“Delicious steak and/or lobster at affordable price”
Review of Restaurant RED

Restaurant RED
Ranked #168 of 4,514 Restaurants in Amsterdam
Price range: US$21 - US$29
Cuisines: French, International
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Canal Ring (Grachtengordel)
Description: Restaurant Red is with its unique concept, lobster and beef fillet, one of Amsterdam's favorite dining spots. Overlooking the city's most picturesque canal, the 'Keizersgracht', Restaurant Red is ideally located in a canal house in the middle of the old city center of Amsterdam. Red is famous for her hospitable service, informal and warm ambiance, friendly prices and lasting quality. Red has been a 'must' for eight years now for everyone who is looking for an exquisite culinary experience. Whether you are touring the nearby museums and attractions or visiting Amsterdam for business, Red is the ideal place for your evening. We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you at Red in the nearby future!
Reviewed 26 October 2017

Small nice restaurant in the center of Amsterdam specialized in steak and/or lobster.
Small choice but that guarantees a very good quality at a reasonable price level. Also the side dishes, pommes and salat, at a very good level. Attractive and affordable wine card. Fluid service.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,174)

Reviewed 25 October 2017

Several of us went here on our last night in Amsterdam .Limited menu .It all revolves around lobster and Steak .But the food is good .I had Steak Tartare to start .Which in my opinion needed a bit more seasoning .But still was good .Then I had Lobster and steak .Which came with salad and fries .Nice restaurant and attentive staff .Also the Lobster Bisque soup looked very good .That some of my companions had .

Felipa F, Manager at Restaurant RED, responded to this reviewResponded 2 November 2017

Dear Bradley,

Thank you for your feedback, we appreciate that a lot. We are glad to hear that you and your companions had a lovely night!

Reviewed 19 October 2017

Went here for a nice meal with my wife on our honeymoon. The restaurant is fine dining, nice atmosphere, quality food and service. The wine was also very good and had a good selection. Be sure to make a reservation ahead of time. Probably best place for surf and turf around Amsterdam. Really loved the béarnaise sauce!

Dear Guest,

We are very glad to hear that you and your wife had a lovely dinner and that you loved our Béarnaise sauce! Thank you for you feedback, we appreciate it a lot.

Reviewed 14 October 2017

I lived in Amsterdam for several years and was a regular at RED. This month I visited for the first time since returning to the US and it's still wonderful. It's a high-concept restaurant, only serving tournedos and lobster, but I have never had steaks like these anywhere! They are consistently so tender, they melt in your mouth. The only sides available are salad and frites (french fries), and they are the freshest salads and crunchiest frites anywhere. The bearnaise alone is worth going to this place for! The service is formal, yet friendly and efficient, and the dining room is intimate and all green, even though the place is called RED and the only entrees are red! I swore when I left Amsterdam that if I ever returned, I'd be back. I went with my traveling companion and some Dutch friends, and was thrilled t know that the standards are still as high as ever. I love this place, recommend it to everyone I know who ever goes to Amsterdam, and will definitely be back next time! Thank you, RED for a lovely evening (and many lovely evenings in the past)!

Dear David,

Thank you very much for your feedback, we appreciate it a lot.
We are very happy to hear that you've experienced the same service and that we've kept our standards high! Added to this, we are also glad to hear that you and your companions loved our food!

Hope to see you again during your next visit.

Reviewed 13 October 2017

I agree with the previous reviewers about that overated "famous" restaurant. THe best description for that place would be "OKish food - HORRIBLE service".
As the previous reviewers, we booked the table for 18:00 and were informed that we would need to vacate by 20:00. So, we started. I ordered a glass of champagne (10 EUR), the arrogant waiter poured me flat champagne that was left at the bottom of the bottle. She could obviously see what she was pouring but pretended she didn't notice.
She forgot about the water we ordered. Had to remind her after 15 mins, she did not apologize.
Then, caviar came as a starter. I asked the waiter where the caviar was coming from, even gave her a clue ("Iran, France, Russia"), as she obviously did not have a clue where the caviar could come from. You obviously do not bother giving your staff any training about the products you serve, do you.
So we finished the starters, which did not require ANY cooking and could be assambled even by a 6 year old. Caviar with blinis and crem fraiche, how more banal and predictable it can get? :))
But we did not know the worst was coming - a whole hour waiting for our main course, which only arrived at 19.30. As we had a concert of Chris Rea at nearby Carre theatre at 20.00, we hoped for a quick pre-theatre dinner with a simple starter and main, we allocated 1,5 hours for that, that's why we chose that restaurant with simply dishes that require minimal cooking!
I do not know why this place thinks they are a pretentious and sophisticated fine restaurant, they are not!!! An OK, basic, overpriced brasserie I would call it..
So, the waiter brought us the mains after an hour of waiting and, guess what, she did not apologize or something. I was so stressed and exhausted by waiting that could not but tell ther that that was not exceptable. To this she just got defensive and replied that next time we need to inform them about the concert etc (heey, did not you tell us first that the table must be vacated by 20:00? and do you want to tell me that it took you one hour to serve us the food because WE did not inform you that if you respect the client and expect them to enjoy the food they look forward to and pay for, not just swallowing it in rush and stress and not even noticing it's taste, (and what about dessert?!) then you need to be just a little bit quicker?
When I said that this was not the response I extected she got really rude and repeated, almost shouting, twice "DO NOT TALK TO ME LIKE THIS!!!" and went away, coming back in a minute only to through the bill on our table! And you then ask why everyone thinks that Dutch are rude and customer service in this country is non-existent??
I was about to cry, I wanted to escape from that place immediately and swallowed that damn lobster only because we waited for so long and paid for it. I do not remember how it tasted. By the way, the fries were disgusting (definitely out of a packet, may be that was just a wrong night and a wrong chef as other reviewers mention divine fries...) and the tiny portion of the side salad was just a joke.
The only good thing I can say is about the manager/superviser, who came to our table to apologise and eventually took the drinks off the bill. I would say his attempt to fix the situation helped a bit with the spoilt evening and only because of him I give 2, not 1 point in this review.
The next day we went to Jansz for the first time and had one of the most wonderful meals and dining experiences ever! Amazing food, amazing service, the place we will come back again and again and recommend to everyone!
As for RED - well, things happen...

1  Thank Tatiana A