All reviews rooftop patio bed and breakfast old building every morning air conditioning the ground floor an easy walk franco duomo luggage europe sites laundry
Reviewed 24 October 2011

We loved Franco and Sawako! From the moment we arrived, we felt completely welcomed and taken care of by these great owners. Franco suggested places to visit and assisted with maps and reservations (Accademia). The rooms were very clean and well cared for. By far the best part of this B&B is the rooftop terrace that has an amazing view of the Duomo. Make the decision to stay in one night, grab a bottle of wine, and watch the sun set over the Duomo... you won't be sorry. If you are worried about not having a lift to the 3rd floor, arrange for Franco to carry bags ahead of time. He carried ours without even asking!

Date of stay: October 2011
  • Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank Sarah T
Reviewed 22 September 2011

The only bad thing to have happened to us in lovely florence was staying at BB Novecento. Its a small guest house on 3rd floor with no lift. In case you have kids or heavy luggage don't even think of staying here. The only plus point is the location which is close to duomo. Breakfast was a real shame. Well, it was partly our mistake of not doing proper check of this hotel before booking.

Room tip: Avoid the place altogether
Date of stay: April 2011
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
5  Thank sachinmalik3
Reviewed 11 August 2011

I was only in Florence for 3 nights, so this B&B close to Duomo was perfect. The room was charming - I had a view overlooking the street and I didn't find it to be too noisy at all. The elevator comes in the form of an actual human being to help you up the multiple flights of stairs to the top floor so I would advise calling ahead and letting someone know you're downstairs and needing assistance if you don't think you can carry your luggage up yourself. The owners were absolutely adorable and very helpful with recommendations on where to eat and what to see.

• Trip type: Travelled solo
1  Thank A Y
Reviewed 26 June 2011

Brilliant location with roof terrace view of Florence Duomo. We stayed for 3 nights and it was great value for money. Very friendly owners.....we will be back!

Date of stay: June 2011
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank irish-swiss
Reviewed 23 June 2011

My husband and I and four of our family members booked four rooms at B&B Novocento in early June. Thank God we only stayed two nights! Apparently we missed the small print on their website that mentioned the fact that this B&B is located on the third floor of a 16th century building with no elevator. Shame on us. After 73 steps (literally) and signage all the way up the stairwell warning us not to scratch the walls, we were greeted by owner, Franco, and his wife who immediately thrust business cards of their "recommended" resturants in our faces. We hadn't even been to our rooms and we were next shown a variety of lotions, potions and soaps that were available for purchase.

Once we finally did get to the rooms (which were small but clean and nicely decorated) we were met with a litany of rules- nothing in the toilet but toilet paper (duh) or face a 400 euro fine, no using the mosquito net above the bed (decoration only), no irons allowed...the list went on. The rule that was most frustrating was breakfast. We were told breakfast was 8:30- 9:30 only- no exceptions. When we told Franco that our tickets to the Uffizi were for 8:30 and so we'd miss breakfast, he made no attempt to accomodate us in any way whatsoever. However, when we woke the following morning and were actually able to get to breakfast, we realized we'd missed nothing other than one croissant and coffee. The end. In addition to being pushy (he made three more attempts to sell his lotions to us) Franco was rude. When he gave us our keys and told us he'd show us how to lock the common door, he dismissed me, shooed me like a gnat and said, "No, I'll show him," meaning my husband. Apparently at B&B Novocento, women are helpless. We could not wait to leave but couldn't, of course, before Franco encouraged us to leave a sterling review of his bed and breakfast here and reminded us not to mention the stairs.

All in all, the location was good, safe and clean but the experience wasn't a pleasant one. My family and I traveled to three other Italian cities on this trip and loved each and every hotel we stayed at...except this one.

• Trip type: Travelled with family