“Unfriendly staff, unwelcoming environment”

Amigo Budget Hostel
Ranked #190 of 248 Speciality Lodging in Amsterdam
Reviewed 12 March 2017

The day when we arrived, the receptionist refused to let me and my friends checking in because we booked our room with my mom's credit card. The staff member (whose English was so poor that we could barely communicate) told us we cannot stay unless I show him my mother's credit card. Although the room was booked (and also paid by the time we got there) for my name, they did not let us check in until I payed with my own credit card. So I booked our room twice, once with my mother's card, once with mine. Finally they sent the money back to my mom's card after fighting with them for two hours. The staff and also the boss (to whom I was talking on the phone) was disrespectful, unprofessonal and threatening. They never really said sorry for the inconvenience, on the contrary, they blamed me for the situation. The boss also wanted to make me pay an extra fee for paying with credit card.It seemed to me that they tried to bargain over the price which for me was unacceptable. Althogether, I recommend you NOT TO STAY in this place if you want to enjoy your stay during your trip. If you don't take my advice and face any difficulties once you get there, don't be afraid to say no in case they want to make you pay more.

• Stayed: March 2017, travelled with friends
1  Thank 143_gnesm

Reviewed 6 March 2017 via mobile

This hotel is about a 20 minute taxi ride from the airport. This will cost you 60 euro if you are in a group of 5. The train is cheaper but for ease with bags we used the taxi service. The steps up are steep but they are not as bad as they have been described on here. There are not many of them up to the reception area. The steps are fine for groups of healthy young people. Check in was quick and easy. We stayed in room 107 which was on the same floor as the reception. The staff are very friendly and can speak great English. The room had a newly refurbished bathroom that was comfortable and air freshener and toilet roll was provided. Towels were provided on request. The bunk beds were comfy the room was very clean. There were plenty of plug sockets in the room. There is a smoking room inside the hotel but the smoke does not go into the rooms.
For the price we paid this hotel was an absolute bargain and I highly recommend it. The tram stop is right outside the hotel and takes 10 min into the main part of Amsterdam for 7.90 euro for a 24 hr pass. Well worth it. The lovely reception staff even printed off our boarding passes for the flight back for free and booked our taxi to the airport for us. Fantastic weekend break. Brilliant stay. Beautiful country! We Will be back soon. Thank you for everything!

Stayed: March 2017, travelled with friends
1  Thank Sara1535
Reviewed 26 February 2017 via mobile

Stayed there with friends for a 3 nights. Nice hostel, easy to find. Easy check in. Rooms nice and clean. Stayed in 3rd floor and the stairs are absolutely killer and VERY steep haha have really fun ! The problem is a bathroom. We had the toilet&shower toghether so take a shower or use the toilet is a big challenge. Staff are friendly. Reception ok. Smoking room alright. A minute from the hostel is tram nr.9 to Centraal station and back, even Uber is not much expensive. I recommend to buy city pass card! Deffo will be back. Thanks x

Stayed: February 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 17 February 2017

stayed in a 4 bed room which was well lit and had a mini fridge, microwave and kettle.
Stayed for 3 days and can't complain at all about the service or the room, even the shared shower cubicle and toilet were kept clean and stocked with toilet paper

the only issue is that with it being a hostel it can get VERY noisy at all hours so wouldn't recommend for families with young children, in addition (through no fault of their own) the stairs are incredibly steep and there is no lift so not suitable for the elderly or hard of walking.

Room Tip: ask for a lower floor room as there are a lot of steep stairs and no lift
  • Stayed: February 2017, travelled with friends
Reviewed 5 February 2017 via mobile

There's better hostels for a better price in Amsterdam. The room was okay, a bit smelly. There's no elevator and the stairs are pretty tiny so have fun going up loads of flights of stairs. There's no kitchen, just a fridge and a microwave and a bathroom sink in a dirty room to fill up water bottles. The internet is a joke. Reception is nice.

Stayed: February 2017, travelled solo