We were two couples touring Umbria. We stayed at the Castello for two nights. It was originally built as part of the defenses of Gubbio 1000 yrs ago then came into the possession of various owners who lived there over the many years. The Duke of Urbino, made famous in a portrait by Piero della Francesca was supposedly born there illegitimately! The place is way atop a mountain ridge deep in the Umbrian countryside. It's gorgeous and isolated. The accommodations are top notch (we did not stay in the tower). The rooms were airy and although traditional outfitted with all modern conveniences. The staff were great-Leonardo, Lucia-very pleasant, thoughtful. We had dinner twice there and the meals were superb, the service top notch. The views from the rooms and the breakfast room are stunning. If you are planning a trip anywhere near the area a stay here is well worth it.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Midway through the ancient road that links Gubbio to Perugia, stands on the horizon the severe and majestic Petroia Castle. A path through woods and meadows leads to a huge gate, beyond which Petroia opens in all its beauty.The origins of the Castle of Petroia are to be found between the IX and X century, on the 7th June 1422 was born in Petroia Federico da Montefeltro, the most famous Duke of Urbino. The Castle of Petroia is composed of medieval buildings enclosed within the Castle's walls. The three buildings that make up the Castle welcome guests in spacious rooms: The ancient and authentic rooms are carefully furnished to create an elegant setting and a welcoming atmosphere. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com and Agoda so you can book your Castello di Petroia reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Castello Di Petroia Gubbio
- Castello Di Petroia Hotel Gubbio