wrong with the room itself. I was persuaded to take the canal view room as it was 'more romantic' however I think if I get to choose again I would have gone with the suite without the view as it was cold and the windows were not that big so there wasn't much looking out to the view from the room so I didnt think the room was more romantic just because it had the canal view.
I was a little surprised that the hotel did not offer us any complimentary drinks or chocolate or fruit given that we're there for special occassion (most other hotels we've stayed at always did offer something).
The recommendation of restaurants by the hotel staff always hit the spot (you have to tell them what you're after clearly). The local pizza fantastic, the local restaurant great value, etc.
Breakfast - per the reviews by others is nothing to write home about. There ought to be a wider selection of pastry and fresh fruit instead of all the cakey/biscuity options...
It's not close to San Marco etc however we could get the vaporette there or walk there (enjoyed the walk too).
Overall I liked the hotel. It is not cheap but I think it's pretty standard for such a touristy city (Rome was more expensive). I suggest that the hotel could do with improving the breakfast and the little touch of celebrating the occassion of the visitors to improve the overall experience and making it feel more value for money.

Room Tip: if it's cold weather, I wouldnt bother asking for a canal view room unless you get the room with...