“Great location, but just below average room”
Review of Pensione Guerrato

Pensione Guerrato
Ranked #146 of 385 Hotels in Venice
Reviewed 7 November 2017

This is an excellent location, so close to everything you want to see, Rialto Bridge, Rialto Marcado, St Marks Square, its a historic building and I can see why Rick Steves endorses it.....but like some of the others, this is an average at best.

Yes, the hotel is up a lot of stairs, no elevator, and when you book, the owner gives plenty heads up on that, multiple times, so thats fine by me. But what I fault them for is the primary need of a hotel - a suitable bed and pillows. The room is spacious though sparse, (and honestly, you shouldn't be in your room that much in this city) BUT the bed and pillows, seriously, that is the thing that should matter to the hotel owner and its why I would have a very hard time recommending this place.

I Looked at the mattress carefully, it was basically a 4 "pull out sofa mattress on an antique bed with slats (no box spring) and the pillows were flat, hard, tired small (size of a laptop) lumps of awful. I asked for extras and received 3 more, and it still was garbage, eventually, I bundled up and slept on my laundry.

I get that running a hotel in a tourist city is hard, but the beds, a big component of the sleep process, could be improved with minimal expense, in the form of an adequate cheap mattress cover or pillow top, or anything to make it just slightly better. And pillows, really, they are $7 -12 each, treat your guest to a decent pillow.

I was not bothered with the street noise, the double windows helped with that. Thought I would venture a guess that if you are asleep in a nice bed, you are less likely to be woken up or bothered with the street noise.

Room Tip: Higher up might help with the street noise but you will have stairs.
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank TMenke

Reviewed 29 October 2017

Stayed in one of Hotel Pensione Guerrato's apartments for 3 nights in September. Two very large bedrooms & bathrooms. Very convenient to the markets & vaporetto stop. Bedrooms & bathrooms were clean. The kitchen lacked a lot of essential cooking utensils, not even a sharp knife to cut bread . I had to wash many of the utensils & pots because they were put away dirty from the previous renters. Italian coffee pot couldn't be used because it looked rusted. If your not cooking any meals then I guess this wouldn't matter but isn't that why you rent an apartment to be able to cook & enjoy the local foods from the market. If more attention were put into the kitchen then this would be a perfect apartment to rent.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled with family
Reviewed 22 October 2017 via mobile

In my opinion lots of the reviews for this place are highly overrated. On a 4+ week trip through Italy this was my least favorite hotel. Yes, it is a relatively inexpensive hotel for Venice. Yes, it is close to the Rialto Bridge and in the heart of Venice. There are, however, some negatives- No elevator- Reception is up a lot of stairs; Rooms are up more stairs and no assistance with hauling luggage. Curt hostess at desk upon check in. Very plain room with few amenities. No TV (although you aren’t going to Venice to watch TV). Poor to non-existent WiFi- the only place it worked well was in the chairs very close to the desk. The breakfast buffet was OK but very crowded. The air conditioning in our room worked. I don’t normally report what I heard other guests say but many seemed to be talking about noise from the street bothering them at night. It did not bother me but perhaps they were on a different side of the hotel.

Stayed: October 2017, travelled with friends
1  Thank Chip1701
Reviewed 17 October 2017 via mobile

I stayed here for 3 nights in August, and felt very lucky to have found such a great hotel. Literally metres away from the Rialto Bridge, it's the perfect base for wandering around the city.

I was in the loft room, which was a very decent size with lots of storage - although quite a few stairs to climb, which were a bit of a challenge after long days of walking. Bathroom was fine, plenty of towels and toiletries, and bed comfortable.

Nice continental breakfasts each morning - croissants, toast, cereal etc - and soya milk which impressed me! We came down a little late one morning but the very friendly waitress who had started clearing away was more than happy to bring back whatever we wanted.

All in all, this may not be the most luxurious hotel in Venice, but it's a lovely place to stay and amazing value given its location.

Stayed: August 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 17 October 2017

We spent 3 nights at this apartment which was booked through Pensione Guerrato. The owner met us at the hotel and walked us to the apartment. It's in a quiet residential area which we enjoyed very much. We were pleasantly surprised to find a washing machine in the apartment, and of course you can hang your clothes on a line to dry, just as the Italians do. :) There is a TV in the living room with a few channels in English and a full kitchen. For a good breakfast go to the bakery just across the street.

Just a couple of words of caution, this apartment is on the 3rd floor (which equates to the 4th floor if you are American) and there is no elevator. This is not a deal breaker for us and keep in mind that a person who can't climb stairs will have a hard time getting around any part of Venice. Another caveat is that google maps does not know the street so if you plan to use google maps to find your way home, you should instead set google maps for Campo Polo, then the apartment is short walk from there.

We enjoyed our stay more than any other place in our two week trip to Italy and there is no question we would stay there again.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple