“Very good view terrible food”

Amstel Brasserie at InterContinental Amstel Amsterdam
Ranked #558 of 4,003 Restaurants in Amsterdam
Price range: US$25 - US$57
Dining options: Reservations
Neighbourhood: Plantage & the East
Description: The Amstel Brasserie is the little brother of restaurant La Rive and makes an excellent alternative. The menu is seasonal with simple, brasserie-style dishes. It's the ideal venue for a relaxed lunch, dinner or for a drink. Alongside a varied three-course menu for the reasonable price of € 45,00, the Brasserie menu offers seasonal dishes and classic favourites such as Caesar salad, our tender Amstel burger or beef croquettes with brioche. The Amstel Brasserie has a relaxed atmosphere, the seating is level with the river Amstel. The interior design is inspired by the continuous procession of sailing boats, water taxis and rowing boats that you'll see pass by whether you're sitting out on the terrace or indeed inside in the brasserie, where the windows give an unrestricted view of the river.
Reviewed 14 July 2017 via mobile

This is my second time to Amstel Brasserie. The first time is 2 years ago, food and service at that time were not so good but we were really impressed by the canal view.
I give more more try this time as we have a business clients first time come to Amsterdam. Booked lunch there, had 2 -course menu ( beef tartar and king prawn), lamb fillet and burger.
The king prawn is super salty, lamb fillet is still with frozen smell while burger the beef is very hard ( medium we order)

The lunch costed 130 euro , basically we paid the price for the canal view.
So disappointed how can the Amstel hotel have such quality of food.

I don't think will go back for the 3 rd time.

Anita B, General Manager at Amstel Brasserie at InterContinental Amstel Amsterdam, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2017

Dear guest,

I would like to thank you for your honest review about your experience in the Amstel Brasserie. It is regrettable to note that we could not fulfil your expectations during your lunch. Therefore I would like to apologize. We strive for perfection, so we appreciate your feedback. I have discussed your review with the Executive Assistant Manager who will take further steps for improvements. I would like to ask you to contact us via amstel@ihg.com to further discuss your experience.

Anita Bos

There are newer reviews for Amstel Brasserie at InterContinental Amstel Amsterdam

Reviewed 8 July 2017

After a day dodging the "killer bikes" it is a true pleasure to return to the comfort and fine service of this lovely Brasserie.
A small, but delicious variety of morsels are available and the coffee is grand.

Anita B, General Manager at Amstel Brasserie at InterContinental Amstel Amsterdam, responded to this reviewResponded 11 July 2017

Dear guest,

Thank you very much for your review on TripAdvisor. It is a pleasure to read that you enjoyed so much at the Amstel Brasserie. I look forward to welcome you back soon when visiting Amsterdam again.

Reviewed 20 June 2017

It was wonderful to enjoy Amsterdam on water! You get a feeling you are floating in a big cruise ship! First drinks on the terrace then the main courses inside, but still with great views! It is perfect to celebrate special occasion or simply come for a lunch and coffee in a lively but not so noisy surrounding.

Anita B, General Manager at Amstel Brasserie at InterContinental Amstel Amsterdam, responded to this reviewResponded 23 June 2017

Dear guest,

Thank you very much for your review on TripAdvisor. It is a pleasure to read that you enjoyed so much of your evening at the Amstel Brasserie. I look forward to welcome you back soon when visiting Amsterdam again.

Reviewed 14 June 2017

The view is impeccable, the service is very good, sometimes even disturbing, to much.
I had a couple of times lunch in the past few weeks and the food is not very impressive. The hamburger is so so. But the Club Sandwich is even poorer. This is a "broodje" (roll) with a thin slice of chicken and some lettuce. An international hotel like Amstel should be ashamed to serve something like this for € 20,- The value is not over € 5,-
Such a beautiful place, great kitchen, great staff. But the Club Sandwich is below any standard. I am sure the kitchen can do much better then this.

Anita B, General Manager at Amstel Brasserie at InterContinental Amstel Amsterdam, responded to this reviewResponded 16 June 2017

Dear guest,

I would like to thank you for your honest review about your experience in the Amstel Brasserie. I am happy to read that you enjoyed the views and received good service. However, it is regrettable to note that we could not fulfil your expectations during your lunch. Therefore I would like to apologise. We strive for perfection, so we appreciate your feedback. I have discussed your review with the Executive Assistant Manager who will take further steps for improvements. I would like to ask you to contact us via amstel@ihg.com to further discuss your experience.

Reviewed 27 May 2017 via mobile

After having walked out of La Rive (see my review) we walked 5 steps to this delightful brasserie.

Looks more like a bar when you walk in but don't be put off.

The choice of food was varied, all well cooked and served with affection.

Table overlooking the water, we had a great evening and a delightful meal.

If I return to Amsterdam, I will return to the brasserie.

Anita B, General Manager at Amstel Brasserie at InterContinental Amstel Amsterdam, responded to this reviewResponded 31 May 2017

Dear guest,

Thank you for sharing your experience on TripAdvisor. I am more than happy to read that you savoured the food of the Amstel Brasserie. Also that you had a great evening with views over the Amstel River. I look forward to welcome you back at the Amstel Brasserie when visiting Amsterdam again.