Archie's House
Hotel Flora(Venice)(Great Value!)
US$404
US$379
  • Breakfast included
Hotel Antico Doge(Venice)(Great Value!)
US$247
US$231
HotelQuickly
  • Breakfast included
See what travellers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 22 November 2014

I stayed in Archie's House for one night, just because I missed the last train to Milan and needed an emergency accomodation on a very tight budget.
I paid 21 euro for a place in a 4 bed dorm, with a private bathroom without heating (Venice in november is very cold and humid) and hot water. The only hot shower as in the communal bathroom (1 shower for the whole hostel). The bed linen was clean enough, but everything else was filthy and very poorly mantained. The dorm was so chilly had to sleep with my clothes on, including my coat and wool hat, and wrapped in two rather smelly blankets. My dorm was on the second floor and the street below is very noisy, because there are late night bars and cafes. As a woman travelling alone I didn't dare to sleep outside, but I would recommend saving their 21 euros to groups and tough individuals: a bench in a Venice square is not much worse and much more scenic.
Only positive sides: excellent location and friendly staff

• Stayed: November 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Valentina72
Reviewed 2 August 2014

Bar none the worst hostel I have ever stayed in. Everything was extremely dirty - I didn't even want to shower because the bathrooms were so unclean - and the mattresses were INFESTED WITH BED BUGS. I woke up with bites all over me every night, literally was eaten alive and am still scratching days later. There is no heating so nights are freezing cold and the outlets don't work unless the bedside lights are turned on so we had to sleep with the lights on all night (so our cameras/phones would be charged by morning). The location is really great, but even so it was NOT worth the horrid experience I had staying there. Unless you literally have nowhere else to go, AVOID THIS HOSTEL AT ALL COSTS. I think I'd sooner sleep in the airport than go back to Archie's House for another night.

• Stayed: May 2014
Reviewed 9 July 2014

I don't usually make a habit of writing negative reviews but I think the general public need to bed warned about this accommodation.
We stayed four days and the one bathroom that is shared between the WHOLE fully booked hostel wasn't cleaned once. I informed a member of staff that there had been blood in the bottom of the toilet for three days, they did nothing about it, they went back to bed. (It was 10am).
I never saw the staff do any form of cleaning the whole trip. The only time I saw the staff at all was if somebody was checking in. If you needed something you had to disturb them while they were in their own rooms.
There were clumps of dirty build up all over the bathroom floor.

The "kitchen" was a fridge and a toaster there were no spoons, knives or forks.

If you get bad asthma or allergies the place is covered in dust.
The rooms were full of Mosquitos regardless to whether you had your windows closed at night. (The rooms were like saunas).

Te positives were:
We didn't have bed bugs
Yes ari (Archie's son) was very nice and helpful if you could catch him (no one was ever sitting in the office if you needed them).
The location was perfect!!!

I would pay a little extra and stay somewhere lovely and give yourself somewhere decent to relax, as Venice is beautiful

Honestly, I believe this place is a health risk.

• Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank AussieTara82
Reviewed 14 September 2013

This is a totally run-down place in need of serious maintenance and proper renovation. The walls are shabby, stairs gloomy, bathrooms unclean. And, also they don't have a kitchen; all they've is a microwave and paper plates and plastic cutlery. However, Archie (the owner) and his folks are nice and friendly, but that alone doesn't offset the price they charge. The only reason I booked this place (even after reading negative reviews online) is because of their location. Remember, public transit in Venice is outrageously expensive.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 10 September 2013 via mobile

It's a bit rough round the edges but we absolutely loved staying here, the staff/Archie's family who run it are unbelievably friendly and accommodating, the house is decorated with a shabby charm. I would recommend this to anyone who wants to feel safe and welcome, and likes ping pong! Unfortunately there isn't many kitchen facilities and maybe that could be improved but other than that myself and my boyfriend enjoyed staying here very much!

• Stayed: July 2013