B&B La Coperta Ricamata
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
Hotel Minerva(Siena)(Great Value!)
US$176
US$128
Hotel Duomo(Siena)(Great Value!)
US$164
  • Breakfast included
Piccolo Hotel Etruria(Siena)(Great Value!)
US$89
US$87
Hotel Italia(Siena)(Great Value!)
US$100
US$91
  • Breakfast included
Sangallo Park Hotel(Siena)(Great Value!)
US$175
Hotel Executive(Siena)(Great Value!)
US$93
Hotwire.com
TripAdvisor
All reviewsminute walktrain stationrooms are hugeyogurtpiazza del campoold townbed was very comfortablebreakfast is servedwonderful staystayed nightsair conditioningeach morninglucianowallstuscanygardenhairdryer
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 3 June 2012

We greatly enjoyed our stay at La Coperta Ricamata in Siena. The bedroom was spacious and the two room bath was very nice, especially the heated towel racks, and the balcony was a great place to eat breakfast. The breakfast was excellent with fresh daily croissants and rolls and occasional cake as well as cereal, coffee, and juice. It was conveniently located between the main bus terminal and the Siena train station (we walked to the former and from the latter). It was about a ten minute walk to the center of Siena

Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 May 2012

I stayed at this place because of the trip advisor reviews however I do not share the excitement and wonder associated with these reviews. Arriving at the B&B one is immediately faced with the challenge of getting ones suitcase down the loose stone driveway that is about 50 meters long. Luggage wheels do not work on loose stones so you need to be able to carry your suitcase or bags down and up the driveway.

The entry foyer is lovely in particular the beautiful marble staircase. Also, Luciana (the owner) provides a very warm welcome and genuinely seems to be a nice, warm person. However, my room was nothing like others have described. My room (a room for one person with a double bed) was at the top of the stairs which leads to the other rooms and houses the area where breakfast is placed in the morning. But Luciana was immediately aware that I did not like the room and even though I tried to explain that I would be happy to pay more for a better room I do not think she understood what I was saying.

As other reviewers had spoken of rooms having small balconies so this is what I expected. Unfortunately my room was just a room with no balcony and overlooked the 3 story stone building next door that is being completely restored and the rubble all around the building (I think this restoration will continue for at least another year).

The room was dark due to the blinds needing to be shut perhaps because of the builders who work all day, six days a week. Overall, with no balcony and the blinds shut it felt very gloomy and claustrophobic and the room did not feel welcoming at all. I felt like I was in a convent. I tried to keep the blinds open but every time I returned to my room they were closed again which did nothing to enhance my stay. But the bed is comfortable and there is a large bathroom and the place is very clean.

In this room you are woken at 7.15 when Luciana places the breakfast crockery, cutlery and food out for the guests. Then at 7.30 the other guests start coming to collect their food to take back to their room. The builders arrive at 8am and start grinding, drilling, sawing, hammering and throwing bricks. So, do not plan on sleeping late if you stay in this room. Breakfast is minimal and consists of yoghurt, small bread rolls, croissants, jam, 2 types of cereal, juices, tea and coffee. There is nothing warm (except the milk for the cereal) and no facilities to make toast or to warm anything.

The other important thing to know prior to staying here is that there are no internet facilities. So, if you still have travel arrangements to make or emails to send do it before you come to Siena because there are only 2 places with free internet - a place called Bar Salicotto in via Salicotto and the Irish Pub but you need to take your laptop. There are a couple of WiFi hot spots in the streets but you have to guess where they are and I found 2 internet cafes that charge 2 or 3 euro per hour.

Perhaps I am not a B&B sort of person but I think it is important to know that not all rooms have balconies and not all people have amazing and positive experiences at this place.

Room Tip: Make sure if you are a solo traveler that you know what type of room you are allocated... the room for one person is not like others report
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo
copertaricamata, Proprietario at B&B La Coperta Ricamata, responded to this reviewResponded 24 May 2012

