“Great location, stylish and excellent service, though a little expensive for what it is.”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of The Dylan

The Dylan
Ranked #24 of 364 Hotels in Amsterdam
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 November 2011

Really liked this place. Centrally located on one of the canal streets, but set back from the street a bit behind an iron gate like a little surprise. Close to great shopping and some excellent restaurants. The room was quite big, as well. Can't say enough about the staff, they're helpful and nice. I thought the bathroom design was strange....you can't stop the water running out from the shower all over the place. That's my only gripe though. Husband thought $500 USD was a bit much for what it was. I agree, but these days the exchange rate is just not favorable, I guess.

• Stayed November 2011
1 Thank dhh1980

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (106)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 November 2011

Our stay at the Dylan was wonderful. The room was clean, large and comfortable. There was a very comfortable cot in the room for our son and the room was large enough to accommodate the cot without crowding the room. Breakfast and lunches in the lounge were delicious. The staff was friendly and polite.
As this is a review, there are a few items to note.
1. No full length mirror in the room.
2. Our room faced the canal. The view was terrific but it can be noisy. We did not experience any prolonged or outrageous but we also were not there on a Friday or Saturday night. The windows do not keep out any noise.
3. No one met us when we arrived. It wasn't a problem for us, we were not jet lagged, the weather was good and we are young. It is worth noting as this service is standard for a luxury hotel and along with what wasn't an issue for us but could be for others, the streets and sidewalks of amsterdam are narrow,the cobble stones are not friendly to the wheels on luggage and the entrance for the Dylan is recessed through a courtyard, so partially hidden.
4. Breakfast is done very well but is expensive. Be sure to check your bill. We were overcharged once but we noticed at breakfast and it was taken care of immediately.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
8 Thank SSJK
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 October 2011

The Dylan is beautifully situated, right in the fashionable area with the Negen Straatjes (Nine Streets) with lots of small boutiques. Great for shopping.

We have mixed feelings about our stay. Staff is very friendly, breakfast is good and some of the rooms are nice. However we had a Duplex room with a tiny bed. So, if possible avoid this room (number 18).

We had asked for two similar rooms next to each other, since we were travelling with our two daugthers. At the time of booking this was not possible, we had to upgrade to a Duplex room (€500/night), whereas our daughters stayed in a double room on the same floor. Upon arrival we asked once more, whether is was possible to have two adjacent rooms, but those were not available.

When we went to bed, we discovered that the bed in our room was very small. The two person bed was not longer than 1.85m, which is very uncomfortable if you are 1.95 m tall! I was not amused, so we called reception in the middle of the night. At first they said all beds were 2 meters long, which I denied. The manager on duty came up, and admitted the bed was quite short! The offered us another room (€395/night), with a normal bed...next to our daugthers' room!

It was very unpleasant to move rooms in the middle of the night, to finally end up in the room you had originally asked for!

The next morning I asked to pay for the room we slept in, which was €105 cheaper than the room we originally got. The hotel didn't accept this and instead offered us breakfast. I was quite amazed how this was handled. You move guests in the middle of the night to another (cheaper) room, and then make them pay for the other room?!? Disappointing.

However, if you manage to get another room, you will enjoy your stay in this hotel!

Room Tip: Some of the rooms have these small beds (1.60x1.85 m), if you are tall, check what kind of bed the r...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank DCR_11
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 October 2011

This was my first time in Amsterdam. My friend chose the Dylan Hotel. A recommendation by a friend. I was given the websites address to choose a "themed" room, for our visit. They have themed rooms there. Oh boy..... (!)

Well, I made a mistake and chose the "Loft." On line, I thought it looked fun. And better to stay in an A- framed style wooden loft when in Holland, than an Asian style room! When in Rome... right?

I cannot say that it was all bad, nor all pleasant. But not a hotel I would chose again, regardless of the room.

If you go and are traveling with children (as I can be like, at times) this "loft" may serve one well. The living area is spacious. I chose to sleep there, instead of the bed.

My friend kept hitting his head on the upper doorway when passing through certain walkways (like the steps down into the bathroom).
I found this rather amusing, though! Beware... The bathroom was large, but had NO doors. Privacy is necessary for just about anyone who uses modern cutlery and walks upright. My companion was annoyed that he was too tall for he shower. My companion stands about five feet- nine inches. Not a basket ball player, nor a model!

We both found it very drafty. When time to depart, I had called for assistance for the luggage twice. Nobody ever arrived. I began to depart this "loft" via the private staircase that was circular, uneven, and made of wood that was warped. I managed to get a piece of luggage tightly suspended between the walls, stick in mid- air. I was SO lucky that a neighbor had heard the sounds of my trouble, and came to aid me. Thankfully, he even helped me all the way through the long lobby and over to the front desk. A very long walk when with four cases! Incredibly kind!

The lobby is lovely. The reception area is nice. The location is very good. Will I go back? No. Nor can I recommend this hotel to anyone I like!

I wish I could say that they "tried." But even so, this was not the case. Oh well.

Room Tip: If you are over five feet nine inches, choose another room. You will likely bash your head and not f...
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 October 2011

Beautiful hotel...in a great location...faultless. Very memorable stay in Amsterdam...I can't wait to return...

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple