“Grotto San Michele is a must visit”

Ristorante Castelgrande e Grotto San Michele
Ranked #5 of 86 Restaurants in Bellinzona
Price range: US$9 - US$47
Cuisines: Mediterranean
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 15 May 2017 via mobile

The view from the terrace of Grotto San Michele is incredible! And the waiters go out of their way for the guests, got me an amazing plate after the kitchen closed for lunch!

Reviewed 22 April 2017 via mobile

This restaurant is actually called Grotto San Michele and we decided to sit outside and look at the gorgeous views under the sun. Amazing experience and the food was good. The waiter was excellent too.

Reviewed 29 December 2016

The setting of the Grotto is just beautiful. Considering you are eating in a tourist attraction, I was very surprised at the quality of the delicious food.

High chair was provided for our 2 year old. Everyone enjoyed their meal. Kids were provided with something to color in and they had four different options between 8-14chf.

1  Thank simplefamilytravel
Reviewed 18 October 2016

It was a perfect late October day and lunch on the terrace was in order. Service was friendly, not rushed though the restaurant was full. Husband had "one of the best salads ever, Salata Castelgrande." I thoroughly enjoyed mt\y Parmesan risotto.

2  Thank illini572016
Reviewed 14 September 2016

There are two restaurants in Castelgrande and we went to the Grotto San Michele. I had seen that there was a special fritto misto menu in the summer months so thought it was worth a try. I sent an email to reserve a table but as there was no reply we went and visited the day before. Sure enough there was no reservation so we made one then.
The next day we walked back up the hill and said we had reserved for the special menu. We were given a table but not one marked reserved. Shortly afterwards we were twice asked if we wanted food! Then we were asked if we would like an aperirif but I was told there was no list available, they would suggest one or I could state what I wanted. I tried wine, again no basic list so I took some of the house red. I did enjoy reading the special bottles list but we weren't there for special wine.
We had been told that the fritto misto menu started at 19:00 and we had got there early expecting to enjoy a glass of wine before the meal. No hope, the starter arrived very quickly so we took our time. The food was fine and the menu included a small amount of wine (250 ml per person). We were told we could have red or white but a waiter just brought white and poured it without asking.
On getting the bill, I found that house white starts at CHF 7 per decilitre, far more than it was worth. We paid and went knowing we would not return.
It was a catalogue of failures and not cheap.

1  Thank Veni_bibi_edi