All reviewssteep stairsfirst flooraround the cornerrailway stationapartmentluggage
Reviewed 8 May 2014

We were staying at Wherels's Canal House for 3 nights. The house is really by the canal which is really nice. The location is close to city centre and less than 15mins walk from train station. One thing is that there are a prostitute houses at the alleys behind the house.

The house is cozy and really give a home feeling. We especially like the kitchen that we did cook a meal one night. Since we are 3 people, 2 of us were sleeping on the double bed and one needed to slept at the attic. Finally, nice breakfast was served everyday.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank Susanna S
Reviewed 21 April 2014 via mobile

We stayed in the house next door for a couple of April nights, and it took a while before we started feeling comfortable. The manager was very nice and friendly, and the apartment with patio extremely cute, but we simply weren't used to a place like this - we felt like visiting someone, and that someone was just somewhere (maybe doing groceries), and he/she would be puzzled to come back home and find us, total strangers, there. :-) The first evening was a little funny for this reason, but we slept extremely well, and by the breakfast time we were all thumbs up for this experience. It was like waiting for Santa Clause when we heard the breakfast being delivered in the kitchen! And what a delicious breakfast it was with lots of fruit, fresh juice and excellent cheese and bread and eggs. Only the croissants were a bit too flaky, but that might be just my personal preference.

Wherels had a great location, close to the station as well as the shops and city centre. It was easy to stop by "at home" to have a cup of coffee or to have a little rest from time to time.

We had a rather cold week for our vacation, so the house was quite chilly, too. It was however possible to turn the heat on and have the flat much warmer.

I gave only three stars for the cleanliness, but that doesn't mean that the house wasn't clean, because it was. Everything was just generally a bit scruffy and old. I saw a mouse trap in the kitchen cupboard and sort of couldn't get over it. But it was not set, nor did I see or hear anything else mouse-related, so it was just my fixation. And made me miss my two cats at home! :-D

All in all, I was impressed with the friendliness of staff, the lovely, quiet "home of our own in Holland" and the unique experience. I would definitely prefer this to a sterile mass hotel. Wherels has charm!

• Stayed: April 2014
Reviewed 13 July 2013

Rooms: Great rooms, clean and very spacious. Beds were comfortable and large. There was a shared courtyard which was nice, though we didn't put it to use. We booked both rooms for a family of 5 and felt it was the perfect set up. There were 2 bathrooms which is always convenient when traveling in a large group.

Location: Very convenient if you're traveling by train, it is 5 minutes away from the Haarlem central station. It is more tricky if you are traveling by car. Our navigation system's map was apparently out of date and it kept trying to take us into dead ends and against one way traffic. This was only an issue when we wanted to drive to the front door to drop our luggage off. With that said, if you have a cellphone data connection and use Google Maps, it will easily guide you there (the maps are more up to date). They suggested parking 5 minutes away at the train station, which isn't too much of a hassle. Haarlem is also a much nicer place to stay than Amsterdam - which is extremely over rated in my opinion. Haarlem is quieter, cleaner and has a nicer small town feel to it. Haarlem has all of the features of Amsterdam but without the mess and unpleasantness of being in a big, crowded, noisy and messy city.

Service: Breakfast is nice and our hosts were more than glad to help us look up directions. You can see a picture of the breakfast. There was also washer/dryer available. Internet is fast (!!!) and a joy to use.

Overall I have nothing negative to say about this B&B, and am very glad that we decided to stay there intead another place in Amsterdam.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank gk_terato
Reviewed 8 July 2013

This B&B was quiet, yet central to most attractions in Haarlem. The room opened onto a patio through French doors. The breakfasts were excellent with lots of fresh fruit. Complimentary coffee, tea, wine and beer was appreciated.

Room Tip: We stayed in the family room.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank dbowdle
Reviewed 28 June 2013

I was a little anxious about finding a place to stay in Haarlem with my 2 brothers, but the reviews on this site helped persuade me to chose Wherels. Now I can add my voice to the many glowing comments on here and say that it exceeded my expectations.
We stayed in the attic room; upon arrival, we found a tray of cookies, box of nuts, tea bags, hot chocolate, and a stocked fridge with wine and water (no extra charge). It was a really welcoming touch. The room itself was clean and bright; soft, comfortable bed, nice bathroom, TV, electric kettle, wooden floors. The breakfasts were delicious and enough food to fill up my ravenous, college-athlete brothers. It was easy and fun to get around Haarlem from this location, and close to the bus and train station. All in all, I have rarely had such a pleasant and enjoyable stay anywhere. Many thanks to Reineke and Rosa. Will return.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family