I reply to the long and detailed review to allow the readers to evaluate by himself. The room booked by the customer is a bedroom with French bed, where, typically, two people are housed. This is the smallest room that I have, and it is a room with an area of 13 square meters plus 3 square meters bathroom: where single rooms are so spacious? Of course the price is the lowest of the B&B. However, with respect to the entry: the villa is surrounded by a garden with gravel: it's never been a problem to carry the suitcase for 20 meters, however I understand that for the customer could be uncomfortable. The window overlooks the garden: we are in the historic city of Siena, and in front of us there are other neighboring buildings, particularly in the face of this room there are some works of reconstruction that will end in June: I've got to make it work not commence before 8 (for the law could begin to 7.00). As described in my website, only two rooms have a balcony, however the customer has not explicitly requested in this regard. The windows are two meters high and one meter wide, there is one in the bedroom and one in the bathroom: it is difficult to say that no light! When I clean the room (daily) I close the roller to avoid the sun and the dust on the glasses of the window: it is enogh to open the roller and... here the light! Regarding the breakfast, hot drinks served are: milk, coffee and hot water for tea, for the others things you can see on the list made by the customer, adding chocolate cream and honey. As written in my website, we haven't wi-fi: there is an internet point 20 mt far from us. Finally, the customer just arrived, as did not like the room, obviously I could not give her another room because I was full, so, because I desire just that she would be good during her stay in Siena, I suggested her to go somewhere else, without paying anything about my reservation. Regret a bad review in spite of all efforts made, and I hope people will read what there is written in my website before to reserve: nothing is hidden or false in my website.

Reviewed 21 November 2011

owner seemed annoyed, almost angry we were there. parking was difficult to find even with the map and directions from the owner. room was nice and clean, garden, what garden, breakfast fair.

Room Tip: better feel comfortable driving shoulder to shoulder with Italian drivers in order to park your car...wild ride
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank duckmt
copertaricamata, Proprietario at B&B La Coperta Ricamata, responded to this reviewResponded 25 November 2011

I am very very sorry to have transmitted this feeling to my guests! I always try to be very welcoming and friendly and meet all the needs of my guests: it's my job. Unfortunately, we too are human and we go through moments of life that is hard to hide one we are living daily.

Reviewed 28 October 2011

My husband and I were looking for peace, quiet and quaint as we arrived in Siena from a short stay in Rome. We were on the second leg of our honeymoon - being on a budget, we have been taking chances on B&Bs throughout Europe.

We are currently at a Sheraton in London and I can tell you that I am 100% yearning for our gorgeous room at la coperta!! The pictures do this gorgeous gem little justice, then location is ideal for being inside the old walls yet tucked away from any noise, and the hostess is warm, sweet and always right there when you need her.

Luciana is wonderful and speaks enough English so that even if the only Italian word you know is "pizza", you both will get along just fine. The rooms are not only clean, beautiful and cheerful, they are modern, well up to date and made me want to redecorate in a Tuscan style.

Breakfast is roughly from 715-9ish. Luciana sets up an adorable spread of cereal, juice, yogurt, coffee and pastries steps outside your door, then leaves so that you can gather breakfast at our leisure and eat at the table in your room. She claimed to clean "only a little", but when we returned to our room after a day of sightseeing, she had cleared out our breakfast and organized our bathroom (my hairdryer and brush were sitting quaintly on a new bathmat towel, our toothbrushes had been placed in the brand new chrome and glass water cup attachment in the wall and she had made the bathroom look westin hotel standard clean) and she had expertly made our beds, hospital corners and all!! These rooms even have little tvs, gorgeous wooden window coverings and doors, and ours had a balcony!

You cannot find better in Siena. My husband and I considered staying for another night or two. Don't forget to head to Sale e Pepe just up the road for the best pasta in Siena, hands down. Do yourself a favor - go pay a couple days visit to Luciana.

Room Tip: La serenade is the balcony room!
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 24 October 2011

This B&B is located near a bus stop which made it convenient for us without a car. Luciana was welcoming but at times difficult for her to understand and comprehend our English. She spoke very poor English and we spoke no Italian; nevertheless all of our needs were net. We had a large room with a small balcony. We were advised not to use the balcony in the evening due to the mosquitos. The bathroom was modern with toiletries provided for us. We had a small television that we did not watch since the channels were all in Italian. There were some book sin our room that we read at night. We took one and left one for the next person.

Our room was located on the second floor and it seemed like a long staircase made of marble. Outside of our room is where she left the breakfast food at 7:30. Coffee, tea, cereal, pastries were all available for us to take back into our room. There was no common room for us to meet other travels and share stories. They were doing construction work next door but we never heard any noise.

We were a 10 minute walk to the central bus station where we took a bus to San Gimagiano. I would not recommend buying a Siena bus pass as we had at the train station. Everything is walkable. Luciana did give us a map but it was very small and difficult for us to read. We did get lost and showed the map to a number of locals and they couldn't figure it out even though we thought we were on a main type street. Restaurants were close by though we did not eat where she recommend us to - a place where locals ate. We thought it was out of our price range. We were pleased with the accommodations.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple