“Good views, but otherwise mixed”

Ristorante Castelgrande e Grotto San Michele
Ranked #4 of 88 Restaurants in Bellinzona
Price range: US$8 - US$44
Cuisines: Mediterranean
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Description: The Castelgrande Restaurant serves local cuisine with Mediterranean accents elaborated with fresh, seasonal and local, in order to offer a culinary combination and amazing gastronomy for any palate. The attentive service and professional spoil you unforgettable moments. The Grotto San Michele awaits you with its fabulous terrace, between the town-walls and the vineyards of Castelgrande with a panoramic view of the city of Bellinzona. The gastronomic offer could not deviate from the Ticino tradition with the dishes of our territory . Grotto San Michele The Grotto San Michele awaits you with its fabulous outdoor terrace and feature vaulted room, between the town-walls and the vineyards of Castelgrande with view on the city of Bellinzona. The gastronomic offer could not deviate from the Ticino tradition with dishes in our territory but also with the proposals of the business lunch "Godenda”. Every tuesday and wednesday nights take advantage of our special evening.
Reviewed 14 September 2016

There are two restaurants in Castelgrande and we went to the Grotto San Michele. I had seen that there was a special fritto misto menu in the summer months so thought it was worth a try. I sent an email to reserve a table but as there was no reply we went and visited the day before. Sure enough there was no reservation so we made one then.
The next day we walked back up the hill and said we had reserved for the special menu. We were given a table but not one marked reserved. Shortly afterwards we were twice asked if we wanted food! Then we were asked if we would like an aperirif but I was told there was no list available, they would suggest one or I could state what I wanted. I tried wine, again no basic list so I took some of the house red. I did enjoy reading the special bottles list but we weren't there for special wine.
We had been told that the fritto misto menu started at 19:00 and we had got there early expecting to enjoy a glass of wine before the meal. No hope, the starter arrived very quickly so we took our time. The food was fine and the menu included a small amount of wine (250 ml per person). We were told we could have red or white but a waiter just brought white and poured it without asking.
On getting the bill, I found that house white starts at CHF 7 per decilitre, far more than it was worth. We paid and went knowing we would not return.
It was a catalogue of failures and not cheap.

1  Thank Veni_bibi_edi

Reviewed 15 August 2016 via mobile

Great food in a wonderful atmosphere with views on the town. Also has inside seating.
The food was of good quality .
Closed on Mondays in the off season.
Tops in Bellinzona.

1  Thank Wawakam
Reviewed 13 August 2016

Looking through the old photos I came across some pictures from this restaurant. Come to think of it, it all went by in a flash - I got engaged there, celebrated my wedding, birthdays and anniversaries of the dearest family members. It made me feel nostalgic as if wishing to call on a friend of mine I haven't heard of for four months.

I know I can count on an elegant and romantic ambience, impeccable service and exquisite food.
" What else? "
Oops, this phrase may well attract George Clooney there, so it's better to hurry up and book a table :)

2  Thank doponto
Reviewed 18 November 2015

The food was excellent and the waiter divine! After wandering the grounds and going through the museum we had a lovely lunch on the patio. So fresh and healthy.

Reviewed 15 November 2015 via mobile

We visited Grotto San Michelle for dinner. Food was very good. We tasted white and red wines and tgey were perfetto!
Price might be on a higher side but its an experience not to be missed.