“Worst hotel experience in 4 years ”
Review of Hotel Astoria

Hotel Astoria
Ranked #22 of 67 Hotels in Lucerne
Reviewed 17 September 2017 via mobile

First of all, this is my 5th visit to this hotel. For business I travel around Europe and on average I stay in 70 different hotels a year. On arrival I got my room keys and went to the fifth floor to room 1520. Nowhere on the hallway was my room to be found, because the room 1519 was the last one.

Finally I found my room, located IN the stairwell of the hotel. What a strange location was my first thought. Then I opened the door and there it was, the smallest 1 person hotel room I have ever had.

I immediately went to the reception to complain about this but their only reaction was that the hotel was fully booked so I had to stay for 2 nights in this room.

The worst of it all, the loud noises of people slamming the doors of the stairwell and people going up and down woke me up several times in the following 2 nights. Even with earplugs the noise level was unacceptable. For my job as coachdriver I need good sleep for the safety of the passengers. I will file an official complaint to Insight Vacations about this and hopefully the Astoria hotel comes up with a better solution next time. Maybe book me in a different hotel with a normal room if the hotel is fully booked.

Believe me, the rooms in some budget hotels are bigger and better.

The customer is always right, but not in this case.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled on business
astorialuzern, Quality Management at Hotel Astoria, responded to this reviewResponded 21 September 2017

Dear Remy D

We thank you for your stay at Hotel Astoria Lucerne and taking the time to give us your important feedback. We are very sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations, please allow us to express our sincere apologies.

Our primary goal is the satisfaction of our guests and we spare no effort to improve and optimize our service constantly. We definitely take your valuable feedback seriously. Regarding your room we would also like to mention that we only have a few of them. This kind of rooms are not bound at our availability. However, these are part of our contracts with large tour operators and free of charge.

Once again, we are very sorry that we could not meet your expectations and therefore offer our sincere apologies. Nevertheless, we hope to have another chance in the future in order to convince you of our improvements.

Kind regards

Martin - Quality Management

Reviewed 14 September 2017

The hotel was perfect. The room was spacious and comfortable along with being very clean. The staff and services were 5 star. We had breakfast at the hotel which outstanding. Great selection of food. All in all I would rate the hotel as being a 4 to 5 star. Would definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: If you travel to Lucerne, this hotel is a must to stay at. You won't be disappointed.
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
astorialuzern, Quality Management at Hotel Astoria, responded to this reviewResponded 10 October 2017

Dear Jim R

Thank you very much for your great feedback! We are happy to hear that you appreciated our service. It is our everyday passion to give guests a great time; starting at the entrance and finishing with a positive and memorable experience.

All the best to you! We are looking forward to welcoming you soon again at Hotel Astoria Luzern!

Reviewed 12 September 2017 via mobile

Our stay was positive. The room was clean, the hotel has a smart feel, breakfast was fantastic and the rooftop bar is amazing (although at 8 p.m. beer went up from 8 to 10 CHF a bottle!)

The price of a room felt very high, but we were aware that this was to be expected in Switzerland. However, we were a little disappointed that having paid extra for a Deluxe Design room with full height windows, the only view we had was of other windows in the hotel!

Lucerne is fantastic, and I'd definitely recommend an excursion to Engelberg and up Mt Titlis.

Overall a fantastic weekend stay, but the view meant the room fell short of 5 stars.

Stayed: September 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank tcz_8127

Dear tcz_8127

Thank you very much for your stay at Hotel Astoria Lucerne and your review. We are happy that we could convince you with Penthouse Roof Top bar and the quality of our breakfast.

All the best to you! We are looking forward to welcoming you soon again!

Reviewed 12 September 2017

Stayed here as part of our Insight tour of Switzerland and was impressed with the quality of the hotel.

Comfy beds, plenty of space, large bathroom, rooftop bar (excellent for a late night beverage overlooking the city), easy walking distance to the city centre and the lake

• Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Bruce C

Dear Bruce C

We thank you very much for sharing your opinion on TripAdvisor. The Hotel Astoria team is happy to read, that you had a wonderful stay with us. We all hope that you arrived save back at home, with good memories of your trip to Lucerne and are looking forward to welcoming you soon again!

Reviewed 12 September 2017

The Astoria is very centrally located and the staff are welcoming and professional - the gentlemen who helped us with the underground garage and our luggage was 1st class.

The room was clean and bed comforable, but it is a little unusal to have a mini bar with drinks and no bottle opener and then asking for one to come up and being told it was on loan to open the current drink!

The breakfast was really nice and the staff delightful.

Its Switzerland so be preapred for sticker shock, but even then parking was still ridiculous.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled as a couple

Dear evilC19

We thank you for your feedback on TripAdvisor and are happy to read that you enjoyed a wonderful time at our house.

We are looking forward to welcoming you soon again at Hotel Astoria Lucerne!