“Amazing Tuscan Food and Wine Experience in...”
other traveller has booked this property
Dinner is ready Swimming Pooll
Admiral Butterfly in Montecastelli
Serving meal
Cooking Class
Evening
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Spanish first
Any
AdamSteph...
Sausalito, California
“Amazing Tuscan Food and Wine Experience in Beautiful Place”
Reviewed 18 May 2011 for a stay in April 2011

My wife and I spent two weeks in Italy for our honeymoon. We spent time in Rome and Cinque Terre, but our time at Villa Montecastello was the highlight.

The Villa is in a great location in Tuscany relatively close to Siena, Florence and many of the surrounding towns. The location itself is visually stunning as it sits on a hill that overlooks the vineyards of the Tuscan area. The views at sunset were some of the most beautiful we've ever seen. The Villa has been renovated and feels new, but the architecture maintains the beautiful, rustic charm you’d expect of the area. The property itself is a self-sustaining farm that includes pigs and horses and a garden that grows flowers and fresh herbs used in the cooking. There is also a pool, a pizza oven and
numerous tables and chairs in the courtyard and around the property perfect for a lazy day of relaxing, sipping wine or reading a book, which we spent a lot of time doing.

Jens and Barbara were amazing, knowledgeable and helpful hosts. We spent Easter holiday at the Villa and had the pleasure of having Easter lunch with Jens, Barbara, Jens’ mother, brother, his friends as well as Barbara’s mother and father. The lunch included a traditional Tuscan meal (Barbara and her mother are amazing cooks), salumi (made on the property) and local Italian wines. They were all so friendly and welcoming and we truly felt lucky to take part in their family’s Easter celebration.

We took two cooking classes. Jens led the antipasti class and the pasta class was taught by Barbara’s mother, who are both incredibly knowledgeable about food. We started the antipasti class by heading into the garden to pick out the herbs we needed. During the pasta class, we learned how to make three different types of fresh pasta from scratch as well as some of the best Ragu sauce I have ever had. The cooking classes had to be some of my favorite parts of the entire trip.

We also took a wine tour with Jens, which was also a lot of fun. Jens took us to the Montalcino area and gave us one of the most detailed and interesting wine tours I’ve ever been on. (I live in the Bay area and spend a lot of time in Napa and Sonoma). Jens is incredibly knowledgeable about wine, which makes the experience that much more interesting.

I think the best part of Montecastello is how customized you can make the experience. Whether you want to spend time wine tasting, or cooking, or day trips to surrounding areas, or lounging around, Jens and Barbara will help you plan all of it, which I really appreciated. Overall, I would not hesitate to recommend Montecastello to others and my wife and I cannot wait to go back.

Travelling group: With Spouse/Partner
Your age range 25-34
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   Yes.
Recommended for:
Friends getaway A romantic getaway
Older travelers Families with young children
Families with teenagers Tourists

Travelling group: Friends
Your age range 45-54
Washington
Reviewed 9 October 2010 for a stay in September 2010
people found this review helpful

Travelling group: Family (extended)
Your age range 65+

Reviewed 19 August 2010 for a stay in July 2010

Travelling group: Spouse / significant other
Your age range 35-44
Would I recommend this holiday rental to my best friend?
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
US$1,966
Night
Week
Book Now
Or, send the owner a message
This property has Payment Protection
Never pay for your holiday rental by wire transfer.
Learn more about paying safely.
Do you own a holiday rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing