Hotel Colomba
  • Restaurant
US$272
Orbitz.com
1,331 results
All reviewsgreat locationtrain stationvia cavourpastriessmall liftwithin walking distancequad roomhotel is locatedtriple roomsan lorenzomajor sitesreception deskvisit florence againair conditioningyour luggagemain attractionsbreakfast room
Reviewed 26 January 2012

What this hotel lacks in ambiance and decor it makes up for in service and cleanliness. The woman at the front desk was very hospitable upon check-in. She spoke English and provided us with a map of Florence and highlighted all the best sights in the area. We ended up using that map quite a bit, since it was a big help. Our room smelled like a hotel room, but other than that it was fine. We had a/c and a sizable bathroom that was always clean. Wi-fi was easy to setup on our netbook and it was free. Breakfasts were your typical hard-boiled eggs, pastries, cereals, coffee, and juice. The hotel was about a 7-10 minute walk from the train station and a 2 minute walk from the Duomo. The entrance had us a bit confused because you actually walk into a corridor and from there must walk up a few flights of stairs or take the elevator to the 2nd floor where the hotel actually is. Do not confuse the Hotel Colomba with the Hotel dei Macchiaioli (ranked #9), which shares the same address and location but that's where the likeness ends. I only wished that the Hotel Colomba had more Italian charm and felt less like a Holiday Inn. Considering how much artistry was born in Florence, I was hoping for a hotel that fit the bill. If I were ever to go back, I'd probably try and find something that has a bit more Florence flair. As for the location, I'd probably try and pick a spot south of the Duomo so that it's a bit more equidistant to all the good spots. Florence is easily walkable and this hotel wasn't so far north that we felt uncomfortable walking by ourselves at 11pm.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank HappyGoLuckyNJ
Simone M, Responsabile relazioni pubbliche at Hotel Colomba, responded to this reviewResponded 21 November 2012

Thank you for your review, we look forward to accomodate. Hotel Colomba Florence

Reviewed 9 January 2012

We are a group of 4 (2 couples) and stumbled across Hotel Colomba through a travel article in a local Australian newspaper in early 2011. Whilst the review was complementary, the added bonus for us was it's Australian connection being Rosanna.

Having visited Florence some 15 years ago and knowing the logistics, I was keen to find a hotel close to the Duomo (which is in the heart of Florence). Hotel Colombo certainly ticked that box.

The hotel's entrance is not easily recognisable at first - as other reviewers point out, If you've just arrived from the train station and on foot, you tend to be looking for a Hotel lobby from the main street. Instead what you find is a doorway and ground entrance with a sign pointing to a lift. That being said, once you make it to the second floor (where the hotel is situated) you are warmly greeted and any concerns you have instantly disappear. Of course, if you've jumped in a taxi you won't have this problem as the cabs all know Hotel Colomba.

Hotel Colombo is a family run business. They offer quiet, clean, affordable, friendly accomodation in a central location...and they deliver on all aspects without fault. There is a respectful curfew in place so a) so they can go to bed, and b) as added security to all guests. This is not a place for late night party animals ...which is perfect in my eyes.

Rosanna (owner) and Sabine are fabulous. As we were travelling in September (high season), they both guided and helped us plan our days and in some cases booked and secured reservations into museums to avoid us having to queue for hours.

We had initially booked for 3 nights - before embarking on a week in Tuscany. The plan was to return back to Florence and simply 'wing' our last night. Having enjoyed our stay with Rosanna and Sabine so much, we decided to return back to Hotel Colomba for our last night and avail ourselves again to their friendly hospitality for the last time.

I have no hesitations in recommending Hotel Colomba to respectful travellers....(party animals, stay away, this is not a place for you). Should I ever be lucky enough to return to Florence, I will be booking my stay with Hotel Colomba.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank Jabusi

Reviewed 5 January 2012

Stayed for two nights in January 2012 with my husband and teen daughter. Our second stay at Hotel Colomba (our first was back in summer 2007) was as good as the first time. Great location, spacious bedroom, super clean and quiet. Our hosts were great as always and I will keep recommending this place over and over again. If you are on a budget, don't miss this gem in the middle of the action in Florence.

Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank Frilo68

Reviewed 1 January 2012

...to what others have said. A great place to stay:
central location
friendly and hospitable family run business
spacious rooms (we had 3x single beds)
quiet (apart from a humming noise, which probably came from the other hotel above)
decent breakfast (the only thing we missed was 'real' juice, without sugar).

If we go back to Florence, we would surely stay here again! We spent 4 nights here as a family of 4 (2 young kids) and though I am quite a picky person in terms of hotels, this place is really great, unlike the equally highly rated hotel we stayed at in Pisa, which in reality was only average).

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
3  Thank doistujin
Reviewed 30 December 2011

We stayed 2 nights here from December 21-23. The rooms are very large for Europe and extremely clean. The hotel is on one floor of a large building. Like another reviewer said, you enter the building downstairs and wonder what you have got yourself into. But you take a very small elevator up (or walk) to the second floor and your worries cease. They have good security and keep the door locked into their hotel. It's a nice family-run place. If you want to party until all hours of the night this is not the place for you - I think they ask that you be in by 1:30 a.m. because they sit there to let people in because of their good security. The breakfast is excellent with boiled eggs, buns, croissonts, ham and meats, cheese, yogurt, fruit, juice, milk, cereal and they bring you excellent hot chocolate, coffee and cappuchinno. The owners and Sabrina bring you the beverages and replace any items that run out. Sabrina marked places for us to see on the map and this was very helpful. She works hard and is efficient but doesn't seem very happy. She mentioned not liking Trip Advisor because of the requests/tips I had via other helpful reviews (it was obvious my many requests had irritated her). I commented that because of Trip Advisor - you get a lot of business. Maybe we just caught her at a bad time. She did do her best to accommodate my requests and does her job well and we really enjoyed our stay here. The hotel is walking distance to all of the sights - we walked everywhere. We also took a train to Pisa to see the Tower and the beautiful church there (make sure to enter the church because it is beautiful). The train station is about a 15 minute walk away. We have a lot of luggage so we would not have all fit into one taxi so we walked to the hotel and pulled our wheeled luggage behind us. It worked well. The hotel's location can't be beat - especially for the price. Going during the off-season is great. We got into the museum to see the original "David" without reservations and no line. My kids also got tickets to go to the top of the Leaning Tower of Pisa with no reservation. In the summer - you need reservations for both, I believe. The weather was cool and dry - we wore 2 layers of light jackets so we could take one off if it warmed up. Florence is a beautiful city and I would recommend staying at this clean and convenient hotel.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family