All reviews junior suite main building lake lugano relais chateaux hotel spa piano bar room service big balcony five star hotel impeccable service the hotel offers lake view high level surrounding mountains beautiful hotel sitting area croissants
Reviewed 19 September 2017

This is a joke of a 5 star hotel: kitsch decoration, old infrastructure (elevators dating from the 1960's, and I'm being kind, keys and not cards to enter the rooms). The spa is ridiculously small, there is no covered swimming pool, and if you want to go to the gym, you have to cross the street and go to the 4-star hotel that belongs to the same owner. The view on the lake is mostly covered by plants.

The icing on the cake was the cesar salad I ordered at the bar: 34 CHF for a big bowl of iceberg lettuce, a few pieces of chicken, a little bit of cooked egg, big slices of parmiggiano, and some croutons bought in the supermarket). All this seasoned with a very commercial dressing. What happened to the anchovies, the home-made croutons and the romaine lettuce? What about presenting it in a nice dish? When I complained the bar manager was rude and dismissive, using the classic sentence people who know little about customer service use: "we have served many salads and you are the first person to complain".

Very disappointing stay, and a very poor price / quality ratio. I do not plan to go there again, and do would not recommend this hotel to anyone going to Lugano.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled with family
1  Thank sernine01
Barbara_Gibellini, General Manager at Villa Principe Leopoldo, responded to this reviewResponded 1 October 2017

Dear Mr Sernine01,

we are very surprised by your comment that left all of us speechless. As you did not say nothing at the reception during your stay, or to me at the check out time.
We do understand when we are not able to satisfy our guest expectations, and we really appreciate your advise about what we can improve.

But beside this, we do not accept when a guest confirm his being satisfied for waiting to write on Tripadvisor. We invite you to be more transparent in order to give us a chance to demonstrate our professional attitude and service.

I take the time to precise that in our Lobby Bar Menu the Caesar Salad is explicitly defined "our style", as the Chef has chosen his interpretation of the classic receipt. Anyway on the menu the list of ingredients is listed. For your knowledge, please be reassured that all the dressing and ingredients are homely prepared by our Kitchen staff.
Anyway I have taken the occasion to review your note with the bar manager who does express his excuses if he was not able to be empathic or in case he gave the impression to be rude. This was absolutely not the intention.
We all wish you would choose to visit us again in the next future and I will remain at your disposal for more questions or details you would love to share with me.

Reviewed 2 September 2017

This place didn't make a great first impression on me, but by the end of our 3 nights there, I had warmed up considerably.

To begin, the lobby is underwhelming and dated. Second, the woman with whom we checked in was brusque and cold. Neither of those made for a great welcome. Third, we went to check out the gym in the sister property across the street (no gym in the main hotel), and it is similarly about 20 years behind the times, without any windows and without a functioning water cooler the two days I went to use it.

Fortunately, things improved significantly after that! Our bedrooms were huge (bedroom area, sitting room, big balcony, two walk in closets, big bathroom) and were tastefully decorated in an old world style.

The view from the hotel is one of the most majestic I've seen in my entire life. Plan your days so you can enjoy a sunset drink from the terrace. We loved the live music at night too.

We had dinner at the formal restaurant twice and on the casual terrace once. All three were excellent, though, as is the case in Switzerland, extremely expensive. The sommelier (Gabriel?) was our favorite-- so professional and pleasant.

All interactions with other front desk staff were great. Not sure why we had continual strained bad rapport with that first one. I don't think we were difficult customers!

One other thought-- Switzerland is known for its amazing chocolate. I would have thought that if any hotel would put a chocolate on your pillow at night, it would be a Relais & Chateaux in Switzerland, but there weren't any treats (though the daily water bottles were nice and I suppose better for one's waistline!).

If we come back to Lugano, I'd certainly come back for dinner/an evening on that terrace.

• Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family

Dear Guest HKH1987

First of all we do thank you heart-fully for your very details and positive review.
Gabriele and the Restaurant and Bar Staff are very pleased with your comment as well as Mr Dario Ranza, our executive chef who takes care of our gastronomic offer since 26 years with unchanged high quality and deliciousness.

I am upset that there was no empathic relationship at the check in time. And we have discussed with all the staff in order to avoid it from eventually happen again.
For us it's a must to welcome all our guests with a natural big smile and let them feel like at home.

I wish I will have the chance to demonstrate it to you in the next future
Barbara Gibellini,

Reviewed 1 September 2017

Very elegant, great service, very traditional. Old fashioned and classy charm. Part of the Relaix-Chateaux Chain, lives up to the expectations. Easy to reach by car - also has chauffeur services if needed.

• Stayed: December 2016, travelled with family
Barbara_Gibellini, General Manager at Villa Principe Leopoldo, responded to this reviewResponded 30 September 2017

Dear Beatrice,

for all of us Christmas time is a very intense working period, but since I am working in Villa Principe Leopoldo, it's also a very suggestive day! It's such a emotioning pleasure to take care of our very special guest choosing to spend that festive time with us!

We also would love to thank you for your review!
looking forward to welcome you back in Lugano !
Barbara Gibellini,

Reviewed 27 August 2017

A friend of mine suggested this hotel and we were not disappointed. I am heavily pregnant and have a toddler and so my needs were pretty specific - all of which were accommodated by the top class service team at the hotel. There is lots to like about the hotel. The location, the majestic views, the beautifully appointed rooms, the terrace dining - but what sets it apart is its service. Nothing was too much trouble. My toddler fell and grazed his knee and - unasked - I was flanked by a whole team bringing gauze and disinfectants and anything they could think of to help. That doesn't happen just anywhere. I would be cautious of the food bill though. If you are happy to go into town (5 minutes away by shuttle) then you can choose your budget. A special thank you to Barbara for making our stay so welcoming.

Room Tip: The middle rooms have lovely lake views even for partial view rooms.
  • Stayed: August 2017, travelled with family

Dear Mrs Davina,

there is no words to express you how grateful and happy we are with your review ! but more than this we were very happy to have you staying with us!
We wish to welcome you back in Lugano, with your wonderful family!

Reviewed 27 August 2017

I stayed again in this hotel, cleanliness and maintenance very poor, reception not up to expectations they do not speak English at front desk and they are kind of arrogant. I stayed several times, innovation is an unknown word for this hotel, i do not recommend there are better options in town.

Room Tip: Do not stay in the Villa too noisy
  • Stayed: July 2017, travelled on business
1  Thank Charlie B

Dear Charlie B,

we are very upset for your review.

Please refer to me for giving more details about what was not satisfying your expectations, writing to barbara.gibellini@leopoldohotel.com
I would be very pleased to welcome you in the next future and discuss about what we can improve with a tasting coffee on our wonderful terrace