Grand Hotel Amrath Amsterdam
US$325
US$225
Doubletree
  • Restaurant
Ibis Amsterdam Centre(Amsterdam)(Great Value!)
US$241
US$169
  • Restaurant
Crowne Plaza Amsterdam South(Amsterdam)(Great Value!)
US$201
US$187
  • Restaurant
WestCord Art Hotel Amsterdam(Amsterdam)(Great Value!)
US$111
US$103
  • Pool
US$373
US$351
4,205 results
All reviewsfree mini barwellness centreshipping houseelectric curtainssuperior deluxe roomshipping companycentral stationsteam roomrestocked dailytrouser pressnespresso machinespa areaseparate showercity viewthe red light districtunique hotelremote control
Reviewed 31 March 2018

I always choose Amrath as "home" during my stays in Amsterdam. The crew is just awesome, the rooms, depending on the election, could be amazing or just normal (but all of them are considered like suite). In the rooms, comfortable and huge beds, with nice pillows. Free bar that everyday is refilled, like the amenities of the bathroom. I have been there more than 15 times during the latest year, and I try to be in different rooms until having the perfect room (it is said that the one that is in the tower is the best one...). The breakfast is generous and with lot of options for everybody, cooking for you omelettes or special dishes if needed. The SPA is quite nice and the gym, although is small, is enough to keep fit during the weeks in Amsterdam.

Room Tip: Best room, from my perspective: 204 and all the rooms in the modern side.
  • Stayed: February 2018, travelled on business
Amrath A, General Manager at Grand Hotel Amrath Amsterdam, responded to this reviewResponded 2 April 2018

Dear alberto l,

We are honored you chose to stay with us yet again, thank you for sharing your experience with us and others on this site!
Thank you for your kind comment on our staff’s service! I will make sure to pass your compliment on to our staff, they will be happy to know that you enjoyed their service.
I am happy to hear that you were comfortable in the spacious room allocated to you with its comfortable bedding and complimentary minibar and that you enjoyed the large and varied selection of our breakfast buffet.
How wonderful that you enjoyed our spa facilities in our Wellness center as well.
It was a delight having you with us once again and we look forward to welcome you back soon! For your next potential visit, make sure you book with us directly for the best rates and most complete information on the hotel and its surroundings. You can do so either via email reservations@amrathamsterdam.com or via our website.

Reviewed 31 March 2018 via mobile

- first day of stay ... and our room wasn’t cleaned- upon informing the front desk and personally telling the housekeeping to come back—- she never did. Also our room did not have the do not disturb sign all day - just nobody came by. When we asked about this from the front desk they said they can’t do much but send us towels and other items late night.

- we tried to call the front desk all night because we were feeling so hot — turned out there is only climate control and not an ac. So we had to open the windows to survive. (Not so common to other 5 star properties)and nobody picking up the phone was also a first.

- room was mediocre - paint was coming off.. mini bar is free with water, beer and other drinks - which is nice.

-maze like hotel - our room was tucked in the corner of the hotel.. took us a walk, 2 elevators separated by a bit to get us there.

-my flight arrived early and check in was at 2. After being in the area for 5 hours I got the room at 130. But since this is based on availability, I understand.

-asked for a tooth paste and tooth brush.. didn’t come that day.. asked for it the second day and they did send.

-saving grace was Barry at concierge who was really kind to us and helpful in many ways. Whether it was organizing tickets or recommending restaurants - he did his best. The two stars are for him.

We are still on day 2 of our stay, I hope the next two days are slightly better.

1  Thank anisar11

Dear anisar11,

While I wish your experience with us would have been better, I want to thank you for sharing your valuable comments with us. Here at the Grand Hotel Amrath Amsterdam we deem the feedback of our guests as crucial means to improve on our services.
Having said that I regret to hear about the negative experience you had with housekeeping neglecting to clean your room and our Front Desk staff not being able to handle the situation up to your satisfaction. I am sorry to hear that this unresponsive attitude remained constant during your stay as they could not assist you with the climate control at night or provide you with a dental kit. I understand that this must have been very frustrating for you and for this I would like to apologize.
As for your comment on the general upkeep of our hotel, I am very sorry to hear that you feel that way. Here at the Grand Hotel Amrath Amsterdam we try our utmost to renovate where necessary to maintain the comfort of 5 star facilities with respect to the original charm and character of our monumental building. I regret that you did not feel we achieved this during your stay. Thank you for bringing this to our attention, we will look into this.
How unfortunate to hear that you had difficulty navigating through the hotel. Our hotel is located in a monumental building which was transformed into a hotel in the early 2000's with slightly unconventional spaces and layout as a result of this. I apologize if this caused you inconvenience in any way.
I will make sure to communicate your positive comments to our concierge Barry. He will be happy to hear that you enjoyed his service.
We hope that you will consider giving us a second chance to redeem ourselves from this experience and prove that we are able to provide our guests with the 5 star experience that so many have grown fond of throughout the years.
If you do, please book with us directly for the best rates and most complete information on the hotel and its surroundings. You can do so either via email reservations@amrathamsterdam.com or via our website.

