Restaurant Chateau Guetsch
Cuisines: European, Mediterranean
Good for: View
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 28 September 2017

My husband and I enjoyed a lovely meal at the restaurant. The menu offered a lot of choice, we very much enjoyed our meal, the service was excellent and the view over the city and the lake are stunning.

Reviewed 27 September 2017

My five stars are mainly for the cocktails which although expensive were sublime. Explore the menu and heed the recommendations. My White Russian was fantastic as were the Buttermilk Margaritas.

We ate in the restaurant one night and had great fine dining food with a phenomenal view of the city and the lake as we watched a storm come through.

Perhaps best of all are breakfasts, out on the terrace when the weather is good and a view of morning sun on the lake and around the mountains that will last in your memory for ages.

Reviewed 6 September 2017 via mobile

I will attempt to be fair in my review as I experienced both ends of service from this property.

Let's get past the bad experience first. The manager of this property allowed an outside group to book space at this property shutting down the restaurant and the bar on a Saturday night. I do not have a problem with this. Here is where the problem is: They allowed the party to book a band for the evening. In my room the music was incredibly loud. The room vibrated as the drums and bass guitar played. I could hear when they were only talking on the microphone -imagine what it was like with loud music! At midnight I was sure the music would end soon. At one o'clock I was sure it would be done within the hour. At two o'clock I was sure it could not last. The music seemed to get louder and louder. At 3 o'clock I was upset. At 3:21 am I called the front desk and was told the music would end at 3:30am. I told the front desk how ridiculous this was to allow a group of people to disturb the sold out hotel guests until 3:30am. I was told that the manager- Tim Moitzi would handle hotel guest complaints (I guess they expected this). I understand that this was the manager that made the decision to sell out the hotel and book all of the rooms- even those located directly above the music.

When I checked out, the front desk person made no mention of how the manager wanted to handle this situation. Just before we finished checking out, I asked about what the manager was doing about our ruined vacation evening. At that time the front desk person read a note that the manager approved a 20% reduction on one of our room nights. 20% - think about. Is being forced to be awake until 3:30am 20% of the night? We had to get up at 7:00am to catch a train. We had a very difficult time running on 3 1/2 hours of sleep that day. This was our first time in Switzerland and almost a full day of our time was ruined by this managers lack of consideration. 20%- really?

This manager had the choice to not book the rooms directly above the music. He could have sold the rooms at a discount and informed guests BEFORE they accepted a reservation. I was told by a member of the staff that Tim Moitzi, the manager instructed the staff to sell all of the rooms. I wish Tim understood what his decision cost us in terms of interrupting our vacation. What is one of your vacation days worth to you??? Certainly more than 20% of one night room bill.

There was no manager available to speak to me at check out. I was told that I could write an email to the manager. If this manager had any regard for his hotel guests, why didn't he or a member of his staff seek out the guests affected. Why did he make guests have to ask to be compensated for his total lack of concern for his guests? I don't care about any money I felt I should have been compensated. It is more about holding a manager accountable for his careless treatment of his guests. When I was told I could write an email, I informed the front desk person that I would rather write a review of my experience and let the TripAdvisor readers determine if they want to stay at a hotel with this type of management. The font desk had no authority from Tim Moitzi to make things right.

Now that I have that off my chest, here is how I see the rest of the hotel. The staff is very capable and helpful. They do offer a free minibar and stock it with one Coke, one beer, orange juice, water and peanuts (nice touch). You will get a incredible view of Lucerne if you get a room with a view. It is incredible. My room was large and very comfortable. Large bathroom with two sinks. Very clean.

The funicular is a great way to get down to old town. Here is a catch. You have to be comfortable with steps to get into the hotel or down to he funicular. There are about 12-14 steps down for each. From the bottom of the funicular you have about an 18 minute walk to the train. Three of the four bus lines that pick up close to the funicular go to the train station.

We did not find a lot of good restaurant options near the funicular.

Breakfast- pretty basic, pretty good. All of the standard buffet option are available. There are few healthy options other than yoghurt and cereal/nuts/grains. Milk is your only option for this. Everything is self-service. One great thing here is that the room is very large for seating, including a lot of seating outdoors with a great view.

I would never stay at this hotel if they had an event at the property- do check, the manager will not care about your ability to sleep. However, if you get a commitment that there will not be a loud band at the property, it actually is a pretty nice choice. Enjoy the beauty of Lucerne!

2  Thank Steve H
Reviewed 31 August 2017 via mobile

My dinner experience at Chateau-Guetsch was well beyond expectations. Prices are comparable with the majority of places on the lake but with better views, great service & far fewer people. We were given a table for 2 overlooking Lucerne on a stunning evening. The clear beef soup had good, subtle flavours & was accompanied by soft bread. For main, the Gegrilltes Rindsfilet was cooked to perfection (medium). It was a good sized serving & the accompanying potato was full of flavour. My dessert of Homemade orange Tiramisu had hints of orange, was full of flavour, but not rich & was very generous in size. Overall it was an excellent dining experience from the moment we entered to the time we left.

Reviewed 30 July 2017

food good - worst service ever!
Even tho it was not crowded the service personal managed to do a terrible job!