Sole Castello
US$474
US$392
  • Beachfront
  • Pool
Grand Hotel San Pietro(Taormina)
US$299
US$220
US$208
Official Hotel Site
  • Breakfast included
All reviewspool area is perfecthotel restaurantthe busreasonable rateswould stay here againroom with sea viewtaormina centrespectacular viewsvery nice hotelyogurtcastelmolahilletnamt
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 13 February 2013

From the balcony of my room the best view up Taormina and the Etna volcano
ever seen. The hotel is located on the hill top of the town near the ancient castle and the curch of Madonna Rocca. There you find a small terrace with a wonderful view up the Teatro Greco and the sea.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank 888Thomas_M
Reviewed 7 November 2012

The staff is not only arrogant but aggressive and threatening. I would never stay here again for that reason alone. The overall condition of the hotel is that of a low-grade 2 star hotel in need of a serious renovation. Getting to and from the center of town is at best a nightmare (from the hotel you have to first walk down several hundred steps) to impossible (back up a steep hill using those same stairs). Every "extra," from breakfast to wifi access to taxi services (20 euros for a less than 10 minute ride to the center!) is a price gouge. Any other option in Taormina has to be better than this!

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank tom m
Reviewed 6 October 2012

No carpets, doors opening and closing all night and morning, the staff starts cleaning at 7a.m., cigarette burns in the bed spread, virtually no hot water, surly staff morning, noon and night. Go elsewhere.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank John M
Reviewed 4 September 2012

This hotel has an amazing view....However it is located in between Taormina city center and Castemola. I agree with everyone else the hotel management was HORRIBLE...very rude and made the stay unpleasnt. Also if you are going during the summer they only run the air condition from 2 pm to 4 am, and it doesn't work very well at all. Also be prepared as their credit card machine didn't work when we went to check out... the receponist insisted we go to the city center to the atm...however the people that checked out behind us were forced to leave their luggage as colleteral for when they returned with the money to pay their tab. Overall I would rate this hotel itself amazing....when you add the horrible staff I would give it a one star.....

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank maria1810
Reviewed 30 August 2012

I have just returned from my 6 days stay at this hotel and I cannot decide what the first thing I should mention is: the ecstasy brought by the breathtaking panorama or the instant and continuous repulsion caused by the services provided by this hotel.
The road to the hotel meant ascending on numerous hairpin turns on a narrow road and praying that the bus driver has a great day (I must mention that the drivers were excellent, to say the least). It was all worthwhile, as the view was astonishing, like an impressionist painting of a genius artist. The majestic volcano Etna and the crystal clear azure sea at its feet, brought together in the perfect scenery….
The attached photo was taken from the balcony of my room, a few moments after my arrival… Heaven before the fall, right? Right. However, returning in the room to unpack, I had a surprise of the worse kind: the floor was full of long black hairs completed by numerous specks of dust. The walls were scratched and dirty (how expensive is lime this days?). I found that the room was not at all isolated and I could hear every breath from the hall of from the neighbouring rooms (so I always woke up with the earliest riser in the hotel, because I could hear him perfectly). In adition there was a constant shouting of the cleaning ladies. This is an indulgent description of the conditions in a room from a hotel that charged EUR 3 for a bottle of water and EUR 5 for a small local beer…
Hotel in which English was an extraterrestrial language, as nobody seemed to understand it, let alone speak it. However, with my little knowledge of Italian, I have managed to understand the buses’ routes and schedules. Last bus to the hotel left the square at 23:45, thing that we usually remembered while eating an ice cream or having a beer on an adorable terrace, always long after midnight. We climbed the infamous stairs every night and it never took us more than 25 minutes from the town square. I actually enjoyed the climb. The scenery was wonderful, there was a light breeze and all that effort helped me sleep better, feel better and, why not, exercise a little even on vacation.
The hotel (which, by the way, forbid bringing any food or drink from outside the hotel) displayed a very high level of staff rudeness. One day, we were the only persons at the pool. We’ve ordered soda and coffee, and also brought a bottle of water from the room (ordered the night before from the hotel bar) in order to empty it before buying a new one. This angry waiter shouted at us long minutes as if we were guilty of a majour crime (and I mean the “cover your ears” type of loudness). We’ve tried to explain that it was bought from the hotel, but our English words were of no use there. So I found myself yelled at for minutes by a rude bartender, guilty of spending my money in their hotel.
The wireless password changed every day and last morning, though I had paid (paid I tell you) the wi-fi for the entire stay, I was refused internet access, on the grounds that I was leaving that day and I couldn’t be given a password that would be valid for another 24 hours (?!).
I would turn this review into a novel, should I depict all the rudeness I was subjected to. Overall, I was disappointed to find that TripAdvisor recommends this hotel. I never would.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends