“Neglected wine list”

Amstel Brasserie at InterContinental Amstel Amsterdam
Reserve with
Amstel Brasserie at InterContinental Amstel Amsterdam is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #618 of 4,096 Restaurants in Amsterdam
Price range: US$25 - US$56
Dining options: Reservations
Neighbourhood: Plantage & the East
Description: The Amstel Brasserie is the little brother of restaurant La Rive and makes an excellent alternative. The menu is seasonal with simple, brasserie-style dishes. It's the ideal venue for a relaxed lunch, dinner or for a drink. Alongside a varied three-course menu for the reasonable price of € 45,00, the Brasserie menu offers seasonal dishes and classic favourites such as Caesar salad, our tender Amstel burger or beef croquettes with brioche. The Amstel Brasserie has a relaxed atmosphere, the seating is level with the river Amstel. The interior design is inspired by the continuous procession of sailing boats, water taxis and rowing boats that you'll see pass by whether you're sitting out on the terrace or indeed inside in the brasserie, where the windows give an unrestricted view of the river.
Reviewed 3 August 2017 via mobile

The visit took place in a very sunny day in July. We chose a table by the river and the views were amazing.
The wait staff was efficient, friendly and competent, good to chat with.

Now about the food.

We had steak tartare, herring, guineafowl and steak. Some french fries were served, too.

As it was a very important business lunch and we had the reasons to celebrate, we opted for having prosecco to start with and Spanish red to accompany our main courses.

Prosecco was very good, so we expected the same from Spanish red... Then we heard, from the waiter "sorry, it is not available". OK, sometimes it may happen, so we opted for a bottle of nice Bordeaux. The waiter returned with the same message "sorry, this wine is not available, too".

It wasn't good to hear, two times in a row, that the items mentioned in wine list weren't available. It gave us an impression the wine list inflated artificially, while the actual availability was much less.

The wine list pages were not numbered.
So, we concluded the wine list was neglected.

As far as the food concerned, it was good, except French fries and Pavlova dessert. Potato was over fried while the plasticky berry in the dessert didn't go well with the sorbet.

So, I am taking 2 stars off.

Anita B, General Manager at Amstel Brasserie at InterContinental Amstel Amsterdam, responded to this reviewResponded 7 August 2017

Dear guest,

Thank you kindly for your honest review. I'm very happy to read that you enjoyed your dinner at the Brasserie. It is regrettable to note that we could not fulfil your expectations during your lunch. Therefore I would like to apologise. We strive for perfection, so we appreciate your feedback. I have discussed your review with the F&B Manager who will take further steps for improvements. Thank you once again.

Reviewed 24 July 2017

We ate here while waiting for our room. I am not sure what I was expecting when I ordered, but I was shocked by how good the food was here. I only wish that I had time to have another meal hear. Service, food and atmosphere were all top notch.

Anita B, General Manager at Amstel Brasserie at InterContinental Amstel Amsterdam, responded to this reviewResponded 25 July 2017

Dear guest,

Thank you very much for this positive review. It is great to read that we've been able to exceed your expectations and that you experienced delicious food. It also fills me with joy that the team provided you with friendly and helpful service. Thank you once again and we hope to welcome you back in the Brasserie when you visit our hotel another time.

Reviewed 14 July 2017 via mobile

This is my second time to Amstel Brasserie. The first time is 2 years ago, food and service at that time were not so good but we were really impressed by the canal view.
I give more more try this time as we have a business clients first time come to Amsterdam. Booked lunch there, had 2 -course menu ( beef tartar and king prawn), lamb fillet and burger.
The king prawn is super salty, lamb fillet is still with frozen smell while burger the beef is very hard ( medium we order)

The lunch costed 130 euro , basically we paid the price for the canal view.
So disappointed how can the Amstel hotel have such quality of food.

I don't think will go back for the 3 rd time.

Anita B, General Manager at Amstel Brasserie at InterContinental Amstel Amsterdam, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2017

Dear guest,

I would like to thank you for your honest review about your experience in the Amstel Brasserie. It is regrettable to note that we could not fulfil your expectations during your lunch. Therefore I would like to apologize. We strive for perfection, so we appreciate your feedback. I have discussed your review with the Executive Assistant Manager who will take further steps for improvements. I would like to ask you to contact us via amstel@ihg.com to further discuss your experience.

Reviewed 8 July 2017

After a day dodging the "killer bikes" it is a true pleasure to return to the comfort and fine service of this lovely Brasserie.
A small, but delicious variety of morsels are available and the coffee is grand.

Anita B, General Manager at Amstel Brasserie at InterContinental Amstel Amsterdam, responded to this reviewResponded 11 July 2017

Dear guest,

Thank you very much for your review on TripAdvisor. It is a pleasure to read that you enjoyed so much at the Amstel Brasserie. I look forward to welcome you back soon when visiting Amsterdam again.

Reviewed 20 June 2017

It was wonderful to enjoy Amsterdam on water! You get a feeling you are floating in a big cruise ship! First drinks on the terrace then the main courses inside, but still with great views! It is perfect to celebrate special occasion or simply come for a lunch and coffee in a lively but not so noisy surrounding.

Anita B, General Manager at Amstel Brasserie at InterContinental Amstel Amsterdam, responded to this reviewResponded 23 June 2017

Dear guest,

Thank you very much for your review on TripAdvisor. It is a pleasure to read that you enjoyed so much of your evening at the Amstel Brasserie. I look forward to welcome you back soon when visiting Amsterdam again.