“Good value and great location”
Review of Hotel Umbra

Hotel Umbra
Ranked #21 of 72 Hotels in Assisi
Reviewed 20 October 2017

This was a very good hotel located in a great location in Assisi. The views from our window were great. And it's just right off a main square. The staff was very helpful and gave us good recommendations for restaurants and things to see.

• Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 17 October 2017 via mobile

Right in the heart of Assisi the Umbra Hotel is a perfect location. Thanks to a Rick Steves recommendation we booked our reservation well in advance and couldn’t be more satisfied. The location is perfect. The proprietors welcoming and the rate was quite reasonable. We will definitely stay here again.

Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 October 2017

Lovely quiet hotel, location was perfect as it is just off the main piazza in the centre of town and still very quiet. Rooms were clean and of a good size. There was no air-conditioning in the room but leaving the terrace doors open provided plenty of lovely cool air through the room at night.
The staff were very helpful and pleasant and able to help with tourist as well as town ideas fur the duration of my stay.
Breakfast was in the dining room and was perfect for what I wanted, there was plenty to choose from including cereals, cold meats and cheeses as well as sweet bread and tarts.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed 17 October 2017

room #42--southwest corner

This is truly a hidden gem--just off the main square but a world away. This location
is near perfect for walking to any sight in Assisi and very close to all sorts of restaurants, bars, shops, and the recurring street market. There is a
wonderful rooftop patio--great sunset spot. A nice garden patio just off the lobby--
apparently part of an inactive restaurant. Lovely breakfast area; unfortunately the
breakfast was below average--coffee especially bad. The staff was friendly.
The room was large & fully equipped--unlike many in older hotels in Europe. It had
desk w/ chair, cocktail table w/ 2 chairs, large wardrobe; large comfortable bed, beamed ceiling, plenty of room for two suitcases, and large bath with a full-size tub.
The views from this room are wonderful--city scape, landscape, mountains, sunset,
and full moon.
We would happily stay at the Umbra again.

Room Tip: #42--quiet, cross ventilation (2 windows) view
  • Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 September 2017 via mobile

I reserved a room at this hotel based upon other TripAdvisor reviews. The hotel is situated in the center of Assisi, so it is convenient to walk to everything in town.

My room was lovely and quite comfortable. I was given room 20, which has a terrace and a nice little view of the town. My bed was comfortable and I slept like a baby.

The staff were all as friendly as can be. The owners were super sweet, as well.

My main concern was the lack of air conditioning in the room. The room does have a remote control A/C unit, but there was no remote control in the room. I went to the reception desk and spoke with Marco about it. Marco went into the back of the reception area, then came out and told me he turned it on. He told me it gets too cold at night there, so they haven't needed the A/C. I am familiar with the type of A/C unit used in my room and I can tell you it cannot be operated from another area. The second issue is I tend to feel warm most of the time; when other people are cool, I am breaking a sweat. So, I needed the A/C. I ended up sleeping with the terrace doors open at night, but there wasn't any way to cool off the room during the day. It was simply too warm outside.

The second concern is the breakfast. It is not good. The first issue is that the coffee is terrible. They have a machine that makes several different variations of coffee. The first time I tried to use it, my coffee came out thick and dark and very bitter. The second time I tried to use it, I had the same result. Each morning, there is a tired looking plate of prosciutto set out next to some rolls and cheese slices. The prosciutto looks dried out on the ends, as if it has been sitting there for awhile. It would be nice if there was some variety with the meats, maybe an addition of ham, salami and/or mortadella, as is served at other hotels. The scrambled eggs looked watery and they were accompanied by hot dogs (!). In other words, most everything looked unappetizing. The best bet at breakfast was the lemon tart and orange juice. The lady that works in the dining area is very nice, however.

The hotel really is nice and so are the people that work there. If they could just work on the air conditioning and the breakfast, they would be perfect.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled solo