“Convenient stay for visits to Theatre 11, exhibition halls or sport events in Hallenstadion”
Review of Hotel Loewen

Hotel Loewen
Hotel Loewen
Ranked #32 of 46 Zurich B&B and Inns
Reviewed 11 December 2015

This is a clean, convenient and calm apartment hotel in the center of Oerlikon. It has no reception and no services, but the rooms are clean and comfortable, there is no gimmick but all you need is available.Beds are comfortable, there is a fully equipped kitchen and bathroom with shower. By foot to theatre 11 or sports or music events in the Hallenstadion or to exhibition halls it's a mere 6-7 minutes. Prices are very attractive for Zurich area.

Stayed: December 2015
1  Thank Max H

Reviewed 14 November 2015

I stayed in this hotel as part of a business function as it was within walking distance of the venue. It does not have a reception area and I did not have the 4 digit number of my reservation handy. After calling I found out I made a mistake in the reservation, instead of November I had reserved December. The lady on the phone was VERY accommodating and found a room for me, walked me through the key receiving and how to give the key back. The room was spacious and clean but very basic. It had everything I needed and I would stay there again.

• Stayed: November 2015, travelled on business
1  Thank dolphinbaydiversfiji
Reviewed 13 November 2015

We firstly arrived without knowing you needed a booking reference number to be able to get your key from a machine outside of the building. Because we have been travelling for 4 months we rely on wifi and do not have simcards. So we tried connecting to the wifi but you need to be able to receive an SMS code for the wifi code which we were not able to do. Luckily a woman came out of the building and let us use her phone otherwise I have no idea what we would of done late at night with many many bags with us.
There is also NO reception! Which is extremely annoying if you have a query you have no one to contact! There is no information in the room of things to do or anything to inform guests about the city. And the phone in the rooms don’t work.
There aren’t many restaurants / places to eat in the area. There is a Thai restaurant under the building but main meals were over 27 Franks EACH, which is ridiculous! We ended up getting takeaway Chinese across the road, where mains were 15 Franks, which still is not cheap for budget backpackers.
There is no lift, so if you are situated on the top floor this will be difficult for you!
Yes it’s cheap, if you are not fussed maybe this will be okay for you but as a backpacking couple we would of MUCH preferred a hostel! I will not be recommending this to ANYONE

• Stayed: November 2015, travelled as a couple
2  Thank KristyLeeB94
Reviewed 20 August 2015

We received a 5 digit pin via email to retrieve our transponder to enter into the apartment a few days after confirming our booking. It was close to a 7-minute walk from the Oerlikon train station, a stop away from Zurich HB main station. There wasn't a clear sign to the entrance of the inn, we had to ask the restaurant staff next door in order to locate the entrance.
Once at the entrance, we took about a minute to figure out the machine in order to retrieve the key as once again there was no clear instruction nor staff. The room was fine, although the toilet was a little small and the balcony was tiny with no good view whatsoever.
The most annoying part was that the Wifi password required a phone call to retrieve and as tourists for a short trip we did not purchase a phone line hence we had no access to the internet.
All in all, it was pricey for the minimum or no service at all, a clean room but no amenities nearby and requiring a train ride from Zurich train station which was slightly inconvenient.

• Stayed: July 2015, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 August 2015

It's not even a hotel. It's really an apartment.

I received booking cofirmation from Expedia but upon arrival, was told by the (detached) restaurant of the same name that I needed a code to enter on the machine on the outside of the building. I had not received an email containing such a code so was forced to make a phone call to receive instructions from some (quite friendly) guy in broken English. This was not what I wanted at 10pm after a long flight.

As soon as I gained access, it became apparent that this place was not going to live up to the photographs.

To be fair, it was clean but very drab and not that well maintained. Broken shower door, damaged fiitings etc.

I would not recommend this place unless you are on a very tight budget.

• Stayed: August 2015, travelled on business