Reviewed 31 March 2018 via mobile

This hotel is quite quirky and beautiful, particularly given its history, crazy corridors, and fantastic old stair cases and elevators. The rooms are nicely decorated (gothic but classy), the free mini bar is a nice touch (limited and ok quality drinks), and the bed is very comfortable. My issue is really with the staff - they can never get it right. This time it was the woman at check in who gave us a completely inaccurate description of our room, the barman who could not be bothered serving any food 5 minutes after the main kitchen closed, and then the 24 hour room service which isn't 24 hour as the room service person clarified - the kitchen apparently is closed from 10pm to 11pm according to him. See the picture I attached of the room service menu which clearly does not say any of this. I personally have been getting so frustrated with the service here everytime I visit I've finally convinced my husband that we should find a hotel that has better service when we visit Amsterdam (and luckily he has finally agreed to this).

1  Thank Alizeh H

Dear Alizeh H,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us and others on this site! Thank you for your kind comments on the unique style and charm of our monumental building, I am delighted that you were able to appreciate it.
How nice to hear that you were happy with the room allocated to you with its complimentary minibar and comfortable bedding.
As for your comment on our service, I sincerely regret to hear that you feel that way! Here at the Grand Hotel Amrath Amsterdam we pride ourselves on our good service which have caused many of our guests to return, yet it is apparent that we did not achieve this in your particular situation. For this, we sincerely apologize! I will make sure to communicate this with the departments in question to ensure this does not happen again. Thank you for bringing this to our attention!
I would like to further discuss this important matter with you, if you would be willing. If so, please feel free to contact us at guestrelations@amrathamsterdam.com. We hope to hear from you soon!

Reviewed 31 March 2018 via mobile

Don’t stay here if you may need air conditioning because the hotel doesn’t have it. Also, they forgot to clean our room. Didn’t expect this from a 5 star hotel. However, the Conceiarge was really helpful.

1  Thank Zain S

Dear Zain S,

We appreciate you sharing your valuable input with us. We are sorry that your stay with us has left a negative impression on you.
We're sorry to hear you were disappointed by the fact that our hotel does not have airconditioning. Because our hotel is located in a monumental building we are unfortunately not allowed by the government to make great evasive changes such as installing a central airconditioning system. What we do have is a climate control system which circulates and refreshes the air but does not cool it. In the case that our guests experience discomfort because of the temperature in their room, we offer standing fans upon request.
As for your comments on our housekeeping neglecting to clean your room, we agree that this is not in line with the 5 star service experience we wish to achieve. I will make sure to communicate this to our Housekeeping Manager, our apologies for the inconvenience experienced.

Reviewed 30 March 2018

This is quite the oddest hotel in some ways. The rooms are oddly numbered, but large and spacious, good TVs, good lighting, comfortable. The bathroom was very good, good knicky knacks, soaps etc.

The minibar was free, but the breakfast was extra. My advice, drink the minibar and skip the breakfast.

I don't know why the minibar is free, and I have no ambition or interest in it. However I drank a sparkling water, brushed my teeth in beer, washed my socks in Merlot, thereby answering the question, "if it's free, do people drink more".

My bedroom was 504, and had a strange section in the corner. I opened that door, which led to another door, which led to a wide alley, If it was a knocking shop, or you want to sneak your mistress in on the quiet, then these rooms are ideal.

Skip the breakfast, it isn't very good, go eat somewhere else. I had the room service salmon in the evening, it was surprisingly good with excellent chips. There is a nesprsso in the room, iron and all the rest. The bathroom was good.

Room Tip: Its a spa hotel, perhaps there are many services I didn't use, so I think any rating but very good would be unfair.
  • Stayed: March 2018, travelled on business

Dear Fishbangle,

Thank you for your valuable input and sharing your experience with us and others on this site!
I am delighted to hear that you were comfortable in the spacious room allocated to you with its nespresso machine, luxury bathroom and rituals toiletries.
I am sorry to hear that you had difficulty navigating through the hotel. Our hotel is located in a monumental building which was transformed into a hotel in the early 2000's with slightly unconventional spaces and layout as a result of this. I apologize if this caused you inconvenience in any way. As for your comment on our breakfast, I am sorry to hear that you feel that way! I will communicate this to our Restaurant Manager so he can look into this. Thank you for bringing this to our attention. I am pleased that the salmon dish you ordered with room service was to your liking.
I hope that despite this the remainder of your stay with us was pleasant and we hope to be able to welcome you back again! For your next potential visit, make sure you book with us directly for the best rates and most complete information on the hotel and its surroundings. You can do so either via email reservations@amrathamsterdam.com or via our website.

Kind regards,