All reviewsraclettebasic hotelno elevatorcable carbad smelltwo single bedscomfy bedcheese fonduevery pleasant staywengen stationthe snow capped mountainsswitzerlandkettleviewsbalconytrainluggage
Reviewed 15 February 2016

I stayed here for 2 nights for a ski weekend in Wengen.

This hotel was horrible.

We stayed in a room with a shared bathroom as when we booked there were no other rooms available. Hotel had a horrible smell...as one other review said 'wet dog' I kind of thought it smelt like 'cheesy wet dog' (as the restaurant has fondue)
Sheets had hairs all over them. But otherwise room was okay.

It was really the state of the hotel as to why I wouldn't go back. Seemed dirty and not cared for. Things seem like they have just been left and the owner has no desire to even renovate, not even a little. For example: toilet downstairs near the ski room had a sign on the door which said 'for guests only' but there was a machine attached to the door for you to out in a 1chf coin to open the door.

Ski room was terrible. No warmers for your boots. There were a few seats there which were placed directly on top of the water pipes for the building which meant when you sat down you would hit your head on the very large handles.
Breakfast was ordinary. The ham and salami looked old...very old. No way I was eating that!! The egg cooker looked like it hadn't been cleaned in years either.
The bread was nice though.

The location is good. Right in town and close to the ski lift (if you are skiing) that's about the only positive thing I would say about this hotel!
We stayed here because as residents of Switzerland we know how difficult it is to find a room under 200chf so we thought we would try this one. It's fine for 1 or 2 nights (just keep expectations very low) but no longer!!

Strangely they had no shortage of customers for such a run down and dirty hotel.
I wouldn't stay again. Owner was VERY grumpy as well.

• Stayed: February 2016, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Pinkpeonie
Reviewed 4 February 2016

Read a lot of grumpy reviews of Bernerhof hotel so we were worried before we checked in 2 weeks ago. Shouldn't have been as it is really charming....and the staff we came across were helpful, friendly and hard working. But remember this is the luxury resort of Wengen with high expectations and most other hotels double the price of Bernerhof, however we found it good value with added bonus of being just over the road from the main cable car lift.
The only real downside is lack of an elevator but rooms were spotlessly clean, beds so comfy with a choice of pillow, endless hot water supply in the shower ( yes in a wardrobe space.... but so what), great views from the window ( we had a balcony too as on front) good breakfast and dinner options with the chance to try raclette or fondue at no extra cost. We had the added delight of meeting Duggie and Gail too ( see 2013 review)..... a really unique couple always with a funny story to tell, the tartan Viking hats on Burns night a particular favourite.
So in summary if you want the wengen experience without the cost why not try the Bernerhof?

• Stayed: January 2016, travelled as a couple
2  Thank lynaEngland
Reviewed 2 February 2016

I have been coming here over the last few years and have always found the room to be clean, warm and well equipped for a studio accommodation.
The Manager Lidice and her Staff have always been friendly and very helpful. Nothing is to much trouble. Christoph the Chef cooks the most divine Shepherds Pie and has even started doing Fish, Chips and mushy peas every Friday and I must say, it is wonderful...Well done Christoph.

Room Tip: I prefer The residence with a balcony
  • Stayed: January 2016, travelled solo
Reviewed 19 December 2015 via mobile

Staff unfriendly . Smallest bathroom I have ever seen looked more like a wardrobe than a bathroom . Terrible breakfast Could not drink the coffee it was so bad croissants that were still frozen. Old building poorly maintained . You can get other places that are better value in Wengen with more friendly staff. Overall I will never stay there again.

Stayed: November 2015, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Rogenmr
Reviewed 7 November 2015

I was put off but several things in this hotel but did not even plan to write a review until after a very unpleasant interaction with hotel management. When booking the room at this hotel, I didn't have high expectations but we needed a cheaper place to stay. Given this, when I noticed that the room was not particularly clean, the sheets were dirty, and the place smelled of wet dog, I figured we get what we pay for. However, what really put me off was the hotel management (and I presume the owner). We booked a three person room and one night two of us wanted to eat a late dinner while the third person in our party wanted to go off and do their own thing. The hotel has some complex key system where we needed to submit our room key to get the main door key, which they lock at 10pm. As a result, there is only one copy of the room and main door key per party. When we asked for a second main door key, we were told we needed to give a deposit of 50 francs, which we did not have. We offered 30 francs (which is what we had on us) and the manager told us that she would still not give us a key and if we were not back by 10pm, we would be locked out of the hotel. I find it ridiculous that they spent money on some fancy key system that inconveniences their guests when its quite clear that hotel is super old and they could have used the money to update it (i.e., buy new sheets). Spend your money somewhere else!

• Stayed: October 2015, travelled with friends