US$262
US$131
US$92
US$84
  • Pool
All reviewsjunior suitemain buildinglake luganorelais chateauxpiano barbig balconyfive star hotelimpeccable servicethe hotel offershigh levelbeautiful hotelsitting areafresh fruitcroissantsresidencespamountains
Reviewed 2 September 2017

This place didn't make a great first impression on me, but by the end of our 3 nights there, I had warmed up considerably.

To begin, the lobby is underwhelming and dated. Second, the woman with whom we checked in was brusque and cold. Neither of those made for a great welcome. Third, we went to check out the gym in the sister property across the street (no gym in the main hotel), and it is similarly about 20 years behind the times, without any windows and without a functioning water cooler the two days I went to use it.

Fortunately, things improved significantly after that! Our bedrooms were huge (bedroom area, sitting room, big balcony, two walk in closets, big bathroom) and were tastefully decorated in an old world style.

The view from the hotel is one of the most majestic I've seen in my entire life. Plan your days so you can enjoy a sunset drink from the terrace. We loved the live music at night too.

We had dinner at the formal restaurant twice and on the casual terrace once. All three were excellent, though, as is the case in Switzerland, extremely expensive. The sommelier (Gabriel?) was our favorite-- so professional and pleasant.

All interactions with other front desk staff were great. Not sure why we had continual strained bad rapport with that first one. I don't think we were difficult customers!

One other thought-- Switzerland is known for its amazing chocolate. I would have thought that if any hotel would put a chocolate on your pillow at night, it would be a Relais & Chateaux in Switzerland, but there weren't any treats (though the daily water bottles were nice and I suppose better for one's waistline!).

If we come back to Lugano, I'd certainly come back for dinner/an evening on that terrace.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family
Barbara_Gibellini, General Manager at Villa Principe Leopoldo, responded to this reviewResponded 1 October 2017

Dear Guest HKH1987

First of all we do thank you heart-fully for your very details and positive review.
Gabriele and the Restaurant and Bar Staff are very pleased with your comment as well as Mr Dario Ranza, our executive chef who takes care of our gastronomic offer since 26 years with unchanged high quality and deliciousness.

I am upset that there was no empathic relationship at the check in time. And we have discussed with all the staff in order to avoid it from eventually happen again.
For us it's a must to welcome all our guests with a natural big smile and let them feel like at home.

I wish I will have the chance to demonstrate it to you in the next future
My best regards
Barbara Gibellini,

Reviewed 1 September 2017

Very elegant, great service, very traditional. Old fashioned and classy charm. Part of the Relaix-Chateaux Chain, lives up to the expectations. Easy to reach by car - also has chauffeur services if needed.

• Stayed: December 2016, travelled with family
Barbara_Gibellini, General Manager at Villa Principe Leopoldo, responded to this reviewResponded 30 September 2017

Dear Beatrice,

for all of us Christmas time is a very intense working period, but since I am working in Villa Principe Leopoldo, it's also a very suggestive day! It's such a emotioning pleasure to take care of our very special guest choosing to spend that festive time with us!

We also would love to thank you for your review!
looking forward to welcome you back in Lugano !
Barbara Gibellini,

Reviewed 27 August 2017

A friend of mine suggested this hotel and we were not disappointed. I am heavily pregnant and have a toddler and so my needs were pretty specific - all of which were accommodated by the top class service team at the hotel. There is lots to like about the hotel. The location, the majestic views, the beautifully appointed rooms, the terrace dining - but what sets it apart is its service. Nothing was too much trouble. My toddler fell and grazed his knee and - unasked - I was flanked by a whole team bringing gauze and disinfectants and anything they could think of to help. That doesn't happen just anywhere. I would be cautious of the food bill though. If you are happy to go into town (5 minutes away by shuttle) then you can choose your budget. A special thank you to Barbara for making our stay so welcoming.

Room Tip: The middle rooms have lovely lake views even for partial view rooms.
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family

Dear Mrs Davina,

there is no words to express you how grateful and happy we are with your review ! but more than this we were very happy to have you staying with us!
We wish to welcome you back in Lugano, with your wonderful family!

Reviewed 27 August 2017

I stayed again in this hotel, cleanliness and maintenance very poor, reception not up to expectations they do not speak English at front desk and they are kind of arrogant. I stayed several times, innovation is an unknown word for this hotel, i do not recommend there are better options in town.

Room Tip: Do not stay in the Villa too noisy
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled on business
1  Thank Charlie B

Dear Charlie B,

we are very upset for your review.

Please refer to me for giving more details about what was not satisfying your expectations, writing to barbara.gibellini@leopoldohotel.com
I would be very pleased to welcome you in the next future and discuss about what we can improve with a tasting coffee on our wonderful terrace

My best regards

Reviewed 24 July 2017 via mobile

We went to Lake Como first and stayed at Villa Tremezzo. The contrast was interesting. Lake Lugano is much smaller so the mountains are a lot closer. Principe was a very on stone manor . The hotel lobby not so impressive but the rooms were very updated , large and beautiful. Heres the clincher though... the prices in Switzerland are just stupid. We went to Zurich and Geneva earlier this summer and the prices were also ridiculous. Its not the frank.... .96...a little more than a dollar to get a frank. What is crazy here is the unit cost. Who needs a 29 frank cream of tomato soup, 48 frank gazpacho or a 50 frank club sandwich ... in the bar!!!! The transportation costs are also crazy. For instance we are traveling back to Milan to fly direct to JFK. The driver told us to be sure and book the car through the Italian company , otherwise you are paying double if booked in Lugano. The hotel has Michelin Stars. The food is good, rooms great, and good service. Only downside.... Its in Switzerland!

Stayed: July 2017, travelled as a couple

Dear Mr Coccindy,

thank you for choosing our Hotel and for your very good review.
We wish to welcome you back in Lugano, as we have so many things we would love to show you in our country that will let you fall in love with Switzerland!
our best regards