“rude owner dont want to sell us ice”
Review of Alaska Gelateria

Alaska Gelateria
Ranked #71 of 95 Dessert in Venice
Cuisines: Italian
Neighbourhood: Santa Croce
Description: See Lonely Planet Venice and the Veneto 2012 p. 106? I took the address off the card Carlo the owner gave me a few hours ago, and noticed that it differed from the one in the LP guide. His gelato is outstanding, and I know gelato! We tried 12 flavors today, and the pistachio, celery, ginger, and lemon were to die for. He uses only fresh fruit for flavor, thus no coconut. Vanilla and chocolate were also superb. Three euros for three flavors in a small cup. Will return again tomorrow for more as it is our last chance. No seating so you eat it standing outside or sitting on a nearby doorstep. About four blocks from the train station...across the Grand Canal.
Reviewed 2 April 2018 via mobile

we searched this gelateria because of youtube vlogs but....

The owner was extremely rude when we tried to pay with a 50 Euro note as it was all we had. He literally threw the ice back where he grabbed it and said NO CHANGE for that.. grumbling.

so obviousely he expects every person of 30million tourist a year to have the right coins in the pocket.... and we walked away with no ice...

Will definitely not recommend this place at all. There are many other top places around the area to choose from... which we found ...

AND guess what.. we paid with 50 euro note and received change ;-)

Reviewed 28 March 2018 via mobile

I ordered 3 scoops - pear, cinnamon, and tamarind. The man working handed me my gelato but he accidentally put the turmeric flavor instead of tamarind. I told him and he kept repeating “Yes, turmeric,” when I told him I wanted tamarind.

Finally, he understood. Instead of making me a new cone, he wiped off the turmeric flavor and put it back in the bin with the fresh gelato!!! He was going to reuse it and give it to someone else!! Then he scooped tamarind onto my cone that was still tainted by turmeric gelato.

After that ordeal, I was looking forward to enjoying gelato, but it was disgusting. It wasn’t smooth or creamy. It was fluffy like churned marshmallow fluff. The flavors were also very artificial. It was TERRIBLE gelato that was extremely watery and melty (which gelato shouldn’t be)

Don’t go here!

Reviewed 22 March 2018

We'd heard about this place before we went - sought it out on the first day and kept going back - accidentally on purpose, of course!
Very friendly guy who took the time to explain the flavours and the process - although it wasn't busy when we went because the weather was a bit miserable, so he had time to chat.
I would rate the coffee gelato as the best I've had anywhere in the world, and I've tried coffee gelato and ice cream in a LOT of places !!

Reviewed 18 November 2017 via mobile

Not only is the ice cream mind-blowing, but Carlos, the owner and artisan, is an artist, philosopher and generous man. Ask what’s fresh. The fennel and wasabi made me smile long and wide. Viva Alaska!

Reviewed 2 November 2017

We came here cause we were said its true gellato, handmade. Its looked like handmade and tasted too! We liked it a lot especially structure - flavour is concentrated in points ( orange skin) - its very unusual!