“Great steak!”

Ranked #57 of 617 Restaurants in Lucca
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 23 September 2015 via mobile

I have been in Italy for over a week and have been very disappointed with the beef, but not tonight. La Griglia di Varrone was excellent. I loved that you could watch the cooks cut and cook the meat. Also loved that you could buy wine by the glass and had multiple choices other than the house wine. The steaks were cooked very well and well seasoned. Tender and juicy.
The waitress was good but did appear tired. No big deal as the restaurant was very busy with lots of patrons/reservations so I would be tired to. Mashed potatoes were on the pasty side but the great steak was the highlight. Would say reasonable value for the meal, expensive but not crazy, and somewhere I would highly recommend.

Reviewed 29 July 2015

Excellent service food a setting, highly recommended. Best in Lucca albeit outside the walls. Difficult to get yourself on the right road to get to the entrance but we persisted through tolls! and well worth it.

Reviewed 4 July 2015

Ignore McDonalds- the best restaurant is next door! Wonderful steaks all cooked to perfection and puddings to complement. Really not to be missed if you are visiting Lucca

Reviewed 24 June 2015 via mobile

Very good steak house. I was surprised because it does not have a good place here on Tripadvisor, but It was one of the best filet cut I've had. My husband had the pichana and said it was delicious. I was at first a little turned off by the menu, because I am more of a lighter food type, but my husband wanted the pasta carbonara, and it was simply one of the best creamy pastas I have tasted. It had a lot of pancetta, that I picked out. It is very indulgent but Is was worth the calories. I asked for grilled vegetables because they are not on the menu and they made them for me. The service was ver good and the wine list ample. I do recommend it.

Reviewed 6 March 2015

went with my son to la griglia di varrone, which is next to the macdonald in Lucca (close to the
exit of autostrada firenze-beach) less than 2 km from the center
we had prime rib and must admit that it was really good. They have a very simple system which
is the food incl very small tasty dessert & good expresso.
the card is full of great beef, like Chiannina , which is the real toscany beef , after extinction of the chianina in Italy they restarted with usa-chianina steer/heifers, great big white animal.
Also Varrone has the picania, the prime brasil beef from the churrasco
Is close by Lucca in Toscany, this is a must