B & B Novecento
US$277
US$256
Hotels.com
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsrooftop patioold buildingevery morningair conditioningthe ground flooran easy walkfrancoduomoluggagesinksiteseuropelaundry
Reviewed 5 October 2017

Beware! The advertisements on travel sites for Novecento B&B may be deceptive. Advertised in some places as being on the third floor, you must realize that in Europe, the ground floor is called 0 (zero). In actuality, the majority of the rooms are on what Americans would call the 4th floor, the 6th room is up another flight of stairs, and the rooftop patio is up more stairs, actually the 6th floor. There Is No Elevator. That is important because you will be climbing up and down 60 steps minimum to get to your room. Also advertised as an amenity on some sites is self-service laundry. There is no laundry in this B&B. You have to haul your laundry down 4 flights of stairs, down the street, and around the corner to the NON self-service lavanderia (laundromat).

The Pros:

In the middle of everything. Very close to the stunning Duomo, an easy walk to the Ufizzi museum - a must see (spring for the audio tour if you want any explanation of the exhibits; most are not labeled well), and the Academia where you'll see the original statue of David and a lovely collection of unusual musical instruments. Very close to major designer shopping as well as smaller local shops.

Beautiful views from the 6th floor outdoor balcony.

Sawako is lovely and very accommodating. She's the reason I'm giving 2 stars instead of one. That, and Franco used his electric winch to raise and lower our luggage so we wouldn't have to carry it up and down the stairs.

Wi-fi is good.

What I didn't like:

We didn't know beforehand that this was a walk-up situation. Two of the people in our group have serious physical limitations that made the long stair climb impractical and painful.

Not having laundry on site. That was totally misrepresented in the listings on several sites. We spent 6 days there, and were in Italy for 3 weeks, so having laundry facilities was important to us, and the false advertising of laundry availability was one reason we booked at Novacento.

No English tv channels.

Beds are like all the beds I found in Italy - hard!

Franco is boisterous. Some people would say that's a good thing, I guess. It felt invasive to me. Our first day there, all I wanted to do was check in and get to our room. He insisted on showing us business cards of all of his friends' restaurants and shops, then he started singing, then he followed us to our room and stood in the doorway until I was finally able to get him out.

One night, we had reservations at a small restaurant down the street. Franco took it upon himself to cancel those reservations, because "that place is no good" and make new ones at one of his friends' places. He even went so far as to walk us to the place (10-15 minute walk). Again, people might think this was friendly; I felt as though is was so we wouldn't 'escape'. It ended up being about 80 € each, about $100. The food was good, but not worth $100. We later went to the place we originally had reservations, had a great meal, for about 20 € ($25) each.

The continental breakfast was inadequate. There was salami and cheese, but we were given one small, thin slice of salami, and when we asked for more, we were only allowed one more thin slice. Someone asked for a second croissant, and they were told no. There were packaged buns and crackers on the table, and a ring cake was offered daily (one 1 1/2" slice), and apples and bananas were available. I'm told that when booking there are 2 options available - with and without breakfast. The difference in price is 10€. I recommend not getting the breakfast and using the 10€ to get something at the grocery store to eat.

I would never go back to Novecento and would never recommend it to anyone I like.

Room Tip: This hotel is not HC accessible at all. Rooms were noisy.
  • Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 September 2017 via mobile

The B&B is located literally 1 minute by foot from el Duomo but in a quite street next to restaurants, shops and main touristic sites (galleria uffici, old town, market square..)
The room was nice, clean and quite. Our room was the yellow one. The shower/bath is small but comfortable for a quick shower.
Breakast is served with care and personal attention : juice, some homemade pastries, coffee and some sausages.
The owner, Franco and his partner are very helpful and give good advise for local restaurants and stores.
I would come back again!!

Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 July 2017

I picked this B&B because of the closeness to central Florence and even tho I knew there were several flights of stairs, I wanted to access the roof top. It did not disappoint. I felt I could reach out and touch the Duomo and on arrival, I was greeted by the wonderful Franco and Sawako. Nothing was too much trouble for them both and they made me feel very much at home in their home. Thank you both so much for making my first trip to Florence so enjoyable. I will be back :-)

• Stayed: June 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed 6 June 2017

This rating is based on the facility being listed as a one star accommodation, so expectations are accordingly lowered. However, even a one star room that advertises air conditioning should have fully functioning air conditioning. There is no way to adjust the temp or the fan, it's basically on and off and you'd better like the setting because it's stuck. The shower is in the middle of a tiny bathroom, no enclosure, the drain is in the middle of the bathroom floor, there is a curtain you pull around you to keep from soaking the entire bathroom. I understand this was the way many rooms in these old building used to be, most have been modernized, this was the only one like this we experienced on our trip. Additionally, one morning I was running water in the sink and water/sewage started bubbling up from the shower drain in the middle of the floor...pretty nasty. I will say the location is excellent. This is definitely a one star facility, and a moderate one at that...it's cheap but not a value. We stayed in places that were not that much more but MUCH nicer.

• Stayed: May 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 May 2017

My mother-in-law decided late in the game to come on the trip with us so we weren't able to get her in where we had booked. This was nearby and reasonably priced so we booked it for her.

Pros-
*Very friendly couple that own this B&B, very accommodating.
*Price was reasonable compared to other options locally available when we were booking late in the game.

Cons-
*THIRD FLOOR WALK UP WITH NO ELEVATOR! It wasn't fun walking up a staircase carrying a suitcase.
*Her room was a small outdated looking room with a twin bed. It was only about 10 euros cheaper than our massive modern suite with a queen bed. If I wasn't comparing one to the other I really couldn't complain but when you see them side by side it really could have been cheaper.

I really hate to say anything negative about this place because the owners were just that nice. But I did want to give an honest review and warn you about the lack of elevator. Wouldn't have been so bad if it was a floor or two but by the time I carried her bag from 0 to 3 I was cursing the lack of warning about the stairs.

Room Tip: 3rd floor walkup, no elevator so beware if you aren't capable of climbing stairs with suitcases.
  • Stayed: April 2017, travelled solo